Sunrise/Sunset Wave

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Nov 30, 2009
Which way does the wave tattoo face for it to be sunrise/sunset wave? I can't see any indication in the book other than the comment about the tattoo being "the wrong way round".

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site realmofconfusion!

As to your question, I suspect it depends on which side of the island you are on. ;) *

* I haven't a clue either. :oops:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Hi realmofconfusion.

The sun sets in the west and rises in the east. So I reckon the sunset wave comes from the west ie; goes left to right and vica versa for the sunrise wave. 8)

I mean, we are talking islands here, so obviously you can see the sea from all directions

Myrdred

Dec 5, 2009
In my book (the blue paperback), there´s a picture where the wave goes left to right and then its a standard world map at the beginning of it. At the end its a picture of it going right to left and then a world upside down map. To me that means that the first one is the sunset wave and the one in the end is the sunrise one.
[/code]

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Myrdred said:
In my book (the blue paperback), there´s a picture where the wave goes left to right and then its a standard world map at the beginning of it. At the end its a picture of it going right to left and then a world upside down map. To me that means that the first one is the sunset wave and the one in the end is the sunrise one.
[/code]
Hang on a minute - the first one's like pooh and Dotsie were saying so it's a sunset wave...

...but if the end illustration's got the world upside down then it's from the other hemisphere because the first being 'the right way up' must be the northern hemisphere? (even if this is on a Discworld it's still the same perspective for the picture but on it's head? And Turnwise, Widdershins, Hubwards or Rimwards? :rolleyes: )

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
What are you on about, with hemispheres and discworld? How come your explanations are more complicated than the original problem? o_O

What I would say is, if the map is upside down and the wave going from right to left, then they're both sunset waves. Simple 8)

User Menu

Newsletter