Rankin' Rankin

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
As in Robert Rankin.

Based on the suggestions of you folks on other humorous British writers, I've been plowing through the relatively small selection of Rankins available through my public library system. So far, I've read (in order, although not necessarily wisely)

The Toyminator
Raiders of the Lost Car Park
(Forgot the name) The one with the evil protagonist who gets a job flicking a light switch all day for the telephone company)
Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse
Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls (still in it)

My overall impression is that, while entertaining and often very funny, Rankin shares Jasper Fforde's terrible flaw of trying to out-clever Doug Adams, PTerry, Neil Giaman and other, far superior and original British humor writers.

His characters are not particularly deep, compelling or distinguishing, his plots are not very original, usually some kind of very explicit parody of detective, SF, crime or other Hollywood genres. And his use of overly 'cure' literary tricks (like repeating narrative sentences as dialogue, or using annoying made-up words like "bestest") gets cloying after awhile.

In other words, well-written but rather forgettable trash that is fun to read for its own sake but doesn't leave you thinking "Wow, this is an amazing book" the way PTerry's best work often does.

Just my .02

J-I-B

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'd generally agree with that. I've read a few and found them amusing, but wouldn't go out of my way to read any more. Actually, I found his first book, The Antipope, very disappointing.

Still, it wouldn't do if we all liked the same thing. For example, some people think Pyramids is Terry's best book. :eek:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Tonyblack said:
I'd generally agree with that. I've read a few and found them amusing, but wouldn't go out of my way to read any more. Actually, I found his first book, The Antipope, very disappointing.

Still, it wouldn't do if we all liked the same thing. For example, some people think Pyramids is Terry's best book. :eek:
I found Pyramids.......not my favourite. Not saying I didn't enjoy it. Perhaps one day I will reread it and see what I missed. (though I rarely read any book more than once there are a few that I have; maybe one of the reasons I am a fan of the DW books). But there are other DW books I would and have reread. One not being Pyramids.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Tonyblack said:
For example, some people think Pyramids is Terry's best book. :eek:
I shall refrain from making qualitative comments about "Pyramids" for three reasons:

1. This is a discussion of Rankin;
2. My views on Pyramids are pretty well known;
3. Any negative comments about Pyramids puts one at risk of getting poohed upon.

:laugh:

J-I-B

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
Robert Rankin is very funny and gets funnier the more you read, but I'd overall agree with J-I*b. (except about Pyranids because he's a twit! :laugh: )
I didn't realize Rankin wrote a book called "Pyranids." Why is he funny with his other books and yet a twit for writing this book? Was this one yet another tired Rankin parody, in this case of a crappy PTerry book?

Ooops. Broke my own vow. Here we go....

:laugh:

J-I-B

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
My Favorite Rankin books are the original trilogy, Fforde copied his style in one of his books, he does does not try to out funny anyone as that is his own stlye some of his characters are based on real people and places, and is one of the authors who Terry says makes him laugh,I was at a Con one time where the Robster was the GOH and Terry turned up as a fan. :)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I quite enjoyed what I've read so far. I wouldn't call the books trash, they've got some clever parts and some annoying parts (just like Fford). But the clever parts are not as clever as Terry's clever parts.

Apr 29, 2009
London
Sjoerd3000 said:
I've read a few Rankin books, and I think they're great :p

Favourite so far is Witches of Chiswick ;)
I haven't forgotten!!

Still trying to get East of Ealing out of Play.com, who say they posted it to me on 8th October! :rolleyes:

Once I've re-read it, I'll post it off to you with the next 3 or four in the series.

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
Bouncy Castle said:
Sjoerd3000 said:
I've read a few Rankin books, and I think they're great :p

Favourite so far is Witches of Chiswick ;)
I haven't forgotten!!

Still trying to get East of Ealing out of Play.com, who say they posted it to me on 8th October! :rolleyes:

Once I've re-read it, I'll post it off to you with the next 3 or four in the series.
No worries :p

There's no rush ;)

User Menu

Newsletter