SPOILERS Small Gods Discussion *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
poohcarrot said:
poohcarrot said:
...and of course not forgetting Lu-Tze's other major intervention in the story that saves countless lives! The bit that stops the 100 years of bloody war before it starts.:p
As everyone is ignoring me. :rolleyes:

The reason there is no 100 year civil war is because the moving turtle/tank breaks down. It breaks down because the starting lever snaps. It snaps because after being made, it was supposed to be cooled slowly, but Lu-Tze pours cold water on it, thus making the metal brittle.

But I'm sure you all knew that (even though nobody mentioned it). 8)

I'll fade back into the background again. :laugh:
Sulkypants - we got the bit about Lu-Tse. :laugh: What you're talking about there is part of why they avoided the 100 years war, but it's not the reason it's a CATALYST. Will come back to that part of the book with the tank shortly as you want to talk about it *pats head* :twisted:

Sharlene - you were asking how Brutha became so wise specifically when he absorbed the Library. That's just knowledge - :laugh: ;)
Wisdom is quite another thing. He was already becoming wise before that, from the moment he began to hear Om because he was having to challenge his own belief in the Great God from then on. By the time he'd got to Ephebe he'd had several hard, sharp knocks to his dogma-defined image of Om as Om himself was pouring scorn on all the stupid narrow 'mysteries' of his cult and so pushing Brutha into questioning his beliefs - from the start they're working on a new rendering of Omnism making it more rational, less belligerent and unquestioning and far more humane and forgiving. What Brutha is doing right from the start of the book, being provoked and inadvertently inspired by Om, is redefining his belief. He questions everything right down the line but he never stops believing even when he downright disagrees with Om because they both need each other to make sense of their world. They negotiate and develop a new understanding and in effect learn wisdom together by this process - the massive download of knowledge in Ephebe is merely complementary to that struggle for a mutual creed, so that Brutha can then set Omnia onto a more practical and rational understanding of the rest of the Disc and how to live in it. He is the first true Prophet not only because he's such a staunch and compassionate believer, but because he and Om are invested in each other and together overthrow the old ways and together make the new 'rules' and philosophy.

In the desert, with Vorbis comatose and Om terrified of one of his rival small gods stealing Brutha away from him, the god's finally driven to realisation of just how important Brutha is to him and so Om at last 'get's it'. Omnipotence and absolute faith and loyalty don't work - there has to be understanding and acceptance of the justness of belief and how the underlying philosophy works. We all see the links with the Inquisition and with Roman Catholicism in particular and how a religion goes off the rails and into 'jobsworth' territory when absolutism takes hold and the stupid, unscrupulous and psychopathic turn faith onto it's head and makes a mockery of the original ground on which belief is formed.

The desert is a metaphor familiar to the main modern monotheist behemoths of faith - one god, one way, one load of essentially common sense on how to live your life kindly and not annoy your neighbours. We say the words but we don't honour them and Thou Shalt Not Kill becomes Except When It Suits The People In Power. With Brutha and Om the new deal is forged in the desert. They have to work together and depend on each other absolutely. Vorbis is their instrument in a way, even though he has no part in their ordeal, his hijacking their feat in crossing the desert is necessary to the faith's reception and re-establishment on a surer footing which is not Brutha's spectacular rescue from the turtle but in his averting the war.

OK - the steam boat/tank. :laugh: It's just a thing - a very useful and practical thing and as such is used by people for their own ends. Urn is rather like Leonard of Quirm - he has no conception of his inventions use for military purposes, that comes from Simony. Lu-tse sabotages it yes, and that's why it's a catalyst - the actual EVENT that he needs to manipulate has to be resolved by people and people with a certain mindset. Brutha is the one who understands that war is not the answer. If it had been Vorbis on the beach alone then they would have had 100 years of war. If Simony had been on the beach alone then they would still have had 100 years of war. If Urn and his uncle had been on the beach alone then they would still have had 100 years of war. It had to be Brutha because he had the right sort of belief. Vorbis and Simony are extremist - terrorists if you like even though our sympathies are far more with Simony and even though neither of them have a belief in Om - they only see things in black and white and both only think of fighting for their own belief (or to impose it forcibly in Vorbis' case) or anti-belief if you like.

