So...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Sign up

janet

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2009
3,082
0
2,100
North East England
#2
I'm thinking that it is news to me. It's not really accurate to refer to it as an addition to the Discworld canon as a) it does not seem to claim to be thus, and b) it doesn't exist yet. I've no doubt Paul Kidby is producing this with full approval of the Pratchett estate and it will most likely be a very beautiful and desirable volume. If you're hoping someone will say something negative about Paul's motives for producing the work well it won't be me.
 

DiscworldArchive

Lance-Constable
Feb 24, 2015
21
3
1,300
#3
Its a difficult one. We have been due an Updated Art of The Discworld style book from Paul for ages, especially one that contains the cover artwork he's done over the years .. but three versions? that will cost £210 to get all three?? bit too much for my pockets. At least I can get the standard one via Discworld Monthly's Book depository link for £31.32 instead of £35
 

Molokov

Lance-Corporal
Sep 29, 2011
342
5
2,325
Adelaide, South Australia
ausdwcon.org
#4
A few years ago, Rob was talking about doing some sort of Discworld Encyclopaedia illustrated by Paul Kidby, but we've not heard any more about that idea since. Perhaps this is just a collection of a lot of artwork Paul was working on for that, plus some older pieces?

In any case, it'll be nice to have a new art book, but I'm still not sure it's worth the extra money to get the super fancy version.
 

RathDarkblade

Moderator
City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
4,796
146
2,250
42
Melbourne, Victoria
#5
janet said:
If you're hoping someone will say something negative about Paul's motives for producing the work well it won't be me.
Negative? Of course not, Janet! :-( On the contrary, I was hoping that someone would say something as beautiful as you have just done. :) It's been a couple of years since I've seen a new Discworld-related book, so I very much hope that it will be a good one. :)

Molokov said:
A few years ago, Rob was talking about doing some sort of Discworld Encyclopaedia illustrated by Paul Kidby, but we've not heard any more about that idea since. Perhaps this is just a collection of a lot of artwork Paul was working on for that, plus some older pieces?

In any case, it'll be nice to have a new art book, but I'm still not sure it's worth the extra money to get the super fancy version.
Molokov, I remember Rob speaking about a Discworld encyclopedia, but yes - I haven't seen one. Like you and The Discworld Archive, I'm not sure that it's worth 100 Pounds to get the super-limited-edition version. *shrug*
 

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
28,681
122
3,325
Cardiff, Wales
#6
It says: "Formerly PJSM Prints". This is an official retailer of Discworld merchandise. After Terry's embuggerance, PJSM was just about the only place where you could get signed copies. Rob, Terry's PA is also very much connected to the site. So it is very much an official Discworld publication. If you are looking for books, t-shirts, badges etc. then this is the place to go.
 

DiscworldArchive

Lance-Constable
Feb 24, 2015
21
3
1,300
#7
It has nothing to do with Discworld.com (aka Pjsm prints) Terry Pratchett's Discworld Imaginarium is being published by Gollanzc/Orion and is available everywhere, The Press releases come out via Discworld.com and Paulkidby.com because the estate really don't have their own website (even this one is owned by Random house) .. Only the Deluxe Boxed edition is being limited to the two outlets. As for it being an official book , of course it's official. It wouldn't get the publicity coverage otherwise.
 

Molokov

Lance-Corporal
Sep 29, 2011
342
5
2,325
Adelaide, South Australia
ausdwcon.org
#8
We were lucky enough to have a brief chat with Rob Wilkins over the phone during a Klatch (small chat) at the Australian Discworld Convention the other week. Amongst Good Omens news (no, he didn't tell us about the casting, but he did say the announcement would be soon... what he did say is that Neil and he fought for "blah blah" as Crowley (David Tennant, we know now) although Amazon wanted an American actor in the role) he did mention the Imaginarium - it's a combination of art Kidby has done over the years that was never included in anything published so far, plus work he'd been doing for the Encyclopaedia which is still probably a few years off due to other reasons, plus re-done and coloured versions of some of Kidby's other work, plus new art he's been doing for the "His World" exhibit opening at the Salisbury museum next month.

So the Imaginarium is basically a bigger, fancier "Art of Discworld 2", but they didn't want to call it that. Gollancz obviously agreed to publish it so we get some fancy versions available.
 

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
1,103
0
2,600
63
Ireland
#9
It looks beautiful and I want it. All of it. But then, I want everything even remotely Pratchett XD
 

RathDarkblade

Moderator
City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
4,796
146
2,250
42
Melbourne, Victoria
#12
Eek ook! :eek:) I just looked it up at Book Depository, and it seems to be priced at AU $67 or AU $134 (both hardbacks). Any idea what the difference would be between the two? The only difference I can see is that the cover illustration on the cheaper book is not in colour - but, obviously, that doesn't justify paying double the price. What's going on? :-/

I also noticed this version of "The Folklore of Discworld. I have a 1st edition of TFoD; is there any difference here, or is it just a re-printing?

P.S. I just had a cursory glance at BD's "Bestsellers in fantasy" list. It includes Harry Potter and Game of Thrones but nothing by Tolkien. For shame, Book Depository! For shame!! :p
 

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
9,915
12
2,850
57
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
#14
OK, I have all three editions (why is nobody surprised) and in summary the standard edition is definitely worth the money, even at full (£30) price , you can get it from Amazon in the UK for about £22. It's a solid hunk of a book on good quality paper and the illustrations are very well printed. The really expensive version limited to 1250 copies is also in my opinion worth having, you get two separate prints for framing in a very nice leather bound edition with a special cover and the copy signed by Paul Kidby for £107 (list price £100 but it's only available from 2 places discworld.com at £100 plus £7 postage or direct from Paul at £107 with free post) . The intermediate copy limited to 1500 copies at £75 (£66 on Amazon when I checked) is definitely not worth the money. All you get for the extra cost is a slipcase, the cover with a white background rather than pale grey/blue and Paul's signature on a limitation page. Frankly if you want a special edition then go for the leather bound version but if you just want the pictures, and who wouldn't, then buy the standard edition especially at £22
 
Jul 27, 2008
16,465
124
3,075
Stirlingshire, Scotland
#15
RathDarkblade said:
Eek ook! :eek:) I just looked it up at Book Depository, and it seems to be priced at AU $67 or AU $134 (both hardbacks). Any idea what the difference would be between the two? The only difference I can see is that the cover illustration on the cheaper book is not in colour - but, obviously, that doesn't justify paying double the price. What's going on? :-/

I also noticed this version of "The Folklore of Discworld. I have a 1st edition of TFoD; is there any difference here, or is it just a re-printing?

P.S. I just had a cursory glance at BD's "Bestsellers in fantasy" list. It includes Harry Potter and Game of Thrones but nothing by Tolkien. For shame, Book Depository! For shame!! :p
Rath! That's the American edition although I like the cover artwork and that it's an updated version, but the UK edition has also been updated.
If that answers your question for the TFoD.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#16
DiscworldArchive said:
It has nothing to do with Discworld.com (aka Pjsm prints) Terry Pratchett's Discworld Imaginarium is being published by Gollanzc/Orion and is available everywhere, The Press releases come out via Discworld.com and Paulkidby.com because the estate really don't have their own website (even this one is owned by Random house) .. Only the Deluxe Boxed edition is being limited to the two outlets. As for it being an official book , of course it's official. It wouldn't get the publicity coverage otherwise.
Thanks for the detailed answer!
 

Book of the Month

Moving Pictures

"Pratchett’s wackiness collaborates with Gaiman’s morbid humour; the result is a humanist delight to be savoured and read again and again."

User Menu

Newsletter