Streets of Ankh-Morpork

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Andrew Böber

Lance-Constable
Nov 24, 2009
London, UK
Just having great joy looking through Stephen Briggs and TP's "The Streets of Ankh-Morpork" again. It adore this map. It's better still when unfolded in the Edwardian veneer of my work office - a place which looks more and more like it has been decorated by Commander Vime's, which at least explains my method of filing (i.e. the floor).

I proudly have the clarecarft Ankh-Morpork Coat of Arms plaque hanging on a wall for my degree certs and chartered bunff. If anyone asks I just say it is a family crest - there has only be one member of staff so far who has clocked what is actually it.

Altogether I am not sure if this equates to me being an extremely sad sort of person, though if it does than it is one which paradoxically makes me happy.

There is certainly an hint of Ankh-Morpork when you work in a zoo. Your feet tend to navigate you around the place wearing an old pair of boots on autopilot; the air is often thick with pungent odours that could be described as interestingly engaging insofar as you’d want an immediate divorce with your sense of smell, let alone the custody rights to its lingering memory; the sense of fashion is influenced by varies centuries whilst never deciding what the present timeline actually is; your not sure where the animals end and the people start or the people start and the animals end, much the same as where people start and people end and animals start and animals end; no one really trusts wizards

Andrew

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've always been in two minds about my Discworld maps. On the one hand I'd like to get them framed and put on the wall - on the other hand, I'd hate to destroy them by doing so. Yes, I could buy extra maps. But then I'd probably need a bigger flat for the wall space I'd need. :rolleyes:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I have the Streets of Ankh-Morpork up on the wall in my bedroom (formerly my office) but it's not done any justice in there, although it did do sterling service as something to look at and make me smile whilst I was in still in gainful employment. :laugh:

However, my Mappe of the Discworld is a different matter and has a unique and fitting place to be displayed...

and

I've posted these before but the thread's buried somewhere in last year :laugh: My dad made it for me about 6 years ago and I've now got it in the living room (pictures were taken in the conservatory/gardening tool dump :oops: ). The Mappe itself will need to be replaced soon as it's faded rather badly, but maybe I'll save that for the conference and get the new one signed :laugh:

Nov 3, 2009
Finland
If only wood didn't hate me, then I'd make something like that. :eek:

My map of Ankh-Morpork graces the door to my room. I'm looking forward to seeing the reactions of our guests at my graduation party in two weeks' time. :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm said:
I have the Streets of Ankh-Morpork up on the wall in my bedroom (formerly my office) but it's not done any justice in there, although it did do sterling service as something to look at and make me smile whilst I was in still in gainful employment. :laugh:

However, my Mappe of the Discworld is a different matter and has a unique and fitting place to be displayed...

and

I've posted these before but the thread's buried somewhere in last year :laugh: My dad made it for me about 6 years ago and I've now got it in the living room (pictures were taken in the conservatory/gardening tool dump :oops: ). The Mappe itself will need to be replaced soon as it's faded rather badly, but maybe I'll save that for the conference and get the new one signed :laugh:
I just have to say that is truly awesome.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
It'll be even more awesome when I get around to putting my new signed map of the Dysk in there (the signature's on the booklet not the map) :laugh:

Some kind person sent a new one a few month's back but it was still out in the conservatory then. We've moved it back into the lounge again now so less light to fade it - photos will be sent in when I get around to switching them over 8)

User Menu

Newsletter