The Colour of Magic Movie

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Re: YAY!

Tonyblack said:
Conspiracy Theory said:
Got my copy on DVD today.

I'm about 1/2 way through part one.

I have the following to say:

Yes, there are plot deviations.
People don't look and sound the same way they did in my head.

However,

It's a fun story.
Getting lots of laughs.
As far as pure entertainment value goes, it would be difficult to top.
I intend to watch it again, and again, and again.

I am looking forward to anything else coming out on DVD.

:laugh:
Well said!

It would be impossible for the film makers to produce a movie that satisfied everyone. If people really want to watch the movie that's in their heads then they need to read the books. :laugh:
I have to say I haven't seen any of the Sky films with David Jason even though I like him very much as, for Rincewind, he's just not right at all as per the book.

It's hard with the book to movie transitions if you really love the book and know them intimately. My sister is also an LotR freak (worse than me actually) and she still refuses to watch the Trilogy. In a way she's right as the last 2 and especially No 3 really don't cut it at all with all the deviations and omissions but I'm glad I saw them (and in the cinema) as the bits they did get right and especially the locations and set constructions were really breath-taking at times and several times reduced me to tears. :oops:

I may watch all of Hogfather and CoM soon - I have seen a little bit of CoM part 2 and that was OK so I'll get to it eventually - bit like reading the Tiffany books ;)

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
The Colour of Magic actually came last weekend in the german television. ONE AND A HALF YEARS LATER :eek: They're extremely slow. The german version of the DVD will probably come out by christmas or after. Well, I won't be bothered with this, I'll just order the english version because the translation is very, very BAD. :)

Jun 13, 2009
Earth
Audio

Just one complaint.

I'm hearing the movie in 5.1 surround. The echo when death is speaking lags so much that he's actually interrupting himself.

That is to say, the echo comes in about 1/2 way through the first word and I can't understand anything he's saying at that point.

Anyone else have this problem?

Jun 13, 2009
Earth
Sorry for beating a dead thread, but it's still new to me.

Some random babbling:

*Didn't notice this the first time through, but one of the Astrozoologists is Mr. Pratchett....Cool!

*I understand the argument that Twoflower seemed more asian in the book, but I lived in the UK for most of the 80's and, having had the opportunity to observe my fellow countrymen from a resident's perspective, believe me, Twoflower as an American is more accurate than you might think.

*The actor who played Bethann, looks very familiar, what else have I seen her in?

*If anyone has the dragon-lady's phone number, could you ring her and tell her that I've been a naughty, naughty boy? (yes, I went there...I blame it on the wine) :)

*The actor who portrayed The Henna-haired Harridan deserves a medal. How she could even breathe in her "Fredericks Of The Inquisition" lingere is a mystery.

*My mental image of Rincewind had always been a middle-aged, chihahua-esque man. The actor who portrayed him as the world's oldest freshman did a wonderful job! I loved it!

*Tim Curry! He just does something for a 'bad guy' role that makes you want to laugh! :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm really glad you enjoyed it and would agree with pretty much everything you've said.

The actress playing Bethan is Laura Haddock <--- here's her IMDB entry with everything she's been in.

The IMDB for Colour of Magic can be found HERE.

And Sir Terry also plays a role in Hogfather. ;)

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Conspiracy Theory said:
*I understand the argument that Twoflower seemed more asian in the book, but I lived in the UK for most of the 80's and, having had the opportunity to observe my fellow countrymen from a resident's perspective, believe me, Twoflower as an American is more accurate than you might think.
I would agree that his personality is definately a cliche of the American tourist. We were mainly (I believe) discussing what he ought to have looked like.

His opinions and actions certainly aren't Asian.

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
I'm sorry to double-post, but I thought this deserved it's own post:

blogs.reuters.com said:
What happened to the Ugly American, the one with the loud shirt and the loud voice, expecting the natives to speak English? Has he been shouldered aside by the Arrogant French?

That’s the conclusion one could draw from a survey this month of 4,500 hotel owners around the world who rated the French the world’s worst tourists, bad at foreign languages, arrogant and tight-fisted. Spaniards, deemed noisy and messy, came second in a field of 27. Americans ranked 9th on the list of the top 10 best.
http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2 ... ereotypes/

Ninth best! It looks like hotel owners, at least, like us (as long as we don't burn the hotel down).

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Well I have to say, I always thought Americans were easy to have around. And when we went there, everyone was very friendly (although getting into bars was a bit difficult, even though I was 30 at the time). Except in New York. New Yorkers are not naturally happy people!

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Dotsie said:
New Yorkers are not naturally happy people!
Yeah, I have a working theory that the city was built on a massive Indian burial ground.

Either that, or generations of Indian souls are punishing the descendants of the men who bought Manhattan for a bunch of beads.

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
The enduring nature of stereotypes, scientific studies challenging their veracity notwithstanding, is reflected in an evergreen joke about the nature of heaven and hell: Heaven is the place where the lovers are Italian, the police are English, the mechanics are German, the cooks are French and the place is run by the Swiss.

Hell is where the lovers are Swiss, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the police are German and the place is run by the Italians.
That one just cracked me up :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter