Sky Channel Switcharound.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Grumpy

Lance-Constable
Feb 18, 2011
Who else thinks it was very annoying when Sky changed the channel numbers around at some point last week?

I was just getting used to all the numbers and getting used to being able to remember them, then they went and changed them all. It's very annoying and put me in a grumpy mood, lol. :p

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
Welcome to the site Grumpy. I'm not that bothered to tell the truth. Given that I don't watch that much television it doesn't really worry me. I have sky mainly for the wife and kids. To be honest, I've not heard any complains from my wife about the channels moving around so either a) she hasn't noticed or b) she doesn't care.

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
Have'nt got sky, and to be honest, don't want it. Moist of thier shows are repeats and there is a lot of US stuff that frankly doesn't grab my attention!

I'm begining to wonder why I have a TV! Might not bother next year and watch all my DVDs on my Computer instead!

I can watch the Spring Summer Autumn and Winter watches on iplayer! No big loss there.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
meerkat said:
Have'nt got sky, and to be honest, don't want it. Moist of thier shows are repeats and there is a lot of US stuff that frankly doesn't grab my attention!

I'm begining to wonder why I have a TV! Might not bother next year and watch all my DVDs on my Computer instead!

I can watch the Spring Summer Autumn and Winter watches on iplayer! No big loss there.
That's the way I see it. Of course you have to go through the onslaught of annoying letters from the licence people who don't believe that anyone could possibly NOT have a TV set. :rolleyes:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Can't believe you have to have a licence over there.... Here under our freedom of information act in the constitution, the gov must ensure we all have access to a tv and radio and computer should we chose. I have cable TV but thats because the reception here is crap. Its all repeats.... but I love the news 24/7 as I am always busy during the main viewing times.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
deldaisy said:
Can't believe you have to have a licence over there.... Here under our freedom of information act in the constitution, the gov must ensure we all have access to a tv and radio and computer should we chose. I have cable TV but thats because the reception here is crap. Its all repeats.... but I love the news 24/7 as I am always busy during the main viewing times.
The licence is supposedly to fund the BBC (including radio, news service, etc.) Without it, they would have to rely on advertising like the independent channels. In exchange they are also meant, by charter, to provide quality programming such as David Attenborough's documentaries (for example) which, although not everyone's cup of tea, would not be made otherwise (no profit in it compared to the time and expense to make). It also means that many of the Arts and other minority programs would probably not be made. I know most people still complain about having to pay the licence fee, but without it tv over here would be a heck of a lot worse and the only other option for half decent programming would mean contributing to Rupert Murdoch's coffers. ;)

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Our "BBC" is the ABC. We have that and SBS. Both are funded by the government and they present great programs.... everything from the best news, etc and alot of comedy.

SBS is a one off in the world. Its a multicultural channel. It shows all world news and foreign movies, amazing doco's from every country. They make the majority of their money by subtitling almost every foreign movie world wide.... oh yeah :laugh: and they own the rights to show all football (soccer). English league and the World Cup. Way back when noone wanted the rights to it. :laugh: It is THE most amazing station.

Grumpy

Lance-Constable
Feb 18, 2011
Can't believe you don't have a TV.

Did you know, if you can actually prove you're not able to watch any BBC channels (block the BBC signal), but can watch others, you're not required by law to pay for a TV license. :p

Jul 25, 2008
Newport
The change around has annoyed me too seeing as I could scroll across to find the the HD channels anyway but on the otherhand I Skyplus the stuff I like so I can watch them later and fast-forward through the adverts so I don't actually need to find the channels.

Apr 29, 2009
London
chris.ph said:
sorry grumpy, that used to be the case but the beeb got the law changed :cry: get ride of your tv and watch everything on the iplayer like somebody on here does :laugh:
Only problem with that is, they'll still hound you.

We got a snotty letter at work last week from TV licencing, saying that we'd not replied to their previous letters (we'd never received any), and saying that they were now going to investigate us.

We've never had a TV in the office, so they're more than welcome to come round, but no doubt they'll use the computers as an excuse, as (apparently) you can watch televsion live on a computer, and therefore must have a licence.

How you do that, I haven't the foggiest.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
What they do is they have a database of all addresses in the UK. They match that up with a database of all addresses known to have a licence. Those that are left, they figure, must be watching TV illegally.

They assume that you are guilty until you can prove you are innocent. That would be like the police assuming everyone driving a car has stolen it until they produce their paperwork.

Even if you reply to them and say that you don't have a TV set and therefore do not need a licence, they won't believe you. They will still send someone around who will try to enter your property and verify for themselves that you are telling the truth.

As far as the law is concerned, they have no legal right to enter your home unless they obtain a search warrant and they can only do that if they can convince a magistrate that they have reason to believe you are watching TV illegally.

You don't legally even have to give them your name. I know all this because I've been driving them crazy for six years by refusing them entry and refusing to give my name. I still get the threatening letters, but I ignore them. If I was to reply I'd have to pay for a stamp and they'd STILL require me to let one of them into my flat to prove I didn't have a TV. :rolleyes:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I theory you need a licence to watch iPlayer live. If you are watching programmes after they were aired then you don't - in theory. Of course it's difficult for them to prove it in the first place. Even if you let them into your premises, they aren't going to be able to tell what you watched and when without checking your Internet files and, unless they have a search warrant, you can refuse to let them touch your computer.

It's not actually a crime to own a TV set without a licence and if you let them in and they saw a TV set, you'd only be breaking the law if you switched the set on when they asked you to.

The mistake people make is in thinking that because these people seem official, you have to do what they tell you. You don't. :p

Years ago - when I worked for the Post Office, the TV licence people used to contract postal workers to do their investigations. I knew a few people who worked for them and what they could or could not do.

User Menu

Newsletter