Extreme atheism is as fundamentally wrong as religious terrorism - it scorns and belittles belief and counts believers as fools who need to be taught they're wrong. Didactylos is seen by Simony as a true Prophet of Science in effect. Didactylos sees himself as a blind man who knows people and how the world works. He has nothing to hang his faith on except the truth and so his dispassion cannot inspire the Turtle followers to mobilise and take action - anti-belief needs passion too and it is Simony who provides that not the Ephebians. No belief (with or without a god) is wrong unless it harms someone. It's just a philosophy and one of many ways to live your life quietly and respectfully. In this book that is the true message. It's not anti-belief - we all believe in something. It's not even anti-religion. The deal Om and Brutha sort out in the desert is a true way where the god is gentle and respectful to his believers in return for their faith and being human we like to belong to a herd or flock. The Quisition is distorted tarnished and it tramples faith into the dust and replaces it with terror. Believe it or else in other words.

Together Om and Brutha bring the faith back on track and effectively start over, working together to be wise in their faith. The Library scrolls will help with that, but they essentially have nothing to do with faith and how Omnia will fare in it's reinvention, because it's just facts and Science (and of course they're important) because the truth is subjective and belief is ultimately reassuring and what supports you through strife. When your world is falling all around you it doesn't really matter whether it's a disc or a globe doesn't it? ;) Your belief can sustain you through the most apalling times and it doesn't matter what name or face you give it.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Jan Van Quirm said:
poohcarrot said:
The reason there is no 100 year civil war is because the moving turtle/tank breaks down. It breaks down because the starting lever snaps. It snaps because after being made, it was supposed to be cooled slowly, but Lu-Tze pours cold water on it, thus making the metal brittle.
Sulkypants - we got the bit about Lu-Tse. :laugh: What you're talking about there is part of why they avoided the 100 years war, but it's not the reason it's a CATALYST. Will come back to that part of the book with the tank shortly as you want to talk about it *pats head* :twisted:
Jan, you're talking bollux. If the tank thing had worked, Brutha would have died a matyr as Simony wanted. There would have then been a 100 year civil war.
And "we" all don't know this as it was never mentioned once on the CA site, and it's just as important as Lu-Tze putting the compost heap there (which was mentioned).

And as for why did Lu-Tze give Brutha a bonsai mountain? It's blindingly obvious to me.

"If the mountain will not come to Mahomet, Mahomet must go to the mountain."

Prov. If things do not change the way you want them to, you must adjust to the way they are.

But the mountain did come to Brutha. So he could adjust things to the way he wanted.

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
poohcarrot said:
poohcarrot said:
...and of course not forgetting Lu-Tze's other major intervention in the story that saves countless lives! The bit that stops the 100 years of bloody war before it starts.:p

Sorry Pooh, I wasn't quite sure what you were referring to by the 100 years of bloody war--and you're right to remind me of that significant action of Lu Tze. And thanks to the breakdown + Om's attack on the other gods, they hide under the metal machine and end up working together to rescue the survivors. So Lu Tze helps Om & Brutha still another time and way. Good point, old boy! 8)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
swreader said:
poohcarrot said:
poohcarrot said:

Sorry Pooh, I wasn't quite sure what you were referring to by the 100 years of bloody war--and you're right to remind me of that significant action of Lu Tze. And thanks to the breakdown + Om's attack on the other gods, they hide under the metal machine and end up working together to rescue the survivors. So Lu Tze helps Om & Brutha still another time and way. Good point, old boy! 8)
Don't encourage him :eek:

Hit him with a newspaper

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
They have to work together and depend on each other absolutely. Vorbis is their instrument in a way, even though he has no part in their ordeal, his hijacking their feat in crossing the desert is necessary to the faith's reception and re-establishment on a surer footing which is not Brutha's spectacular rescue from the turtle but in his averting the war.
You make some good points, Jan. This is just a niggling (but nonetheless important) minor revision of your analysis at the quoted section.

