Ridcully Question

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ook!

Jun 21, 2010
UK - Somerset
Hi all, first time Topic...(please be gentle...) ;)

In FOC, near the end, (page 408, Corgi paperback) the Cheif Priest of Blind Io is mentioned. He's reffered to as Hughnon Ridcully... any relation to Archchancellor Ridcully?

I've read a fair number of the DW series, but i coulden't recall this mentioned...

Ook!

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Hellooo and welcome to the forum, Ook! :laugh:

If my memory serves me correctly, the Archchancellor and Hughnon are brothers, but they tend to be discreet about the relationship since wizards and priests aren't meant to get on with each other. I'm sorry I can't remember which book refers to this, tho.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
They are indeed brothers. If you have The Last Hero, illustrated by Paul Kidby, you'll see a picture of the Ridcully brothers. There's a remarkable likeness. ;)

The New Discworld Companion has this to say:

Ridcully, Hughnon.

Chief Priest of Blind Io and brother of Mustrum. He is married, but otherwise sensible and solid. Solid as a rock and sometimes as sensible.
:laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Now I'll be really annoyed until I can remember which book their relationship gets a mention in. It's where they're talking... "Still God-bothering?" "Still meddling with the fabric of the universe & things that man should not what of etc?" Garn! :laugh:

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
Dotsie said:
Now I'll be really annoyed until I can remember which book their relationship gets a mention in. It's where they're talking... "Still God-bothering?" "Still meddling with the fabric of the universe & things that man should not what of etc?" Garn! :laugh:
I think it was in Reaper Man?

edit: welcome to the site ook! :laugh:

Banzai

Lance-Constable
Jun 20, 2010
Oslo, Norway
insaneframe.blogspot.com
The book its mentioned in is the one with the 'living shoppingbaskets on wheels' caused by nothing is dying cause Death has wandered off wonderig how it is to be human. Its the 'Reaper man' isnt it?

The priest and the archchanselor is walking a little bit away from their wizards/priests thats in a big fight behind them, and they speak of how their mother would like them both to come over to hoghwatchs-dinner or something like that... that one of them isnt visiting as often as it should (think that was Ridcully)...

Apr 29, 2009
London
Reaper Man

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/D ... /ReaperMan

Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully's brother Hughnon is the High Priest of Blind Io and therefore the leader of Ankh-Morpork's clerics. They get on pretty well, but drop continuous cracks about each other's vocation:

Mustrum: How's things in the godbothering business?
Hughnon: Not bad. How's the tinkering with things men was not meant to understand?
Mustrum: Pretty fair. Pretty fair.

User Menu

Newsletter