Stephen King...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Okay, who here has read more than one Stephen King book?

*puts hand up*

Ooh! Ooh! Me!

I have read eight of his books: the first three Dark Tower books, The Shining, The Stand, The Green Mile, plus the Richard Bachman books Rage and The Running Man.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've read a few, but I have to say that sometimes I think there's two people writing the books. Some of the stories are excellent - really well written, moving and thought provoking. But others are bland, boring just silly.

As a rule I don't bother with his books these days as I found the writing too hit or miss.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
I've read a few, but I have to say that sometimes I think there's two people writing the books. Some of the stories are excellent - really well written, moving and thought provoking. But others are bland, boring just silly.

As a rule I don't bother with his books these days as I found the writing too hit or miss.
Hmm. Maybe that's a matter of opinion. But then again, I haven't read many of his recent books, unless you count the revised version of The Gunslinger.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I can't honestly remember which ones as I read them so long ago. I just know that I stopped reading them because they varied so much.

I'm not generally interested in the Horror genre and have found books like The Green Mile, Misery (which I don't consider horror), Dolores Claiborne and some of his short stories to be excellent.

I just got up a list of his books and that jogged my memory a bit. Cujo, The Dark Half and Christine are books by him that I remember reading and thought were silly.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Quatermass said:
poohcarrot said:
:oops: I said they were silly too. :oops:
Which ones?
Q I totally agree with Pooh and Tony on this. Books are hit and miss and DONT ask me which ones... I can barely remember my kids names let alone book titles.

This was the reason I stopped reading Stephen King. Couldn't be arsed starting a book that I had no idea was going to be good or bad... see a NEW writer I can take a chance with... but SK just got too risky..... good? bad?... rather read a book that MIGHT be good.

Willem

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2010
Weert, The Netherlands
I've read loads and still am reading the new ones. I also enjoy the silly ones (although the Dark Tower ones got really, really silly near the end).

I do tend to take quite some time reading them, I usually finish three or four other books while reading King. Especially the longer ones - currently I'm about one-tenth in Under the Dome and I got that one in July :)

Werewolf87

Lance-Constable
Mar 22, 2011
I read Lissey's Story, which I liked very much. That's the only book by him I read so far, but I have the first three parts of the Dark Tower somewhere in my book shelf and I intend to read those.

I know quite a few of the movies derived from his books. To this day I can't look at Tim Curry without remembering Pennywise (...which probably contributes to my thinking that the actor looks creepy as hell).

Dec 15, 2008
Norway
poohcarrot said:
I've read a few. They start off OK then they tend to go silly. :rolleyes:
I agree. It's like he gets bored writing some books and therefore the endings seems very rushed.
I thought It was quite good until the spider thingy was introdused.

polythenegirl

Lance-Corporal
Sep 6, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Aside from the most recent one I've read all of his books that I can find (including some of the books of short stories). My favourite is by far and away the Dar Tower series, easily the best thing he has ever written. Second after that is The Langoliers

I can understand where people are comign from syaing that he is hit and miss and things can go silly in them, but it doesn't bother me all that much. I like his style of writing

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
I've read them all. A handful are very good, a couple are excellent, the rest are crap.......in my opinion, that is, but I still like 'em anyway :laugh: My favourite is The Stand, I think that was his masterpiece. I also liked Running Man, Rita Hayworth etc., The Shining, Needful Things, The Green Mile, Misery, Dolores Claiborne and some of his short stories.

User Menu

Newsletter