STICKY Sad News for us all.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Och, weel... I read it noo. Aye, I'm a bit of a daftie and noo mistake! ;)

From Wossname - a new and stylistically original tribute to Pterry has popped up in Stokes Croft, Bristol.

And PC Gamer magazine has released their own tribute to Pterry. As you all know, he was an enthusiastic gamer and was featured on the cover of the first PC Gamer issue - in 1993 - and they featured an interview with him. Here it is, an interview with Pterry from the good old days.

Now please excuse me... I'm all choked up. :cry:

Rhianna finally commented on the future of the discworld on her twitter. She really has no interest in continuing the series without her father. or having anyone else do it. this includes any unfinished stories. but she is overseeing adaptations and is interested in those. IE tv, movies, etc.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
raptornx01 said:
I could understand not doing new stories. though I had hoped some of his unfinished works would be released. we know several stories were in various stages of development.

but I see where she is coming from.
I'm sorry but I don't want to read another Salmon of doubt style book I think DIscworld is a huge legacy and should be handled with the greatest of care

Prolekult

Lance-Constable
Jun 11, 2011
Well we managed to go and see the awesome graffiti tribute in London, it took us a while to find it but it was well worth it.
If anyone else is thinking of going to see it, you need to start from the busy end of Brick Lane and then go down Buxton Street and then Cave Street, this is not clear from the articles!

Ghost said:
raptornx01 said:
I could understand not doing new stories. though I had hoped some of his unfinished works would be released. we know several stories were in various stages of development.

but I see where she is coming from.
I'm sorry but I don't want to read another Salmon of doubt style book I think DIscworld is a huge legacy and should be handled with the greatest of care
Oh I agree. I wouldn't want just anyone finishing up what he started.

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
I have the greatest admiration for Rhianna making that decision. The following is a quote from an article in Digital Trends I read some time ago -

"Rhianna very much sees herself as the carrier of Discworld‘s reins rather than an active creative participant in future novels. “I do not see myself writing the books. I don’t think my skills and talents lie in that area, in all honesty. I don’t think I would be able to match up to him in that area,” she explained. “I think when people say they want more Discworld books, they just kind of want more Discworld books from my father. So unless I have an extremely good Ouija board setup, that’s really not going to happen unfortunately.”

“My father is very open about his disease and his support for assisted dying. I sincerely hope it’s going to be many years from now, but just as dad thinks about the endgame and how that might go, who might take over Discworld, I have to think about it as well,” she continued. “I would just be taking over his books because I’m his daughter, not because I have experience in that area. I don’t think anyone needs that. All I would be at best is a good mimic, and that’s not the creative life I want for myself to be honest. They’re sacred to him and I don’t want to risk endangering that in any way.”

MrsWizzard

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2009
United States
While I am very sad she won't be continuing the series, I completely understand why she doesn't want to. Much as we'd like to believe we'd love to see her own personal flare one the series, people would be looking for PTerry in them, and possibly grow bitter toward Rhianna for not being able to resurrect her father. Moreover, I imagine she wants what she puts out, in any medium, to be hers. Regardless of how much part she had in writing the Discworld novels with her father, I imagine she doesn't want to piggyback on PTerry's legacy. Even with her being the one writing the books, there would be very little room for her own voice.

And like she says about not wanting to write them without her father, I feel the experience would be hollow. It's one thing to ride a tandem bicycle by yourself, but it's entirely different to ride it alone when there used to be a second person.

I got my copy of Hogfather shortly before PTerry passed. I've seen the film adaptation, but it's the one Discworld book I've never actually read. I think I've been putting it off for reasons other than general lack of time.

Given that, I've read some of his non-Discworld books, but the bulk of them are entirely unknown to me, so even when I've read all of the Discworld novels through, I'll still have new adventures waiting for me in a sense.

Good on Rhianna for her choice. I hope she's found her peace and comfort, and I hope she finds as much inspiration in her future ventures.

Rob said exactly the same thing to us at the Australian Discworld Convention last week. There were several unfinished story ideas, but they will not be released (as none were in a state ready for that, they were all partly formed).

However, there will still be spin off material (like the Atlas) and adaptations produced, as best they can. Nothing's confirmed beyond what was previous talked about, however.

The only new piece of information was that there will be a Good Omens musical produced in Australia this year/next year.

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
Molokov said:
The only new piece of information was that there will be a Good Omens musical produced in Australia this year/next year.
Good Omens musical? I dunno if I like the sound of that.

Watch tv series sounds good though.

I'm glad that his unfinished work will be left alone.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm... I'd love to know if (and when) the Watch TV series might be coming to us Downunder. :|

We did get Hogfather on Aussie TV, but as for the two followups - The Light Fantastic and Going Postal - I had to hunt them down and purchase them in various shops, as there was no general release for us Aussies (at least, I never heard of one). So... any ideas?

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
RathDarkblade said:
Hmm... I'd love to know if (and when) the Watch TV series might be coming to us Downunder. :|

We did get Hogfather on Aussie TV, but as for the two followups - The Light Fantastic and Going Postal - I had to hunt them down and purchase them in various shops, as there was no general release for us Aussies (at least, I never heard of one). So... any ideas?
two ideas 1, illegally download them 2,Get your self a region free player (I don't know if they're available in Oz) and get them shipped over from either the UK or the US

User Menu

Newsletter