Terry and Rob on Twitter

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

TiannaStarfall

Lance-Constable
Dec 12, 2008
UK
www.tiannastarfall.co.uk
Everyone seems to be joining twitter recently, this last couple of weeks I have had lots of emails/newsletters from really diverse sources saying "follow us on twitter" or "we are now on twitter" or such like.

Twitter must have a very successful marketing team as I had not heard of them before this!

I guess I will just have to go and join up and see what the fuss is about!

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I have an enormous 'allergy' to those sorts of communities although some good friends of mine belong to them - but when I did have a mobile phone I hardly ever took calls on it and only ever called out to say the train had been cancelled... I think I may be a hermit in fact! :rolleyes:

Mar 8, 2009
I was forced into joining Facebook at knifepoint!! :laugh:
I really didn't want to, and my older sister made me an account anyway. All I ever get on there is stupid things like:

- "[Insert-name-here] just compared you to some of his friends, click here to find out more!"
- "[Insert-name-here] took the "What Brand of Wholemeal Biscuit Are You?" quiz - click here to take it too!"

... I mean, honestly... :devil:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Byakuran said:
I was forced into joining Facebook at knifepoint!! :laugh:
I really didn't want to, and my older sister made me an account anyway. All I ever get on there is stupid things like:

- "[Insert-name-here] just compared you to some of his friends, click here to find out more!"
- "[Insert-name-here] took the "What Brand of Wholemeal Biscuit Are You?" quiz - click here to take it too!"

... I mean, honestly... :devil:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I found it all a bit crap really joined after one of my mates who had moved away down South kept on at me to join and a few ex colleagues were there as well,got a bit fed up with total strangers e-mailing requesting do you want to be my friend (pee offski). :twisted: lasted about a week and deleted the account. :)

cols

Lance-Corporal
Nov 5, 2008
ireland
Jan Van Quirm said:
Reason to join/not join - Philip Schofield's on it.... :eek:

:laugh:
:laugh: :laugh:

I registered for FB but I never used it :sometimes it gets a bit overwhelming to be too contactable (if that makes sense) If my friends want to swap pics then I'd rather do it over a nice cuppa :laugh:

TiannaStarfall

Lance-Constable
Dec 12, 2008
UK
www.tiannastarfall.co.uk
You can never fully delete your Facebook account though - that really annoyed me when I found out. I signed up, couldn't work out what the fuss was about and then removed all my info but couldn't delete my account. I have been thinking of just putting a link to my website there and leaving it at that.

I joined Twitter (blame terryandrob) and now that I have installed "Twitterfox" (a plugin for the firefox web browser) I am really enjoying it. The sort of twitters I am following makes it a bit like a news feed, saves me from trawling the web - let someone else do it and tell me about it!

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Twitter, Facebook, MySpace etc etc are really good for networking/raising profiles/marketing even if you don't get into the chat side of it. I have a new site going up soonish and we'll be putting some shameless plugs on there - just 'cos I don't like it don't mean people who like similar stuff to me don't use it. Get the word out... :twisted:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
TiannaStarfall said:
You can never fully delete your Facebook account though - that really annoyed me when I found out. I signed up, couldn't work out what the fuss was about and then removed all my info but couldn't delete my account. I have been thinking of just putting a link to my website there and leaving it at that.
You can - but it's not straightforward. I speak as someone who has accomplished the task. ;)

Follow the link to get off your Face(book). :laugh:

bogieman

Constable
Jul 26, 2008
Hmmmmm just joined twitter and can honestly say I don't like it or understand it. Facebook is fairly simple but this !!

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
I've avoided these things too. I had an old classmate contact me and try to get me to join Facebook with the lure that several of our other classmates are on it. I was half tempted to try before I thought, wait, they haven't bothered to try to contact me in any other way in XX years. If the only contact they're interested in having with me is sending silly jokes through Facebook, why bother? In fact after a few emails catching up with each other, I haven't heard from that 'friend' again. :rolleyes:

User Menu

Newsletter