Some thoughts on books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Woofb

Constable
Oct 24, 2021
Questions: 1 all right, when does the Librarian attain his present comfortable pre-eminence in shape?
I haven't re-read TCOM and TLF since they came out:because they always struck me as only just better than the simple examples of the weak comic fantasy of the time neatly subverting the high fantasy tropes, AFAIK, they whoosh through neat subversions: is that Cohen the Barbarian? Could that be Fafhrd and the Gray Mauser? Are we now following the world's most scared "wizzard" through a Dragon riders of Pern skit at the edge of the world? It's not that the two books are duds, it's that when PTerry started getting into his stride he was writing books about how people worked and how

2 I think Mort (for Death) Wyrd Sisters (for the Lancre Witches) and ("Guards Guards" for the guards are good entry points, and there are remarkably few duds in the whole set-up (apart from over-use of the Dungeon Dimensions in earlier books). It's a world that after the first few books isn't simply becoming a fantasy trope-fest (although there are plenty of fantasy tropes gleefully subverted), but a world about how people work narratively. Most like Dickens in richness of texture and varieties of humour from puns and wordplay to banter, irony, wit, sarcasm, fierce indignation and sheer silliness (there are extra treats for people who've read or read about history or various other things (like Shakespeare or the Bible or Gormenghast (a lot of Unseen Academicals reads rather like Gormenghast with the unlikeable Smeems taking the role of Abiatha Swelter and Nutt as the basically decent and civilised Mr Flay, while the more psychopathic and dangerous among the Faces could be Steerpike, and then there's the actual football stuff I don't know much about, and the send-up of Romeo (Trev) and Juliet (Jools): "Two households all alike in villainy" (snort). Perhaps my favourite aspect is the Patrician getting gloriously plastered. We've seen him weakened by lack of food and sleep etc many times, but not that wonderful send-up of the Machiavellian lord with famously abstemious habits)

Incidentally, where do the wizards come in as known later (as a stable-ish squabbling system headed by Ridcully without much reliance on Dead Men's Pointy Shoes) I think it's Moving Pictures where Ridcully the Brown is set up as a hearty proponent of huntin' shootin' and fishin' while the other wizards want big dinners and a quiet life except for the Bursar who's developing his nervous tic.

Question 3: Anybody else have a distinct preference for artists? I have a very strong preference for Paul Kidby, mainly because I don't necessarily much like the early preference for "THIS IS FUNNY, therefore exaggerate characters and scenes until they're pretty much unrecognisable"--which was the standard look for early comic fantasy that was in my opinion much worse than really good comic fantasy like PTerry's (Craig Shaw Gardner. some Piers Anthony, the Robert Asprin things. Josh Kirby is a much better artist than the ones they had, but has the same way of hitting you over the head with humour.
Josh Kirby draws Granny Weatherwax as a standard crone with her face fallen in and an expression of elderly imbecility. While she can exaggerate the "poor old woman" bit for effect, and at least once wished she was toothless enough to be discounted by others, her standard expression is fierce calm and barely-suppressed rage, and she's very dignified (although a lot of the humour involves getting her flustered). There are Josh Kirby covers I do like: particularly The Truth. It's well-composed, and although it's busy and still very caricatured, it allows me to follow the action--even for the casual cameo role for Brother Pin and Sister Tulip, and a glimpse of Otto Chriek.

Paul Kidby bases his work on actual art-works and draws characters the way they look. Miss Treason festooned with Boffo, with ravens, clocks and skulls. That gorgeous and rather romantic version of Bill Door and Miss Flitworth done after "American Gothic". The City Watch look the way I expect them in Night Watch. The one I can think of that looks wrong is Lu-Tze because Kidby is pushing "Tibetan monk in orange robe" so hard he looks important, when he's a scruffy, scrawny History Monk with an important job to do. I only realised who he was because he had a broom... (Apart from the covers I'm looking at the Imaginarium e-book, which is wonderful!)

Looking at the "Discworld Massif" on the Paul Kidby website...how many people can you identify? I started wondering why Vimes has such a silly-looking helmet, and then realised that as well as his "internal scruffiness field", of course it's something a bit like a custodian helmet, the hat famous for making British bobbies look a bit of a tit but protecting their heads since Robert Peel set up policing by consent. (not about much nowadays as sensible officers have better gear when trouble is expected).

What do you think?

Last edited:
1. The Librarian is turned into an orang-utan in The Light Fantastic - it's a throwaway joke that ended up with him becoming one of the most beloved characters.

2. On the whole, I agree with you about the early books. You're correct about the UU Faculty led by Ridcully first appearing in Moving Pictures - the characters for each of them are gradually established over several books, but that is the first definitely appearance of Ridcully, Ponder Stibbons, and the characters known as The Bursar, The Dean, Lecture in Recent Runes, Senior Wrangler, and Chair of Indefinite Studies. Some of them come and go and are a little similar in personality, but they're the main bunch.

3. I also like Paul Kidby over Josh Kirby for the book covers, and much of the calendar art as well - but there's other wonderful artists out there. Do a search for Marc Simonetti - he's done the covers for the French books and has also had his art appear elsewhere.

