signed discworld books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ohnhai

Lance-Constable
Sep 17, 2009
Tonyblack said:
Ohnhai said:
I got my UK Launch HB Masquerade signed to me with an ook! and then the rubber stamp
:laugh: That's great! Like I said earlier in this thread, if you got a personalised copy then treasure it, especially if you met Terry at the time. These days he's not able to personalise them, although he's still managing signatures. :(
Not only did I meet him, I fed him.

The cue was long and streched well out side the small book shop.. I got hungry and went for some chips... (damn good chips too.) walking back to my friends in the line I notice this small white bearded fella dressed all in black with a hat with an excessive amount of brim, and a scarf alking down the line towards me.

"afternoon Terry" I said " fancy a chip?"
"dont mind if I do!" he said, then thanking me he entered into the shop to make a start on reducing the line..

My ex-friend Simon who was in front of me took Good omens to sign and ended up with an isncription that read "Burn this book!"

Though if I'm honest the inscription I hold mot dear is the one in my HB copy of Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle. We had met up in Batista's coffee shop prior to the monthly Si-fi gathering. with the slight ashamed guilt of taking advantage of a friend I had dragged my copy with me to get her to sign it. She asked do you really want me to sign it? It's probably worth more if I don't. then upon asking me what I wanted her to write I said I'd leave that to her...

If you know Mary at all then you will know she has a wicked scene of humour.... :)

I now have a book signed to me that reads "To Stephen, in memory of all those wonderful nights!, Muwa ha ha ha ha!. Mary"

As I said, an OOK! is good but how can you top Mary's effort ?

Watchman44

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Tiverton Devon
I managed to get "The Discworld Companion" signed by Terry and Stephen at the Jamboree. Terry wrote "To Chris, its all true" and Stephen wrote underneath " and meticulously researched".

Aug 16, 2009
bit.ly
At the 2008 DWCon in Birmingham we were at the book signing, Terry had just announced that he would only be doing signatures. Then the Con staff, Bruce, Pete and I advanced with my artwork to present to him.
Terry then graciously signed my book too, and honoured me with the inscription you can see here.

Its one of my MOST valued possessions.

Aug 16, 2009
bit.ly
Tonyblack said:
:laugh: I see he spelled Keith 'Kieth' - I always do that. ;)
So many people do that. I dont know if the K confuses them, when they try the 'i before e' thingy. I'm thinking of changing it to K-i-e just to simplify matters!

(and its nice to have a typo - from 'the man' himself) ;)

Well I ordered the signed HB copy of Unseen Academicals but :cry: sadly won't be personalised.

I got JK Rowlings signature twice though - one of them was a letter saying she liked my poem...

BUT my most treasured signature ... (So treasured I can't find the damn thing now ... :laugh:) Is one of Sylvestor McCoy ... The Seventh Doctor (and to me the best as I grew up with him I arrived too late on the scene for anyone else!)

And I got a personalised signed copy of an Andrew Taylor book called The American Boy but this is the American Proof Copy called An Unforgivable Sin GIVEN TO ME FREE BY THE AUTHOR HIMSELF!
(Yes there is a Pratchett connection here ... Charles Dance appeared in a Televised Dramatisation of one of his books and it is rumoured that he is playing Vetinari in Going Postal {according to ImDb anyway} And I love Charles Dance!)

So that is my sad list of autographs ...

BTW poohbcarrot - My mum Always Knits Avidly!

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
You knit jumpers very slowly, Dug. Otherwise you start to knit socks, fail to turn a corner and end up with a very long scarf!

I must confess to thinking that your smilie looks a bit pervy ... It's a good job that the sheep isn't wearing wellies ... :oops:

martynjh

Oct 24, 2009
sutton coldfield uk
signed books

I have a hardback copy of the last hero and would like to have it signed by Mr Pratchett and Paul Kidby. Any ideas on how i can get this done? I intend to leave all of my TP collection to my daughter on the off chance that one day she might realise how good he is.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Re: signed books

martynjh said:
I have a hardback copy of the last hero and would like to have it signed by Mr Pratchett and Paul Kidby. Any ideas on how i can get this done? I intend to leave all of my TP collection to my daughter on the off chance that one day she might realise how good he is.
Welcome to the site martynjh! :laugh:

I can only suggest either going to an event or a signing. Terry's illness means that he's doing less signings and not doing personal dedications, so, sadly it may be a case that getting books signed will be increasingly more difficult.

I don't know about Paul Kidby - I'm not sure if he goes to events - I've never seen him at one. o_O

User Menu

Newsletter