Science of Discworld in a trilogy binding

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Would you want to have all three Science of Discworld books in a single hardcover binding ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 23, 2010
I tend to have a preference for getting the Discworld novels in a trilogy hardcover binding whenever possible, and since there are three "Science of Discworld" novels, it would seem a likely candidate for a trilogy binding.

Thoughts ?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site! :laugh:

I'm really not that fussed about omnibus editions. If you are a serious collector then it means you have to get yet another book - but in this case it's one of three you already have. And then what happens if, down the line, another book in the series is written?

No, I think I'd prefer individual books. ;)

Jul 23, 2010
I suppose it's the same reason why people by the other omnibus bindings (there's more than 3 novels in the Witches/City Watch series), or why people buy DVD box sets in their entirety rather than buying individual volumes/episodes.

For the sense of completeness :)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I'm strictly a fan and on principle (and meanness) not a collector of hardbacks unless that's all that's going to be published, so no I wouldn't want a hardback set, especially as I have all 3 already in paperback. :laugh:

If it's a boxed paperback set and I didn't already have them, then yes I would 'splurge' (this is how I got the 1st 4 HPs which I hadn't read at all until The Chamber of Secrets movie came out :rolleyes: )

And welcome to forum from me as well SignpostMarv ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I agree with the above, I would never buy a trilogy box set as I just think it's a way of getting more money out of the fans. A real fan is just in it for the content of the books, surely? And will therefore have all the books before the box set comes out (the only reason I have hardbacks instead of paperbacks is that I just can't wait for the latter to come out).

DVD box sets are different as the people who get these don't already have each individual episode, and it's a lot cheaper to get them this way.

And welcome to the site :)

I like collections if it saves space, like I have the box set of El Mariachi, Desperdo and Once Upon a Time in Mexico - as the DVD box is a) more attractive and b) slimmer than having the individually, less space on DVD shelf = more space for others, doesn't really work as well for books, though. Unless the writing is smaller so less pages! :laugh:

+ big books are a bugger to carry around as I take mine to work with me to read (I cycle) so that could lead to heaviness and falling over!

I am reading Science of Discworld at the moment and don't have the other 2 yet, but I'd still get them individually if there was an option.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
The only time I buy omnibus editions is if the author is unlikely to release another book in the series. I'm currently replacing my old battered and/or lost Michael Moorcock's 'Eternal Champion' books in this fashion. :laugh:

Oh, and welcome from me too! :laugh:

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
I've read the Discworld series in Dutch first after that I started with English. I now have a mix of Dutch and English Discworld books. :p
I bought the omnibus editions secondhand because they were cheaper than buying the single books ;)

Jul 23, 2010
Thank you for the friendly welcome :)

I suppose omnibus vs. individual bindings is a matter of reading habits as well. I don't travel much, so the increased volume doesn't affect me.

As for paperback vs. hardback, I prefer hardback for the extra durability. That and they stand up by themselves on the shelf :p

User Menu

Newsletter