The book of lost things.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Octa

Jul 28, 2008
ENGLAND!!!
I've just started said book, it is both sinister and amusing. I would recommend this for Terry Pratchett fans and fans of Lewis Carroll work. It has tones of the style of Frances hodgson brunetter (writer of the 'secret garden' and 'the little princess') in the fantasy style and could be seen as quite 'Nania'-ee.

Aimed more so at the teen audience, as some adults may find the fiction too juvenile. John Connolly writes the tail of a young boy suffering from the loss of his mother and the change in family life with a crooked twist.

It distorts the old fairy tales in both a disturbing and thoughtful way.

I am only on chapter 19 (X1X) so if any have read this before me please don't ruin the ending for me ^ ^

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I loved this book. When you've finished it you may not find it as juvenile as you think - but then I thought it was pretty sinister all the way through!

Oh I really struggled with this book. I liked they way that some of the old fairy tales were brought forward and related back to the original tales that the Brothers Grimm collected - blood and guts included instead of the Disney style ones.

But I just couldn't click with the book. I just didn't connect with the characters. By the end of the book I was really quite happy that the last 3rd of the edition I had were book club reading notes - which I skimmed over before giving it away to my brother to have a bash at.

I have Every Dead Thing sat on my book shelf ready to read but as The Book of Lost Things was my first book by John Connolly it puts me off picking it up.

imperfectlynormal

Lance-Constable
Oct 25, 2008
I really liked The Book of Lost Things. I did find it pretty sinister, one character in particular gave me the willies.

This won't give away the ending, as they end differently, but has anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth and noticed the similarities?

User Menu

Newsletter