Refresh my memory please

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I've just finished reading Lords & Ladies & listening to Maskerade on audio. But the latter is abridged so I have a few questions before I get Carpe Jugulum out of the library (all my TP books are in boxes at Mr Dotsie's house in Cambs & my library didn't have Maskerade exept on audio).

1. What is happening with Magrat in Maskerade? Does she get a mention? Is she still trying to be a witch?

2. Does Agnes go back with the witches at the end to make up the third witch?

Thanks folks ;)

Dec 15, 2008
Norway
Magrat has just married and become queen, that's why she's not going with the other two. They are, after all, going to the opera to persuade Agnes to be the third witch. And they succeed. Agnes does come back home a while after Granny and Nanny return, and she moves into Magrats old cottage :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Nanny and Granny actually pass Agnes walking the 500 miles back to Lancre. They don't stop the coach to pick her up though... :rolleyes: ;)

I always get a little cross when I read Maskerade as I'd have liked Agnes to succeed as an opera singer. Nanny and Granny going to "rescue" her is somewhat annoying, but typical of them. :p

Jul 26, 2008
Im glad somebody brought a thread up like this, im just re-reading Moving pictures and something i missed the first few times round :oops: Ankh Morpork has a "Subway" !!!!!!! has it ever been mentioned in any other book? I wonder if its something that could get included in another future book as after all i would have thought this is something quite important and very overlooked.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The_Discworldaholic said:
Im glad somebody brought a thread up like this, im just re-reading Moving pictures and something i missed the first few times round :oops: Ankh Morpork has a "Subway" !!!!!!! has it ever been mentioned in any other book? I wonder if its something that could get included in another future book as after all i would have thought this is something quite important and very overlooked.
I don't remember any mention of a subway in Moving Pictures. o_O Can you post the context of the reference?

Interestingly, in Thud! there seems to be all the makings for an underground railway - including a Dwarf mine sign that sounds suspiciously like the London Underground signs.

I understand that there have even been A-M Underground Railway maps made by fans since Thud! ;)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I must say (with it's being Gaspode's first outing MP is right near the top of my faves list) I can't recall anything about a subway as in underground railway sense in that - and I still haven't read Thud! :rolleyes:

There's the subterranean Moving Picture house of course which I think had tunnels going out to sea - certainly a fair way under the dunes...

The only other candidate is the Ankh-Morpork being built on Ankh-Morpork thingie, which was covered more in Men at Arms and in The Truth especially but others as well... o_O

o_O Well, my good old PC managed only to find this bit:

Of course, it is very important to be sober when you take an exam. Many worthwhile careers in the street-cleansing, fruit-picking and subway-guitar-playing industries have been founded on a lack of understanding of this simple fact.
But Victor had a special reason for keeping alert.
He might make a mistake, and pass.

But I think you didn´t mean this one, did you?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
TheMole said:
o_O Well, my good old PC managed only to find this bit:

Of course, it is very important to be sober when you take an exam. Many worthwhile careers in the street-cleansing, fruit-picking and subway-guitar-playing industries have been founded on a lack of understanding of this simple fact.
But Victor had a special reason for keeping alert.
He might make a mistake, and pass.

But I think you didn´t mean this one, did you?
Nice one Mole! But that really doesn't have to mean a subway in A-M - it seems to suggest generally subways anywhere. :)

Jul 26, 2008
Tony i dont have the book to hand its in the van but i think its on the bottom of page 49 of the new adult cover books but if im wrong i'll have to go and get it but im too knackered at the mo :)

Ok i got off my fat bum " not literal :) " and looked it is in fact page 41 so i was close.

Tonyblack said:
Nice one Mole! But that really doesn't have to mean a subway in A-M - it seems to suggest generally subways anywhere. :)
I agree.

Either that or it could just be another word for underpass, where a public footpath or road briefly goes under a road to avoid traffic. I used to say subway a lot when I was little, now I say underpass mostly. :)

User Menu

Newsletter