the clour of magic / interpretation

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

turtle

Lance-Constable
Apr 5, 2010
I am like a tourist on the discword on this forum. Rincewind:"tourist must mean idiot!" and that how it is. Actually, I am trying to interpetate Sir Terrys first Discworld novel, but I am not ver good at it so pelase help me to find a "suitable" interpretation.
First of all I would say that Ankh-Morpork is like a huge city likewise New York or Berlin. By the way, I am from upper Austria so... Moreover, I would say that Ankk-Morpork is the playball of the gods. Lady Luck controls Rincewind and Twoflower... The controlling of the gods maybe emphasises that people in lower classes are also controlled like marionettes by rich people. Well, what else, in my opinion it is ver difficult to interpret this book, maybe its just difficult for me. Or its just too late ^^ It´s 11:23 pm in Europe... please I need a interpretation on the colour of magic
Finally, thanks Tonyblack for answering so quickly(you are my hero)

turtle

Lance-Constable
Apr 5, 2010
turtle said:
Thx for welcoming(=maybe wrong vocabulary I am not very gifted in english^^) me....
No problem so we can hide together in a corner, if there is one, which is big enough.
:)

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I think that Ankh-Morpork could be any city. In many ways I think it is similar to my city of Dublin but in other ways it is a very typical medieval European city and in other ways like New York or even a S American city. That is the appeal of the place.
Of course in this book Terry introduces the concept of the Discworld. The world is really a joke of the beliefs of the ancient Greeks and Romans.
The continent where Two-flower is from represents the discovery of the Americas by Europeans and the wealth they expected to find and eventually didi through violence. Two-flower him self represents all of us and the tourist culture.
The dragons that only exist if you believe in them is really about the human brain and what it makes itself believe.

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
In life many things are there just because we believe they are. Our belief in things that are not there or that we just can not proof are there are made somewhat more real to us because of the power of our brain.
Sorry if that is a bit confusing but I can not think of a better way of explaining it.

turtle

Lance-Constable
Apr 5, 2010
turtle said:
Hey I am happy for every post, because I am really bad at interpreting. But as I realised there are some really talented guys, like you. Unfortunately there are some like me who are sitting in a corner and cry

Laughing Well, lets have a corner party with some pickles and a nice terry lecture!^^ Actually, I am writing a summery of Terrys first Discworld novel(much easier than interpretation I think). Moerover, I have to pass an examen about his literature in a month and I am really afraid, because for me it is not very esay to talk about a book for at leat 15 min, which isnt written in my mother tongue. But all in all I am happy that all terry fans are soo nice to me...
Wink
:laugh: ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Turtle, it is kind of difficult for us to be able to do your exam work for you. It's also a little dishonest as it really should be your own interpretation or summary that you give.

If you are doing a liturature exam, then you need to show the examiner that you, personally have understood the book rather than just asking other people.

I would suggest that you try your hardest to explain what YOU think the books are about. It doesn't have to be the right answer or the wrong answer, but it should be YOUR answer.

I'm sorry if that seems harsh, but you will gain no real insight of the books unless you do the work yourself. :)

turtle

Lance-Constable
Apr 5, 2010
turtle said:
I just wanted to pick up some general opinions! o_O I am sorry if I acted unpolite! :oops: Nevertheless, I am happy that you showed me that i had extravagated.
Hey, my own summary is 3 pages and I did it all by my own ^^ Unfortunately my interpretation is just a few sentences, but its my own and I think it is quite bad, but ...

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
You weren't impolite, turtle. :laugh: Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I would just say this which may help you - the first book - Colour of Magic is very much a parody of several other writers of sci-fi and fantasy. The dragon riders, for example are a parody of the books of Anne McCaffrey.

You might find the annotations on L-Space useful for these references. :)

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter