The Carpet People

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

LadyL

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Frankfurt/Main
I just started to read Terry´s first novel and stumbled over the authors note in the beginning.

It says in extracts:

The Carpet People was published in 1971 and had a lot of things wrong with it mostly to do with being written by someone who was 17 at the time.
And it sold a bit and eventually it was sold out.

7 years ago Discworld books began to sell and the publishers decided time for a new edition of the CP. The author, now aged 43 said to this:

"Hang on, I wrote that in the days when I thought fantasy was all battles and kings. Now Im inclined to think that the real concerns of fantasy ought to be about not having battles, and doing without kings. I´ll just rewrite it here and there....".

Well, of course I got curious and wondered.....
Does anyone own the original version or has at least read it?
Or maybe someone was able to compare both editions?

Oh, and I nearly forgot: the original 1971 hardback is available on amazon Germany for a bargain of 980 Euro :eek: just in case :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've only read the updated version once and wasn't all that impressed I'm afraid. I guess I'll try again one day - if I have nothing else to read.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think my trouble with it was that I just couldn't make the leap of thinking of people that small. If they were living in a carpet why didn't they get sucked up the vacuum cleaner? And how long did they live compared to us? If a very short time then what did they make of night time? How long had that match been left on the carpet?

That was my problem - the consept gave me too many questions that weren't answered in the book. I will try and read it again though... maybe... ;)

50ft queenie

Lance-Constable
I've only read it once (didn't get a chance to re-read this one) but I really liked it. I realize that Terry was quite young when he wrote it and that even with a rewrite, it still is a book written by a 17yo boy.

I had fun reading it and I think that all the questions Tony poses that are not answered didn't make a difference for me cause I was just enjoying the rest of it so much! xD

VesuvianRuin

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Sheffield, UK
What I like about this book is that it's obviously a pre-cursor to the Bromeliad series which I absolutely loved. It shows the development of an idea which came to full fruition a lot later. The Carpet People is best read before Bromeliad as if read after it will disappoint.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
VesuvianRuin said:
What I like about this book is that it's obviously a pre-cursor to the Bromeliad series which I absolutely loved. It shows the development of an idea which came to full fruition a lot later. The Carpet People is best read before Bromeliad as if read after it will disappoint.
Good point! I think that was part of my problem. I was thinking 6 inch high rather than microscopic.

Jarmara

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
www.brisinga.co.uk
I like Carpet People! I always actually thought that Fray might have been the carpet being swept/vacuumed. An original copy of the book was auctioned at the 96 DiscCon if I remember right, but my paltry 20 year old's wages couldn't bid high enough to own it :(

Jul 26, 2008
Well unfortunatly :laugh: i do own a copy of the original, albeit without a dustjacket :oops: and too be quite honest as i read the two not simitaniously i cant remember what differences there might be :laugh: so im affraid im just usless really lol but hey were only human, i think o_O i will make an effort to compare again over my holiday and if no one has i will give my opinion of the two differences if still needed, either way im sure theyre both going to entertain me for a few hours :laugh:

LadyL

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Frankfurt/Main
The_Discworldaholic said:
Well unfortunatly :laugh: i do own a copy of the original, albeit without a dustjacket :oops: and too be quite honest as i read the two not simitaniously i cant remember what differences there might be :laugh: so im affraid im just usless really lol but hey were only human, i think o_O i will make an effort to compare again over my holiday and if no one has i will give my opinion of the two differences if still needed, either way im sure theyre both going to entertain me for a few hours :laugh:
I look forward to reading your reviews - hope there IS a difference at all though :laugh:

and congrats on the original, treat your savings book arefully ;)

Witch from Lancre

Lance-Constable
Aug 4, 2008
West Yorkshire
I haven't read it for a long time but I too see it as the groundwork for the Nomes. One of my grandchildren thought it was great but another wasn't that enamoured. I'll have to read it again.

I think it's a shame that today's children can't immerse themselves in this sort of fantasy story instead of whatever is the latest scifi/fantasy on the box or in the cinema that requires little imagination. I ensured that my 3 grandchildren have read all the children's books TP has written by reading them to them from an early age.

Pat

Jul 25, 2008
Tonyblack said:
If they were living in a carpet why didn't they get sucked up the vacuum cleaner?
If I'm remembering correctly - and not getting confused with another book - doesn't Snibril get advanced warning of the coming of the fray by sensing a change in the air which becomes painful, something I assumed was the pressure difference from the vacuum cleaner?

boohoo

Lance-Constable
Sep 18, 2008
just next door
I did read a friends copy of this years ago and after reading the mixed reviews from here, I thought I'd try again because, lets face it my memory isn't the best.
Haven't quite finished yet because I thought it would be a good time to introduce my 9 year old to TP. It's going slower than usual, so far we are both enjoying it. She more than me. Not because the books bad but because she wants every scene explained and if there's a word she doesn't know we have to go to the dictionary (it's a school thing). If she wants more it's going to be the Wee Free Men, I think she'll quite like Tiffany.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
The_Discworldaholic said:
Got it for a steal actually, brought it from a second hand book dealer in Totnes for £8.00 :laugh: he really didnt know what he had at the time lol
That was probably from the man who's shop is now closed. :laugh: :laugh:

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I thought it very far fetched :) Having put that I think it's because they have to be so small, like germs. It isn't very believable that they could also be intelligent beings as well. Though at 17 I certainly wouldn't have had that much imagination at all.

User Menu

Newsletter