SG1 or Star Trek franchise

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

james.a.vivian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 26, 2010
Sydney
I've managed to buy all SG1, Atlantis, SGU as well as Enterprise, Deep space 9 and Voyager I would of kept buying a series a week but I was finally able to get cable in my building. I love them both to my missus' dismay I can watch them over and over again. My favorite Strek capt is Archer, probably because I was a huge Quantum Leap fan. 8)

Jul 25, 2008
Newport
SG1 for me ,just got the complete series (currently watching season 3) as well as all of Atlantis and season 1 of Universe
Have seen all of Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise but kept seeing recycled story lines. Not bad though.
I'm lucky in that my missus loves them (not been able to watch normal tv for the past 4 days due to Stargate)

Nov 22, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
SGn vs Trek

Good Lord - this is wierd. I'm way ahead of all og you for a change. SG-Alantis is done and SG-U is on it's third season. In fact - it's so pase here that they are doing a SGU marathon for new years and showing all of season 2 in sequence.

I have to say that I prefer the Star Gate over the Star Trek. Don't get me wrong - I'm a Treker (note - not a Trekie) from the very first episode - I can remember watching it and my Dad saying what drivel it was. (I was 5 or 6 at the time) But the SG milieu is much better. The movies were barely watchable, the first was just fair, the others went downhill, but Dean Anderson did something magical with them. Like the BBC he assumed the watchers were not idiots who would have trouble with the plot of a Bay Watch episode and he managed to work to an overall story line that required you to get involved with the whole thing. And - he left when the getting was good - leave 'em smiling.

Have you seen the latest from that 'studio' - "Sanctuary"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_(TV_series)
The star is Amada Tapping - Major Samatha Carter from the SG world.

james.a.vivian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 26, 2010
Sydney
I'm still holding out in hope that there will be a movie for Stargate Atlantis to explain what will happen now Atlantis is on Earth. SGU is on cable here we're half way through season 2 (Aussie). Sanctuary is great but it suffer from American mid season Christmas break.

Jul 25, 2008
Newport
From what I've read, there will be no more SGU after season 3. Currently awaiting a 3rd SG1 movie but it may not happen either, same with an Atlantis movie.

Missed SGU first time around so bought season 1 on DVD. Just missed season 2 re-runs and season 3 started here about a month ago.

Willem

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2010
Weert, The Netherlands
I tried to get into SG-1 but failed. It wasn't bad, just a bit... boring. No real surprises or original themes in the storylines. Comes from watching too much SF I guess.

Star Trek suffers from this too, but I love it still. Deep Space Nine and TNG were my favourites, although I recently rewatched all of Voyager and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. I did enjoy Enterprise, especially the season that they spent in that region of space where the laws of physics were different.

james.a.vivian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 26, 2010
Sydney
Farscape is the reason I got in to SG1 season 9 was when criton became mitchel. Claudia black is a stunner. Farscape was another canceled show that devastated me, a movie just doesn't make up for the loss of such great characters. :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I love love love Star Trek. It's ace. Especially the first series. And the last film was ace as well.

It's all ace.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Dotsie said:
I love love love Star Trek. It's ace. Especially the first series. And the last film was ace as well.

It's all ace.

Me too............... I loved all the series. And Captain Picard (I loved that he was named after a french astronomer)

Did you all know that the space shuttles (IRL) were named Enterprise because a whole load of Star Trek Fans lobbied to have it named that?

And I loved Quantum Leap
(remember Buddy Holly singing to his pig?... "Piggy Soi Piggy Soi..."

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The story about the first shuttle is true, but that one never actually went into space. I think the Trek fans (on reflection) would have preferred if it had gone into space. :laugh:

Temple_maiden

Lance-Corporal
Dec 31, 2010
I am a HUGE Trekkie and have never seen the Stargate series so the answer there is obvious.

However, although I LOVED QL, Enterprise left me cold - I only watched the first few episodes - the whole female Vulcan eye candy thing put me off.

I loved Captain Picard though - I have huge respect for Sir Patrick - equal only to my huge respect for Sir Pterry.

User Menu

Newsletter