Reviewing Every Book I Ever Read

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014
Decided that I'd review every book I ever read, one review per day. Note: there will be spoilers. Also, these are stream-of-consciousness reviews and my memory of some of said books may be more hazy then others: these aren't books I've read recently, just ones I've ever read in the past. Leave a comment if you like.

Review #1: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Hands down my favorite book of all time. Ender's Game is the story of young Ender Wiggin, who gets drafted into Battle School so that he can learn how to lead an army to defeat an evil alien race known as the Buggers (or Formics, as they were later renamed).

Okay, sure, the fact that they're called the Buggers must seem incredibly silly (especially in England I'm sure) but if you can move past that what we get is a brilliant commentary on the nature of war and survival.

Basically, for some unknown reason the Buggers invade the planet Earth and have since retreated back to their home world after they were defeated by Mazer Rackham. As the story progresses not only do we find out that Mazer is alive but also that the Buggers simply didn't know that killing humans was the equivalent of killing individuals, horrifying the hive-minded Bugger race.

This, to me, works as a commentary on how wars can start off as nothing more than a cultural misunderstanding, thus highlighting the horror of war.

Ender eventually must go up against a bully known as Bonzo Madrid and, in his desperation to survive, accidentally kills him (he also killed another child near the beginning of the book). Now, it's made very clear that he only went as far as he did because he didn't want to die, didn't want to get hurt. Human beings lash out at each other all the time and, paradoxically survival is both good and bad. Good in that you continue to live on and bad in that the other person(s) does not, and even an innocent would-be victim can do monstrous things for the sake of that survival.

Ender laments the deaths of his tormentors and, after killing almost the entire Bugger race, laments their deaths equally. Why? Because death is always a tragedy, even if it's the death of an enemy.

Now, in the MOVIE version of Ender's Game Bonzo lives while most of the Bugger race still dies, accidentally implying that the death of one human child is somehow WORSE than the death of an entire species. Which is...unfortunate. But in cases of both the book and the movie it's made very clear that war is hell, one that should not be glorified and should not be repeated if possible. War should only be fought in cases of survival and/or preserving our way of life. War is horrible, it is not peace, but it can ironically lead to peace.

I first read this book when I was about fifteen and, ten years later, I have yet to find another book that I can call its equal. I've read it three times and even own a copy of the unedited book (the one that infamously uses the 'N' word).

Now, I know about Orson Scott Card's political reviews and to that I'll say just this: when it comes to war and understanding the basic right to life for everyone, even current enemies, the man is a genius and should be praised for this enlightened viewpoint. Ender's Game, to me, is more than a book: it is a commentary on the nature of war and survival, redemption and the love of all life, even life that you culturally disagree with.

Rating: Five out of five stars.

Whew! This was fun! Tomorrow I'll be reviewing Eva by Peter Dickinson. Until then! Thanks for reading!

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014
Re: Reviewing Every Book I Ever Read. One review per day.

Review #2: Eva by Peter Dickinson.

Anyone else read this one? Please comment if you have/tell me what you think of it.

Yet another book I read when I was around the age of fifteen. Eva follows the story of a girl named Eva (so nothing to do with Evangelion, then) who, after an auto accident, has her brain inserted into the body. Afterwards she becomes an environmentalist (specifically animal rights) because she now feels more connected with nature.

It's been a while since I last read this one but I still remember how this book made me think about treating animals, including insects, with more respect since they're living things, too.

I won't lie, I only vaguely remember this one but I still remember how amazed I was about it and its compelling main character. Sure, some might call it 'preachy' but, let's be honest: if YOU had your brain put into a chimpanzee wouldn't you be more inclined to try and stop animal testing? Just saying.

Score: Four and a half stars out of five. Seriously, it's better than it sounds.

Next time: The entire Harry Potter series.

Oh! and I know this review is a little early but...oh well!

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014

Review #3-#9: The Harry Potter series.

Spoilers!

-Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Yes I'm aware that it's Philosopher's Stone but, hey, I'm an American. Really enjoyed it.

-Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: First Potter book I ever read and my second favorite in the series. This, Ender's Game and Eva is what really got me into reading. Stayed up till' midnight to finish it up when I was a kid.

-Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: My least favorite in the series. Not because of the time travel thing but because the whole point of the novel is introducing a character that just got killed off anyway. Dag!

-Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: My favorite in the series. Lots of action and had a satisfying ending.

-Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Umm...yeah...I don't really remember this one so well...oops!

-Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: My father actually spoiled the whole 'Snape killed Dumbledore' thing so it actually took me a while to finish this one because I was so peeved off.

-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: I enjoyed this one but what the fudge was with Voldemort's STUPID Harry Potter is a Mary Sue (Gary Stu?) speech?! GAWD, Rowling, couldn't you just make an angry blog post like normal people?

Still love the series despite its flaws. Next time I'll be reviewing The School for Good and Evil and The School for Good and Evil: A World Without Princesses. Feel free to comment!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

How many books have you ever read, Jace? I couldn't even begin to work out how many I've read over the years. Probably in the tens of thousands. o_O

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014

I couldn't begin to guess. Keep in mind I'm NOT including simple twenty-something page children's books or books I've only partially read. That's part of the reason why I've made this thread: to find out. So I'll just keep listing em' until I can't remember any more!

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014

Review #20: Wolf Rider by Avi.

Okay, now we're getting really obscure here! I remember reading this book in high school and the most memorable things about it is how it starts (with a man calling someone saying "I just killed someone...") to its ending...which I won't reveal here because, honestly, this book is WAY too obscure to simply spoil here.

Anyway, it's a thriller/modern-day-mystery novel (the only one I ever read) and is about this kid who tries to find a supposed murderer. The book didn't make too much sense but, meh, it was good for what it was.

Score: Three out of five. Oh and next time I do plan to review The School for Good and Evil and its sequel. Honest!

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014

Review #21-#22: The School for Good and Evil and The School for Good and Evil: A World Without Princes by Soman Chainani.

Holy cruds I freakin' loved these books!

So, what these books are is a fantasy series about a school for good and evil, where princes, princesses, witches and monsters etc. are trained to grow up to star in their own fairy tales. It's a refreshingly original concept and it's utilized perfectly.

The series stars Agatha, a 'witch' who goes to the school for good and Sophie a 'princess' who attends the school for evil. Hijinks ensue.

I wish I could tell you more about this series but, well, you really SHOULD just read em'! Think Harry Potter meets Ella Enchanted in the best possible way!

Rating: Five out of five. Really fantastic. Next time, Ella Enchanted. and I can't stress this enough: READ THE SCHOOL FOR GOOD AND EVIL!!!

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014

Review #23: Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine.

Yet another really great fantasy. Ella Enchanted is a more personal fantasy story in that rather than focusing on someone out to save the kingdom or on a quest to save the princess it's about one girl trying to break a fairy's 'gift'. Said gift is being obedient: No matter what if the main character, Ella, is given a direct order she must obey it, even if it costs her her life!

The premise is extremely interesting and, although I don't usually like first-person narratives as much as third-person narratives this novel pulls it off spectacularly. Not as good as The School for Good and Evil but I'd be hard-pressed to find anything wrong with this fairy tale! I haven't seen the movie that's based on this book but from what I've seen...well, meh...

Anyway!
Rating: Five out of Five. Really good! Next time its Thirteen Days to Midnight.

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014

Review #24: Thirteen Days to Midnight by Patrick Carman

A story about a kid who gets the power to be indestructible and the power to transfer that ability to anyone he wants.

This book is pretty much like the movie Chronicle in that it's a 'what if regular people got super powers' story. It's what I'd call a modern-day thriller. Not going to spoil how it ends so I'll just say I'd recommend reading this one.

Rating: Four out of five.

