The carpet people

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
Who's Wee Dug said:
I like the cover but won't buy it because I have the 91 edition. :)
I bought my paperback in 1993, and so have the Corgi edition.

The book was first published in GB in 1971 by Colin Smythe Ltd;
The revised edition published in 1992 by Doubleday;
and lastly published by Corgi in 1993.

In the Author's Note, Terry writes:
This book had two authors, and they were both the same person.
The Carpet People was published in 1971, It had a lot of things wrong with it, mostly to do with being written by someone who was seventeen at the time.
And it sold a bit, and eventually it sold out. And that was it.
And then about seven years ago the Discworld books began to sell, and people would buy them and say, "Here, what's this book The Carpet People by The Same Author?' and the publishers got so fed up with telling people that there was no demand for it that they decided it was time for a new edition.
Which was read by Terry Pratchett, aged forty-three, who said: hang on. I wrote that in the days when I thought fantasy was all battles and kings. Now I'm inclined to think that the real concerns of fantasy ought to be about not having battles, and doing without kings. I'll just rewrite it here and there...
Well, you know how it is when you tweak a thread that's hanging loose...
So this is it. It's not exactly the book I wrote then. It's not exactly the book I'd write now. It's a joint effort but, heh heh, I don't have to give him half the royalties. He'd only waste them.
You asked for it. Here it is. Thanks.
Incidentally, the size of the city or Ware is approximately ->

Terry Pratchett
15 September 1991

Wee Annie

Jan 1, 2009
The Carpet People.
This was the book that introduced my kids to TP. (not kids anymore) My daughter has all the books now. Her OWN copies. I don't have to wonder where mine are anymore. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter