So this SEO copywriter walks into a bar...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jan 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Hi there,
Does anyone recognize this joke from one of Terry Pratchett's books?

"So this SEO copywriter walks into a bar, grill, pub, public house, Irish bar, bartender, drinks, beer, wine, liquor...."

I was told that it was written by Terry Pratchett and can be found in one of his books...or possibly one of the TV productions. Does anyone know which one?

I do some work with new media and when I first read this joke I nearly spit out my coffee as I was laughing so hard. I would love to find the book and the story where Terry wrote this.

Please feel free to ping me back directly at sbroadley@broadleyjames.com
many thanks in advance : )

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Its Marketing meerkat. The better your SEO the higher up Google search you come the more likely people are to click in the site.
Its all about having the site linked to as many possible search words.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Tonyblack said:
deldaisy said:
SEO? Is that anything like a CEO?
Nothing at all. :p

It stands for Search Engine Optimization. There are people who design websites to make them as popular with search engines as possible. So, if I typed 'pratchett' into Google (for example) the top results of the search might be the the ones with the best SEO. ;)
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Oh I know about those!!!! Just never used the SEO thingie abbreviation thingie.

Talking about abbreviations..... don't you find it strange that a three word three syllable is SHORTENED to a NINE syllable abbreviation....

World wide web (THREE)
www (NINE)

o_O:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Pip :p

Tony :rolleyes:

Well I have a daughter who had problems sequencing syllables.... saying nine WAS Mount Everest to a molehill. She can do it now.

The internet was a place of pure freedom for her when she had no speech...... And you would be suprised how often www comes up in conversation (not something you notice if you CAN say it) :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
i just say the web which is two sylables and if i'm giving a URL i leave out the www. as its implied so its all rosy :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter