Redwall by Brian Jacques

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Has anyone else here read this excellent series? :laugh:

Redwall

I'd never heard of them until a few years ago when Shalene mentioned that I might like them. Kind of ironic that an American told me about a series by a British writer, but Jacques books are popular in the uS as well as here.

The best way I can simply descibe them is like Wind in the Willows with attitude! :laugh:

The series is about the creatures of a land and particularly those living behind the walls of Redwall Abbey. There are mice, squirrels, otters, moles, badgers, hares etc. They are the good guys. Then there are the 'vermin' - stoats, weasles, rats, foxes etc.

They have real battles and creatures even get killed. :eek: But there are great laughs along the way. Jacques is one of those writers who will have you chuckling one minute and shedding a tear the next.

I'd highly recommend them.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Yep, the books certainly are bloodthirsty - great fun though. I always find myself reading bits out loud and doing the accents. :laugh:

The moles have a deep Somerset accent - bit like my dad really. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I found this bookstore chat that Brian Jacques gave in Austin Texas and thought I'd post links to it. He's hysterically funny and I'd love to meet him someday. :laugh:

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I met the man once in his home town of Liverpool. He's a spiffing 'chap'. It was a talk he was giving to a bunch of schools who had to leave early and I had flown in specially so I was the only talking to him afterwards.

May 8, 2011
Sunnydale Highschool
Me and my friend ( she loves Redwall just as much as I do) were just flicking through random Redwall sites and it said that he died today ( this was on the 5th of February) and we both started crying

User Menu

Newsletter