The Book Thief

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Tony's latest entry in the Times game reminded me of this book.
The Book Thief is written by Austrailian Markus Zusak, whose mother grew up in the area of wartime Germany where the story is set. I was mainly attracted to this book by the novel idea, it was narrated by Death.

It's a really great read for all ages (except maybe REALLY young children).

Has anyone else read it?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I have! :laugh:

Last time I was in Tucson it was the book for discussion at the library discussion group. Sharlene wasn't up to going after her surgery so I read the book and went instead.

It really is a marvellous book that I would highly recommend. It's one of those books that has you laughing out loud one minute and shedding a tear the next - there are some very funny bits in there.

It was generally very well received by the group and just about everyone agreed it was an excellent book. :laugh:

Nienna

Lance-Constable
Dec 15, 2008
Northern Ireland
I've read this! I love love love love LOVVVVEEE this book! It's literally one of my favourite pieces of modern literature ever. I don't know why I was just absolutely fascinated by it. It might have had something to do with my complete ignorance of world war history - any history really, so it surprised me a lot. I also loved the idea of words being so important. I read a lot a write a bit, so communication by language means a lot to me.

Jan 19, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Read it last year. Fantastic book. I recommend it to everyone. I was attracted to the cover - death dancing with a little girl - and then I read the blurb on the back and I had to buy it. Death narrating the story was a fantastically good idea - but I have to say the story made me cry in places. Wonderfully written. :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Everyone liked it at my reading group except one woman, who thought it was too twee. Well, it is a bit. You can't please everyone!

Albert_Spangler

Lance-Constable
Feb 5, 2010
Unknown
Just read Fighting Ruben Wolfe and it is indeed very good. It is different to the Book Thief, but still shows that Zusak is a good writer. The relationship between the family members is the main point to be discussed in this book. I would definately say try it. It is a story about fighting, but it is worth a look!

User Menu

Newsletter