Terry in the Media

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
newscientist.com said:
Pratchett himself is slight, dressed all in black.
There we go with his height. There's too many tall reporters. :p

newscientist.com said:
What methods do Discworld's inhabitants use to conserve their supply of water?
I'd say that the water that falls off the disc freezes and floats around disc in space, turbulated by the turtle's flippers and the gravitational pull of the sunlet and moonlet, until it's sucked back onto the disk by the gravitational pull near the Rim, or near Cori Celesti, where it turns into rain or snow (and then glacier fed rivers) respectivly.

Do I think about this stuff too much? :p

Phoenix

Lance-Corporal
Oct 4, 2009
Hampshire, England
Argh, that interview in the Telegraph was annoying! :twisted: How can it be possible for a journalist to attempt to make someone appear as nutty as possible and then go on to say they wouldn't have noticed he had PCA?! That's about one step away from "but you don't look sick"... and if I was (were?) Terry, that's about half a step from being thwacked in the shins with the cane!

I liked the article in the New Scientist though, although still don't get the obsession with having to state how tall someone is :rolleyes:

cols said:
According to this

http://hollywood.premiere.com/celebrity-Terry+Pratchett

he's 5ft 8" which is not small :laugh:
Oooh I can almost look him in the eye! And my mum would be taller than him ... so not exactly big - but then I come from a family where all the men (apart from my uncle) are over 6foot so I am pretty used to tall men ...

No it's not small - I suppose its to give people an idea that have not looked at a photo of Pratchett.

If Terry would I am sure he'd set up a real Campaign for Equal Heights.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
When I fly back to the UK, I try to have a stopover in Amsterdam to aclimatise back to the West. It always feels like I've been transported to Land Of The Giants. At Schipol airport I'm suddenly a dwarf!

I reckon it's all those tall thin houses that make the Dutch so tall.

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
the reason the houses in Amsterdam are so thin is that there was once a tax on the width of the house (centuries ago) so being Dutch we build our houses as thin as possible and as tall as possible coz there was no tax on tall buildings :laugh:

btw I'm 196cm :p

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
Sjoerd3000 said:
the reason the houses in Amsterdam are so thin is that there was once a tax on the width of the house (centuries ago) so being Dutch we build our houses as thin as possible and as tall as possible coz there was no tax on tall buildings :laugh:

btw I'm 196cm :p
wow that's reasonaby clever, right thing to do, if i can tell (and I'm from Genova!! Our fame is worse than the Scottish's about money)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Who's Wee Dug said:
poohcarrot said:
Sjoerd3000 said:
how much is that in meters? :p
Well, I'm 5'11" which is about 183cm, so take 3" off that. ;)
what part do you want 3" taken off pooh. :rolleyes:
68 Inch(s) = 172.72 Centimetre(s) (taken from a proper conversion table)

Crysania - I'm 5ft 2 ins 157 cms but I'll let you eat rice over me if it'll make you feel better! ;)

Aren't the Dutch now officially the tallest nation in the EC? I know when I went over for work trips most of the guys I was meeting with were all like 6' 6" 198cm ish). Just as well I only usually went for 2 days - my neck ached like anything even sat around a table (only because they were all GORGEOUS - couldn't take my eyes off the one I was working with most! :p

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
Jan Van Quirm said:
68 Inch(s) = 172.72 Centimetre(s) (taken from a proper conversion table)

Crysania - I'm 5ft 2 ins 157 cms but I'll let you eat rice over me if it'll make you feel better! ;)
Thank you! Actually I don't do it because it's not nice and mostly because 6 cm are not enough :laugh: but the thought is much appreciated!

User Menu

Newsletter