Terry working to save church...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
No problem! Wouldn't have known about it if someone hadn't posted it on another forum. It seemed particularly relevant to other discussions here. I agree, I don't think it in any way comprimises his beliefs. It also nicely illustratrates that he can find value in something he doesn't believe in, IMHO.

Jan 2, 2009
It's a lovely little church, and one doesn't have to be a christian to want to preserve it.

I'm not a christian, but I love the architecture of churches.

Cheers, Vena

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Jan Van Quirm said:
Thanks for sharing this Catch-up - :laugh:

I think it's a wonderful thing for Terry to do and I don't see how it compromises any of his own convictions in any manner whatsoever.
This recalls that great line from "Making Money," describing how the Royal Mint was originally supposed to be a temple designed to attract a TBD god. Something like,

"When you put up a temple without an assigned god, you're expressing your belief in architecture."

Perfectly appropro. I'm a firm believer in preserving ancient and good architecture, whatever its use!

:)

J-I-B

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
My last house (before I gave up the good life to become a student) was a Gospel Hall that Mr Dotsie converted for us. The first Easter we were in there, a procession of people came and prayed outside it.

I loved the bit that mentioned that it was the church used in Colin Firths Pride and Prejudice. :laugh: I love ancient architecture. Give me an old church, castle, house, cottage anyday to homogenised council estates. Houses all looking the same, as the Monkees once sang ... but I do care! It is part of our history. I used to live near an old church and I used to take my dog through the grave yard and read the names on the grave stones and wonder what happened to them and their lives. I used to cry when I read that there were babies buried there.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Dotsie said:
My last house (before I gave up the good life to become a student) was a Gospel Hall that Mr Dotsie converted for us. The first Easter we were in there, a procession of people came and prayed outside it.
Well, see, that's the difference between Europe and the States. Here, people only pray outside your house if you've found an image of Jesus in your jam sandwich.

:laugh:

J-I-B

User Menu

Newsletter