SPOILERS Sourcery Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Turtles4Ever

Lance-Constable
Jun 6, 2010
=Tamar said:
Turtles4Ever said:
It also has a rather high "waffle factor", in other words Terry often meanders off for a few paragraphs (or pages!) and totally drops the story, so ruining the flow.
Just a difference of opinion here. I see those as adding grace notes, or like touches of color in a painting that add to the whole. A novel need not always be a single rush of plot.
I agree, I suppose it also depends on whether the "waffle" diverts from the narrative too much. In the case of Sourcery I find that's the case.

Of course Terry progressed to using a lot more footnotes in his books which I think was a good decision.

Feb 4, 2013
=Tamar said:
Turtles4Ever said:
It also has a rather high "waffle factor", in other words Terry often meanders off for a few paragraphs (or pages!) and totally drops the story, so ruining the flow.
Just a difference of opinion here. I see those as adding grace notes, or like touches of color in a painting that add to the whole. A novel need not always be a single rush of plot.
I agree. One of my favourite moments in Sourcery was the build-up towards, and pay-off for, the "inspiration particle" theme, and how the particles that revolutionize history instead keep missing and hitting frogs, birds, and bricks. It certainly sets an absurdist tone with a determinist underlay, and that fits nicely with a story of how even the wizards are powerless in the presence of the sourcerer Coin.

Plus, the asides are just delightful to read. It's the literary equivalent of sitting peacefully in front of the fire, stroking a cat in your lap and sipping hot chocolate. It's nothing exciting, but you're used to it, it's cosy, and you always enjoy it.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter