Pushing Daisies

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Has anyone seen this series before?

I just watched an episode tonight on cable..... its SO different!

Loved the "narrator". So stylised it was gorgeous! And one after one of the cream of the crop of character actors. Is it this good all the way through?

There seems to be the one theme (location, the power he has of bringing people back to life for one minute, or killing them with one touch, the central characters),..... so are the story lines different every episode or is it supposed to follow on in the series.

They seem to kill of some really big characters. Do more and more appear to be killed off (like guest appearances)?

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I'm not going to give anything away, but it does stay good, even if it starts to run out of steam towards the end. I enjoyed it.

Kind of in the middle of series 1...somewhere...

Anyway, I love Pushing Daisies! :laugh: It's sooooo... yeah, Del got it: different. It's creative, it's pretty, it's awkward and really weird sometimes, but in the positive way, the characters are just adorable (gotta love how that pie-maker talks...) and I like the way they can keep up that romantic bit without much of a romance really, 'cause they can't toch...
It's a shame there's only 22 episodes of it :(
BTW, Del, the pattern is quite the same, but there's a story-line in it too, so you should watch them in chronological order, I think...

Willem

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2010
Weert, The Netherlands
Couldn't agree more. It's quirky, it's different, it's technocolour. People burst into song and it doesn't seem weird. And the no-touching is soooo heartbreaking!

PIty it had to end so soon, and the rushed wrap-up left something to be desired.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Really loved this show!! Never heard of it until we got Netflix. Watched both seasons and loved it! The PI (can't remember his name) has some of the best lines. :laugh: It was absolutely painful to get to the end, knowing there were no more episodes. It's criminal.

If you enjoy it, you'll probably also enjoy Eli Stone. Just two seasons of that I think.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Catch-up said:
The PI (can't remember his name) has some of the best lines. :laugh:
Emerson Cod - he was great, but my favourite was Olive.

Emerson Cod: Sounds like you're a narcoleptic.
Ned: I suffer from sudden and uncontrollable types of deep sleep?
Emerson Cod: What's the other one?
Ned: Necrophiliac.
Emerson Cod: Words that sound alike get mixed up in my head.
Olive: Me, too. I used to think masturbation meant chewing your food.
[awkward silence]
Olive: I don't think that anymore.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Watched another episode last night... (SO tired and had to sit up til midnight) The one where the lady from the make a wish foundation was killing insurance people "with kindness" :laugh:

I wiki-ed the show... NO I did not cheat...(I am still getting to know the characters) but apparently the reason it ended so strangely was that it was just getting a following and then the writers strike hit in America :( The money men didn't realise it was popular and said they were going to axe it so the writers had to try to tie loose ends up.. it got picked up again, but by then the damage was done... THEN it went on to win multiple awards.... would have been nice if it had proceded as it might have done huh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pushing_Daisies

The article explains alot about how they styled the show... genius.

Even how they chose the cars was amazing....

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Oh yeah...

but I meant this..

Automobiles featured in the series are often mint-condition vintage vehicles, though some newer vehicles have been used (such as a mid-1990s Chevrolet Lumina APV minivan, a Hummer, or a 2006 Toyota Prius). Emerson drives a mid-1960s Lincoln Continental with suicide doors in like-new condition. Ned is also seen driving a very old, but like-new car, a Mercedes-Benz W108. Other characters drive decades-old vehicles as well. 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor cars in their ambulance and hearse configurations figure frequently in the series. Old-fashioned trolley cars can also be seen in several shots panning in to the Pie Hole.

User Menu

Newsletter