Brutha tried to avert the war, BUT HE FAILED and goes stomping off the apparent field of battle which is precipitated by the appearance of Urn's now functioning "tank". The war is stopped, rather, by Om's intervening and forcing the other gods to agree to his understanding of the proper relationship between man and his god(s). It is the storm (caused by Om's actions) that puts the various parties together in a shelter and makes them see the wisdom of working together rather than fighting when the storm ends.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
No worries Pip - pooh likes spherical shaped things because they give him a chance to rant on ironic symbolism which is his own religion in a way - that and the bleeding obvious.;)

Lu-tse steers and guides without direct intervention as such - that's his job, which does not always take account of what's supposed to happen. Simony and civil war - mere semantics. :laugh: War is war and arguably war on your own doorstep, in the hall and up in the bedrooms is the worst sort to have to deal with. Lu-Tse takes action when needed so he's a vital ingredient and really undercover ops, so he can't take too overt a path and get visibly involved in this kind of mission, which is one among many as we're told in that Omnia is not his only destination.

Another piece of verbal symbolism since we're into minutiae now :p Simony the denier of Om - Simon Peter chief disciple of Jesus and 1st Pope - who also 'betrayed' his god in a moment of fear and madness, but was ultimately the rock of belief in which the Turtle Moves and on which New Practical Omnism is based. I agree the bonsai mountains are a nice touch so Islam gets a look in as well as the Old and New Testaments... which all are or have been schisms anyway :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
swreader said:
They have to work together and depend on each other absolutely. Vorbis is their instrument in a way, even though he has no part in their ordeal, his hijacking their feat in crossing the desert is necessary to the faith's reception and re-establishment on a surer footing which is not Brutha's spectacular rescue from the turtle but in his averting the war.
You make some good points, Jan. This is just a niggling (but nonetheless important) minor revision of your analysis at the quoted section.

Brutha tried to avert the war, BUT HE FAILED and goes stomping off the apparent field of battle which is precipitated by the appearance of Urn's now functioning "tank". The war is stopped, rather, by Om's intervening and forcing the other gods to agree to his understanding of the proper relationship between man and his god(s). It is the storm (caused by Om's actions) that puts the various parties together in a shelter and makes them see the wisdom of working together rather than fighting when the storm ends.
It's all things that 'have' to happen though isn't it? Vorbis knocking Brutha out and 'saving' him from dying in the desert set up the process for Brutha's potential martyrdom, which sparked the necessary lightning bolt of belief to power Om back into 'smiting' mode :laugh: If that hadn't happened then he wouldn't have been able to go and kickass on Cori Celesti, so it's no one thing, but the chain reaction which also has an elastic interchangeable combination, any one of which removed could have had a different cause and effect. What if Om hadn't managed to entice the eagle to pick him up, or couldn't have held on for long enough to get deposited on Vorbis?

Come to that, why didn't Lu-tse get sent to Omnia to prevent the Quisition being set up in the first place. The History monks intervene at key points and obviously the Quisition wasn't important enough to prevent, but having the recently revived Om fall on a nice soft dung-heap and not on hard rock was something that perhaps had to happen for all the rest to follow on from, so they got the 100 years of 'peace' and re-assessment with Brutha at the helm instead of war... And THEN 100 years later he dies, having done the work which would have had to be done anyway when 'the war that never was' had ended - they bought 100 years of re-education by Vorbis getting killed and not Brutha... ;)

History's not got a start or a finish essentially - it's a rolling programme, so Simony, Urn, Didactylos and Brutha all had to be on that beach and provide enough of a distraction for long enough for Om to get the other gods onside and beating the other nations into submission so they'd see the sense of not fighting. Yet more irony as godly violence prevents human violence for a change... :twisted:

Once Brutha's gone then they start squabbling about Ossory and Abbys again, so situation normal, but the key thing is that they can argue and debate about it and produce people like Mightily Oats who can still deliver the core faith with understanding that actually does help people, even if some of it is still actually bollocks 8)

Isn't Terry clever! ;)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
All this discussion makes me totally wanted to read SG again. But I have to hold off until I get the Kirby version Verns is kindly sending me.

Funny, such similar discussion didn't make me want to reread "Pyramids..."

:laugh:

J-I-B

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
raisindot said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
Nothing wrong with the occasional dose of prejudice Jeff ;)
Ahhh. 'Literary criticism' is when you don't like a certain book someone else likes.

'Prejudice' is when someone doesn't like a book you like.