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014

Review #25: Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott

A story about a square who gets taught about the world of three dimensions. It's actually much better than it sounds. Written in the 1800s this is easily the oldest book I've ever read. Half of the story is spent world-building how a two-dimensional land would work and gives us, the readers, a cool starting point once the Sphere is introduced to both the reader and the main character. Keep in mind you should probably skip the foreward(s) to this one as it (they) spoil the plot quite a bit.

Overall I really enjoyed this one.

Rating: Four out of Five.

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014
Re: Reviewing Every Book I Ever Read.

A few quick updates: First, decided to rename the thread since, obviously, I haven't been making a review once per day. Second: decided I won't be ranking the books I've read anymore. With that, let's start with number twenty-six.

Review #26: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

I usually don't read short stories but, luckily for me, this one is six interconnected stories so yeah. Basically Cloud Atlas is about the same soul traveling through time and going through new but sometimes similar experiences. There are six stories in all. There is...

Adam Eweing: a man who has a tropical parasite being cured by a doctor by the name of Henry Goose. Liked this story.
Robert Frobisher: A composer who works for an older composer. This story was...well, flat. and the ending stunk.
Luisa Rey: A reporter who discovers corruption at a nuclear power plant. pretty good.
Timothy Cavendish: An old publisher who winds up in a ghastly ordeal after an author of his commits murder on a critic. Loved this story.
Sonmi451: A clone becomes a Resistance leader. Loved this one too.
Zachry: A man goes to see the devil. Actually my second to least favorite story. It's still good though.

Overall I'd recommend this one simply because there aren't that many books quite like it, at least in my experience.

Next time I'll probably either review House of Leaves (just pretend I made the word 'House' in blue text) or Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk (the guy who did fight club). Haven't finished either book yet so expect my review to take a while. Also, if you have any books you'd think I'd like please recommend something in this thread!

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014
I have seen the movie. I finished most of the book by then and I found it to be quite good/accurate to the book save for the Sonmi451 story (which was still entertaining in the movie). They also improved on the Robert Frobisher story because he

SPOILER WARNING!

actually commits suicide for a reason while in the book it just sort of happens. I also enjoyed the Zachry story more in the movie. I still prefer the book but they did a very good job with it.

I'd also recommend the movie versions of Watchmen (the Director's Cut version) and Misery (read The Stephen King book).

Speaking of which...

Review #27: Misery by Stephen King.

If you haven't read this one, well, you should because it's really, really good! First (and so far the only...) Stephen King book I ever read and I enjoyed the Hell out of it. I won't go into too much detail here so I'll just say that if you liked movies like the Jason Bourne series or thriller novels in general then this is for you!

Okay, so, next time House of Leaves...probably, maybe...

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014
Review #28-#30: Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, and Shadow Puppets by Orson Scott Card

Woo! Thirty reviews done! Congrats to me! Anyway, let's get back to Card. The Shadow series, when compared to the novel that spawned it, Ender's Game, is way more about having fun with war than having any real message about it. According to the author himself it's like 'a game of Risk.' Basically it's a companion novel to Ender's Game, following the minor character of Bean as he works behind the scenes to help Ender and, later, must come up against a foe from his past.

Unlike Ender, a representation of humanity and how it both detests violence yet strives to survive in any circumstance, Bean is more his own character and is therefore a lot more interesting to follow. But what really makes the series worth it is the main antagonist, Achilles, who is one part Joker and three parts Mello from Death Note. In fact, the Death Note series SPOILERS when Near and Mello become to main investigators has the most similarities to the Shadow series.

As a single book Ender's Shadow is...okay. As a series, it's pretty awesome. If you've read Ender's Game and wanna see it done in a lighter, more entertaining way, do yourself a favor and read the Shadow series.

Next time House of Leaves...maybe probably. Oh! and if you have any suggestions of books I SHOULD read then post here please!

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014
Review #31: Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice.

It's been a while since I've been here. Anyway the last book I read was Interview with the Vampire. Fantastic book, the movie did it justice and would recommend any supernatural fans out there.

Next time it's Battle Royale.

User Menu

Newsletter