STICKY Sad News for us all.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I am certain that you will have all heard the terribly sad news that Sir Terry Pratchett OBE passed away today.

It seems that, on the announcement, the board shut down - presumably due to the number of members wishing to pay their respects. This is likely to be the case over the next few days, so I would ask you all to be patient.

This announcement from Transworld:

It is with immeasurable sadness that we announce that author Sir Terry Pratchett has died at the age of 66.
Larry Finlay, MD at Transworld Publishers:
"I was deeply saddened to learn that Sir Terry Pratchett has died. The world has lost one of its brightest, sharpest minds.
In over 70 books, Terry enriched the planet like few before him. As all who read him know, Discworld was his vehicle to satirize this world: he did so brilliantly, with great skill, enormous humour and constant invention.
Terry faced his Alzheimer's disease (an 'embuggerance', as he called it) publicly and bravely. Over the last few years, it was his writing that sustained him. His legacy will endure for decades to come.
My sympathies go out to Terry's wife Lyn, their daughter Rhianna, to his close friend Rob Wilkins, and to all closest to him."
Terry passed away in his home, with his cat sleeping on his bed surrounded by his family on 12th March 2015. Diagnosed with PCA1 in 2007, he battled the progressive disease with his trademark determination and creativity, and continued to write. He completed his last book, a new Discworld novel, in the summer of 2014, before succumbing to the final stages of the disease.
We ask that the family are left undisturbed at this distressing time.
All enquiries: Lynsey Dalladay, Publicist ldalladay@penguinrandomhouse.co.ukT: 0208 2316793 M: 07920 712543
A Just Giving page donating to the Research Institute to the Care of Older People (RICE) has been set up in his memory:https://www.justgiving.com/Terry-Pratchett

1. Posterior cortical atrophy (PCA) is a progressive degenerative condition involving the loss and dysfunction of brain cells, particularly at the back (posterior) of the brain. alzheimers.org.uk

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I would ask you all again, to be patient. We realise that a lot of people are likely to be frustrated that the site is currently working so slowly. It speaks volumes about how much Terry was loved and respected, that so many people are trying to come together here, on his official website, to share their grief and sympathy.

Jan 13, 2012
South florida, US
www.youtube.com
Yeah. Been trying to get in here for the last half hour to an hour when i heard the news. I can only imagine.

I honestly don't know what to say. We knew this was coming, but it still hurts. My condolences to his family and friends.

“No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away”

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
Since I discovered his books almost 15 years ago I found a treasure trove of humour mixed with immeasurable intelligence Rest In Peace Sir Terry Prachett

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
I just heard. I'm heartbroken.
One of the greatest authors of all time and his work will stand the test of time.

fids

Lance-Corporal
Apr 29, 2011
Hereford
at a time like this I think you can only do one thing, pull your kilt over your head and scream wailey wailey wailey

The world is poorer place today by his passing but will always richer for his books.

RIP Sir Terry.

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
Can't even begin to say how sad I am. I cried, and I'm not the kind of person to do that about someone or something I'm a "fan" if, but this is different. It was always going to be too soon, wasn't it? :cry:

Words are not sufficient. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thankfully for us, Sir Terry has the immortality of his books and writing that we all can revisit. I was privileged to meet him and to hear him speak in person, and the Discworld family he engendered helped me through some of the most trying times in my life. My most cherished friends now are my Discworld friends.

Rest in peace, released from the Embuggerance.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Desperately sad day. My thoughts and condolences go out to his friends and family at this time. RIP :(

For myself, I will always carry the memory of sitting with a few others in a Convention Klatch and sipping coffee while he chatted with us as if we were old friends, although we had all just met.

RIP Terry. My condolences to his family & friends.

I'm just soo sad and my kids are too. But thank you TP for everything.

I don't have any Scumble.....so tonight I will raise a large glass of blackberry vodka to the guy who made me laugh.....and through his books taught me a different way to view the world.

"Fantasy is an exercise bicycle for the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can"

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Very sad news indeed he will be missed by us all, a fantastic author and a great person to have a drink with at the con bars, very generous with his time when in his company. :cry:
This piece of artwork by Paul kidby says a lot.

Adamj

Nov 6, 2014
I only discovered the discworld a few years ago and I'm currently devouring everything I can find by Sir Terry. I actually finished A Slip of the Keyboard two days ago and as such his illness has been on my mind the past few days. The world feels like it is now missing a significant chunk of wit, humour and intelligence. I was almost in tears walking back to the car this evening and I'm not the type of person to get emotional. I'm currently staring at my Sir Terry bookshelf thinking of how much more his books have become to me.

So long Sir Terry and thanks for joy you have given me...

Nov 21, 2010
So sad :( My thoughts are with his family and friends.

RIP

"Psst," it said. "Not very," said Rincewind [...] 'but I'm working on it." As am I since hearing the news ;)

Ogg

Lance-Corporal
Jan 23, 2009
Cornwall, UK
I found out when I returned home from work. Upon my sudden exhale my son jokingly asked me who died, sigh.
I began reading STP twenty years ago when my then best friend passed away and I doubt ill ever stop. The man changed my life, literally.
I feel honoured to have met him the once at a book signing (WFMen with my then young son). I didn't expect so many tears though :(

User Menu

Newsletter