Got it.

:laugh:

J-I-B
No, no no no. The distinction is not that. Literary criticism, regardless of whether it is thought out or not, is when you don't like a book that you have read. Prejudice is when you don't like a book that you haven't even so much as looked at the cover.

For example, prejudice would be my state of mind before I read Atlas Shrugged, and thought it to be crap. Literary criticism is what my state of mind was after I read Atlas Shrugged (for a bet) and knew that it was crap.

Or, for a better example, prejudice would be my state of mind before I read Twilight, and thought it to be crap. Literary criticism is what my state of mind was after I read Twilight and realised that it was a classic... a classic example of mediocrity (rather than crappiness).

BTW, back on track before I completely derail this thread, I think that comparing Small Gods and Pyramids, while intriguing, is a little bit of a stretch. Not too much, but really, you cannot really compare Pteppic and Brutha (so much as contrast).

In Pyramids, I think (and yes, I am aware that Jan van Quirm, at least, has pointed this out, or at least I checked after writing this post to try and flame-proof this post) the main theme seems to be tradition versus progression. Whereas Small Gods is more about belief, morality, and the differences between gods and men (which really isn't that big a difference, when you think about what our theologies have involved: look at the Greek Gods in particular. The biggest bunch of misogynists, rapists, and petty murderers I have seen outside the circles of Hell).

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
JVQ or just Jan will do Quatermass :laugh:

It's always struck me as ironic that the basis of philosophy and civilisation was 'born' in a country with such a godsawful and unruly pantheon - perhaps it's because they had such crap gods? :laugh: Also ironic are the Scandinavian myths, which are in some respects positively sensible in comparison with the Greek ones, belonged to such so-called barbaric nations :p

Creation myths are so fascinating though - was it the Golgafrinchams who were waiting for the Big Hankerchief to end the Universe after it being created by the Big Sneeze? :laugh: It certainly explains why some areas of this particular planet aren't much better than nose debris... :p

The main parallel for me between Djelibeybi and Omnia is the desert culture which gives rise to such singular expositions of gods and culture on the Disc and to produce more than their fair share of Prophets with 'vision' of various and dubious quality. With tangible gods religion is really more like choosing which party to go to - or belong to I suppose, but a partay party is so much better than a political party I think. :laugh: Does Offler offer better after-life and sacrifice options than Blind Io? Do you really want to throw in your lot with Fate or throw some bones with the Lady? 8) Look what happened to Jesus in his 'incarnation'? Maybe manifesting isn't such a good trait in a decent, easy-going god? :twisted:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Jan Van Quirm said:
JVQ or just Jan will do Quatermass :laugh:

It's always struck me as ironic that the basis of philosophy and civilisation was 'born' in a country with such a godsawful and unruly pantheon - perhaps it's because they had such crap gods? :laugh: Also ironic are the Scandinavian myths, which are in some respects positively sensible in comparison with the Greek ones, belonged to such so-called barbaric nations :p
Buggered if I know. Or, a more appropriate axiom, it's all Greek to me.

Jan Van Quirm said:
Creation myths are so fascinating though - was it the Golgafrinchams who were waiting for the Big Hankerchief to end the Universe after it being created by the Big Sneeze? :laugh: It certainly explains why some areas of this particular planet aren't much better than nose debris... :p
Or cruel and random chance. Or Finagle's Law: the perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum, aka, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, at the worst possible time. So I've probably destroyed a few hundred universes during my cold. That's life.

Bit of semi-related trivia: the nose sculpture used in the temples of the church of the Arkleseizure in the movie of The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is actually a 3D model of Douglas Adams' nose.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
You now have two weeks to read or reread Jingo for the discussion starting on Monday 3rd January. :laugh:
I've got other books on my plate. :( I'm hoping to read Good Omens and CryoBurn by Lois McMaster Bujold before the year is out.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Quatermass said:
Tonyblack said:
You now have two weeks to read or reread Jingo for the discussion starting on Monday 3rd January. :laugh:
I've got other books on my plate. :( I'm hoping to read Good Omens and CryoBurn by Lois McMaster Bujold before the year is out.
There's no closing date for these discussions. Feel free to join in if and when you reread the book. ;)

User Menu

Newsletter