As for Discworld Massif - there is a key that Paul Kidby has provided somewhere - I bought the poster to put on my wall, and I think there was a small guide card that came with it.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
I agree with the earlier books subverting the many fantasy tropes rather than being biting satire but I think, except for National Lampoon's 'Bored of the Rings', Terry was possibly the first UK author to be doing this at that time, with other authors following. With CoM and LF, it definitely helps if you have read Moorcock, Leiber, Lovecraft, etc. (I always found the accusation that he copied Unseen University from JK Rowling and Hogwarts both hilarious and equally irritating at the same time.
)

Regarding the human condition and satire, Terry definitely showed signs of this and what was to come with some of his pre DW works;
“...and the funny thing was that people who weren't entirely certain they were right always argued much louder than other people, as if the main person they were trying to convince were themselves.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Bromeliad
These are always worth a read and I generally recommend reading the DW series from the beginning if I know the other person is aware of the authors and their works he is subverting. That way, they do get to see the development of Terry as a genuine satirist and world builder.

Another vote for Marc Simonetti as a cover artist and his non-DW work is worth a look as well. :)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Just a sort of footnote: Moving Pictures was the first novel in which Ponder Stibbons appeared, but the name was first used in the dramatization of Mort (I'm pretty sure). in the novel,- Rincewind is the one who fails to give Albert his staff at a dramatic moment, but Steven Briggs felt those few sentences were too little to create Rincewind on stage, so he changed the name to a nonentity called Ponder Stibbons. Having been created, Stibbons was later put to good use.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
About the Josh Kirby covers... I disliked them until I noticed that there is a hidden picture in them. If you fuzz out the picture and look at the shapes as a whole, there is a single emblematic picture made up of all those odd shapes. I first noticed it with Feet of Clay, where the chest and abdomen form a mouth and the head becomes the tip of a nose.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Definitely Moving Pictures is a special book as it introduces, Ponder, Ridcully, the Faculty and Gaspode the Wonder Dog. Detritus becomes more fleshed (stoned?) out.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I think Woofb's questions have been answered, but two things here that I found amusing...

I always found the accusation that he copied Unseen University from JK Rowling and Hogwarts both hilarious and equally irritating at the same time.
Does anyone (other than dyed-in-the-wool Rowlingites and clueless media figures) ever make that accusation anymore?

I'm confused. Surely UU is a glorious multi-layered satire of:

1. Gormenghast (obviously);

2. Early universities (e.g. the university of Lisbon) - especially the Roundworld suspicion from "townsfolk" that university graduates were too clever by half and consorted with demons. On Discworld, that's actually true;

3. Present-day universities (especially Oxford);

4. And (lately) the British Civil Service, with the UU staff's insistence on committees and tea breaks (with chocolate biscuits). :)

Detritus becomes more fleshed (stoned?) out.
Probably best not to use the words "Detritus" and "stoned" in the same sentence, given Detritus's strong stance on Slab (Jus' say 'AarrghaarghpleeassennononoUGH.') ;)

Given that "Slab" literally melts troll brains (and is made by mixing ammonium chloride with radium), I think Detritus is justified in taking a strong stand on it! :)

Woofb

Constable
Oct 24, 2021
I think Woofb's questions have been answered, but two things here that I found amusing...

Does anyone (other than dyed-in-the-wool Rowlingites and clueless media figures) ever make that accusation anymore?

I'm confused. Surely UU is a glorious multi-layered satire of:

1. Gormenghast (obviously);

2. Early universities (e.g. the university of Lisbon) - especially the Roundworld suspicion from "townsfolk" that university graduates were too clever by half and consorted with demons. On Discworld, that's actually true;

3. Present-day universities (especially Oxford);

4. And (lately) the British Civil Service, with the UU staff's insistence on committees and tea breaks (with chocolate biscuits). :)

Probably best not to use the words "Detritus" and "stoned" in the same sentence, given Detritus's strong stance on Slab (Jus' say 'AarrghaarghpleeassennononoUGH.') ;)

Given that "Slab" literally melts troll brains (and is made by mixing ammonium chloride with radium), I think Detritus is justified in taking a strong stand on it! :)
Nicely answered, indeed!

Just a sort of footnote: Moving Pictures was the first novel in which Ponder Stibbons appeared, but the name was first used in the dramatization of Mort (I'm pretty sure). in the novel,- Rincewind is the one who fails to give Albert his staff at a dramatic moment, but Steven Briggs felt those few sentences were too little to create Rincewind on stage, so he changed the name to a nonentity called Ponder Stibbons. Having been created, Stibbons was later put to good use.
This might be the case, but the published script definitely has that (small part) character as Rincewind... So, perhaps he changed it back before the script was published?

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Dang, I seem to have misremembered the story. I could swear it was before, but according to online sources, Briggs's adaptation of Mort appeared in 1996, and MP was published in 1990. So I humbly apologize, you are correct that MP was Ponder's first appearance anywhere. Still, the replacement was done for performance reasons.
- supported by the fan wiki at:

https://discworld.fandom.com/wiki/Ponder_Stibbons

User Menu

Newsletter