Shannara?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
I just found what looked like most of the Shannara series in Kinokunia bookshop. I wasnt sure what to get; at first i thought that Genesis was the first book. Then i realized that it too was a section and had many books in it. In the end, i got the prequel, First King of Shannara.

Did i choose right? What order should I get them in?
Oh, and the cover artist is really good! I thought it was a clip from a movie till i read the back. ;)

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
Or head here. 8)

Terry's Suggested Reading Order

The Original Shannara Trilogy
The Sword of Shannara
The Elfstones of Shannara
The Wishsong of Shannara

A Shannara Short Story
Indomitable – An epilogue to The Wishsong of Shannara

A Shannara Graphic Novel
Dark Wraith of Shannara

The Heritage of Shannara
The Scions of Shannara
The Druid of Shannara
The Elf Queen of Shannara
The Talismans of Shannara

A Shannara Prequel
First King of Shannara

The Word/Void Trilogy
Running with the Demon
A Knight of the Word
Angel Fire East

The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara
Ilse Witch
Antrax
Morgawr

High Druid of Shannara
Jarka Ruus
Tanequil
Straken

Genesis of Shannara Trilogy
Armageddon's Children
The Elves of Cintra
The Gypsy Morph

Kittycat1977

Lance-Corporal
Apr 6, 2010
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
After reading about Terry's books on this forum I was inspired to try them. Unfortunately I didn't do my research first and ended up reading the last three books in the series (Armegeddon's Children, The Elves of Cintra half way through the Gypsy Morph).

I have throughly enjoyed them to the point where I have been up while 1.00 am reading them when I have to work the following day.

Think I will use Fizz's list and start from the beginning. :p

I love it when I find a great author who has already written loads of books so I don't have to wait for my fix.

I thought the Genesis of Shannara series was the first :eek:

Just started reading First King 2 days ago; love it!
My friends seem to have taken a dislike to it for very complicated reasons.

Basically: I lent one friend Wintersmith and he read half of it and hates it because its in 'Scottish' and he doesnt understand a word though his english is realy good.
I then lent him Feet of Clay and he read 3 pages of that and had to return it cos he had it so long and his mom was getting mad. For some reason this made him totally hate Terry Pratchett :rolleyes: :devil:
Then when i brought Terry Brooks to school he decided he hates all authors called Terry :x :rolleyes:
And since i said Rick Riordan isnt actually that great a writer, everyone who is a Percy fan decided Terry's are all reproabates.
Mad or what? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kittycat1977

Lance-Corporal
Apr 6, 2010
Unfortunatley Ponder some people are like that. They have a comfort zone and won't step outside of it. Too bad they don't know what they are missing out on.

Be glad that you are open to new experiences, who knows what you will discover tomorrow :laugh:

(I am feeling very profound today, normal service will resume tomorrow)

Kittycat1977 said:
Too bad they don't know what they are missing out on.
Hmmm. At least i bothered reading all of the Percy Jackson books before i said anything. Instead of buying that its great from everyone else. Good job i didnt buy it. ;) And same with twilight; everyone said it was rubbish and turned out its actually quite good, just too long.

Kittycat1977 said:
(I am feeling very profound today, normal service will resume tomorrow)
:laugh: :laugh:

i think my fave character in Shannara is Tay Tryfenwyd. Dunno why; maybe im just rascist. I prefer my elves normal beings; not stuck up kings and queens even when they were raised in a gutter. A glittery gutter. :p ;)

Kittycat1977

Lance-Corporal
Apr 6, 2010
That character isn't in the ones I have just read but as I say they are the last in the series so I am assuming that several years have passed in the books.

I agree I prefer the fact that some of the elf characters are more normal. In books written by some other authors they are always potrayed as noble and a bit aloof whereas TB seems to write them with faults and dare I say it human flaws which adds to the realism.

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
And just so people understand, the Word/Void was originally a separate trilogy that Terry many, many, many, years ago planned on bridging with his Shannara series.

Up until a number of years ago there was no concrete proof that both of these series existed in the same world. He's bridging that universe with his long standing Shannara.

The Genesis of Shannara is that connecting point between the Word/Void and Shannara.

Cheers.

Kittycat1977 said:
That character isn't in the ones I have just read but as I say they are the last in the series so I am assuming that several years have passed in the books.

I agree I prefer the fact that some of the elf characters are more normal. In books written by some other authors they are always potrayed as noble and a bit aloof whereas TB seems to write them with faults and dare I say it human flaws which adds to the realism.
Yes, and it helps that he talks about them as men and women rather than elves and...what?
I just got to the assassination of the royal famille :eek: I find bremen's nsme quite funny cos it reminds of the singers of Bremen story thingy with the singing animals :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter