SPOILERS Snuff: Who was the barman? (SPOILERS)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
LilMaibe said:
You know that 'Re-reading the text makes it perfectly clear' is a pretty mean insult towards the threadopener?
No it isn't, stop trying to cause a fight. Raisindot already admitted he'd been mistaken on the first reading himself, and if tmoh didn't want to be disagreed with he wouldn't have started the thread.

Some people are happy to listen to other people's opinions, it makes for an interesting discussion. You should try it!

tmoh

Lance-Constable
Dec 18, 2011
USA
Hey folks--looks like this thread got way more intense than I intended! :O And I haven't read the book *that* many times...hence why I was asking for other people's assistance. General consensus across this board and the other places I've asked seems to be that 1) the barman was Willikins, but 2) it was vague enough that I don't have to be *too* embarrassed about getting confused. ;) I can live with that!

(And, um...I'm a "she," actually.)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Sorry! :laugh:

Things don't usually get intense on here, only when the subject is Snuff or Unseen Academicals. Then you should find a safe place to watch from a distance! ;)

A

Anonymous

tmoh said:
Hey folks--looks like this thread got way more intense than I intended! :O And I haven't read the book *that* many times...hence why I was asking for other people's assistance. General consensus across this board and the other places I've asked seems to be that 1) the barman was Willikins, but 2) it was vague enough that I don't have to be *too* embarrassed about getting confused. ;) I can live with that!

(And, um...I'm a "she," actually.)
Well, I was under the impression you read it more often than that.
And whoops.

And Dotsie: If I would tell you that 'everyone would get a certain things upon re-reading' if there's something you wouldn't understand, would you not take it as an insult?

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
LilMaibe said:
You know that 'Re-reading the text makes it perfectly clear' is a pretty mean insult towards the threadopener?
Context, context, contex, Meebs. My first post in on this topic was based on my first reading, when I thought the bartender was Stratford. Others' comments to the contrary made me go back and re-read this section. Then it became quite clear that Willikens was the bartender. I'm speaking for myself, not for others who may have made the same mistake I did.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
LilMaibe said:
And Dotsie: If I would tell you that 'everyone would get a certain things upon re-reading' if there's something you wouldn't understand, would you not take it as an insult?
No. I find things in Pratchett all the time when rereading. That's one of the reasons his books are so good for rereading!

There's some things I'll never get, every now and then I come across something IRL and think "Terry read this first, obviously!" Like when I found out that the Royal Society (bunch of learned, dusty old farts) was previously called the Invisible College. Sound familiar? ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Agreed! It is one of the joys of Pratchett to make those discoveries. I have read some of the books many times and still find something new each time. As I've often said - Discworld demands to be reread. I don't think anyone will 'get' everything the first time around.

Toothy

City Watch
Jul 26, 2008
England
That's the trouble with text conversations. It's so easy to misunderstand each other. No tone of voice, no body language and no opportunity to see whether someone gets what you're trying to say (so that you can explain/give context) until it's too late. Then it's difficult to unravel the aggro. Moving onwards and upwards... Have some chocolate (or your favourite decadence) and back to topic...

I've just re-read several DWs and never fail to be stunned by how many things I missed the first umpteen times from the Aladdin's cave that each one is. I'm sure I could read them a hundred times and still find more hidden gems (some maybe not all that hidden - I was probably just on a different wavelength the previous times). :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter