Terry reference on U.S. TV?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Sharlee

Apr 9, 2009
Hi, folks! I'm new here. :)

Did anyone else from the U.S. catch last night's episode of Criminal Minds? Believe it or not, it started out with a Terry Pratchett quote, the one about darkness always arriving somewhere before the light.

It seemed far more morbid in the context of a show about hunting for serial killers than in a Discworld novel, of course, and the episode itself was rather pedestrian. Still, it was remarkable to see a reference from Terry's work on an American prime-time network. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Funnily enough, I was reading a Kathy Reichs book (Bare Bones) last night and one of the characters was reading a Terry Pratchett book - she didn't say which one. ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tonyblack said:
Funnily enough, I was reading a Kathy Reichs book (Bare Bones) last night and one of the characters was reading a Terry Pratchett book - she didn't say which one. ;)
Sounds like Reaper Man to me ;)

Welcome to the site Sharlee!

Hey All, new to Site Long Time Fan

The quote was actually abridged from a bit in Mort. The actual quote is

"Light on Discworld isn't like light elsewhere. It's grown up a bit, it's been around, it doesn't feel the need to rush everywhere. It knows that however fast it goes darkness always gets there first, so it takes it easy."

They left out the good bits to make it seem more sinister, since it was Reid's quote.

"Light knows that no matter how fast it goes darkness always gets there first." is what they used on the show.

I was simply amazed that my husband, a Non-Reader (Gasp) recognized, and said "Isn't that your favorite author?" lol, I guess he does know me a bit, hehehe.

User Menu

Newsletter