The Discworld Portal

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
This post isn't about TV, film, or theatre, but it seemed the best place to put a post about a podcast. I've held off on posting about my show until I got a head of steam going on it-- and made sure our super moderators gave me the ok. Well, I've done 10 shows and finished my first season. I'm working on my first show for season 2 now. I post, publish, or whatever they call it on Fridays. I want to invite interested forum members to give me a listen. The show is on Google Play, Apple and Stitcher thus far. I'm a Nac Mac Feegle amongst the slick bigjob podcasts, but I have fun, and I've gotten some very nice feedback from some listeners. So I hope you'll consider stepping through the Portal for an episode or two. I love to hear from my listeners, and if you have any ideas or requests for season 2, just respond to this clacks. At this point I'm still struggling to come up with an overarching theme for the next ten episodes, so any and all input (about that or about the show in general) will be greatly appreciated.

all the best,
Randy aka The Medieval Gnome aka Mountainbard aka Leo Silvertip (obviously I've been deeply affected by Altogether Andrews)

p.s. I'm told I have the perfect face for radio, and I think that applies to podcasting as well.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm four episodes in and really enjoying the podcasts. I'm looking forward to listening to them all. It's a bit like having a chat with a Discworld fan at a convention. Great work!

Thanks mate! I feel like that's high praise indeed, and it's exactly what I'm striving for with the show. I want it to feel as much like a conversation as possible, and I've recently found a new company that purportedly allows podcasters to set up (and air) live chats with listeners. I haven't delved into the details yet, but if it's feasible for me to do, I could potentially occasionally have chats with Tony, as well as with people in England, Brazil, and the Netherlands who have contacted me about the show. Good stuff!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Okay - I've listened to all of the first series and I am eagerly awaiting the second. Friday is a great day for me as I have podcasts of various types to listen to throughout the week - apart from Fridays. So that's great. I love how you talk about your cats, Holly and Ivy and wondered if you were aware that Terry was an avid cat lover. He wrote a book about cats (The Unadulterated Cat) which I understand was never released in the US. There is also an interview here somewhere (I'll try and find it) he did with Cat Magazine.

I ask if you are aware of The Unadulterated Cat as my late wife, an American Pratchett fan and former owner of a Bookstore in Tucson AZ, had never heard of it until I pointed it out. I know she approached friends she had from Harper Collins about whether it would be released over there.

That's good stuff, Tony! I'm delighted you found the show so listenable. I like it!

I'm aware that Sir Terry was a great cat lover, but I have never heard of The Unadulteraded Cat either. The Cat Magazine interview is superb, and vintage Pratchett. Between being able to read the one and not the other (yet), and your enthusiasm for the show, I am thinking my season two "big idea" might be coalescing on this Wednesday afternoon. That would be lovely, since it is Wednesday afternoon. So I'll get back to not writing about it until it's ready to.

There's a pretty impressive-looking storm line to the west. I always like it when there's more out on the horizon. We're due for some thunderstorms. and I just saw a flash of lightning. I guess I'd best have Igor get the lighting rod up.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
The Unadulteraded Cat is available right here, where you'll find links to Amazon, Waterstones, Foyles and WH Smiths. It's also available on Book Depository and Abe Books. :) Abe Books is normally the cheapest option, but I'm not sure how reliable their service is because I never ordered from them. Does anyone know?

Coming back on topic, I've listened to the first two podcasts. Sounding good! :) I'm having lots of fun. Thank you, MountainBard. *thumbs up*

Would you care to return the favour? I've created a few videos, all available on Vimeo. :) There are some dramatisations of speeches from US history, as well as one of Poe's classic short, "The Tell-Tale Heart". I have no producer or director, but create them all myself, as you have done. Hope you enjoy! :)

Why thank you Rath! Love your kitty avatar btw. When I get a minute I'll have to get a Holly-and-Ivy avatar up here. I found a copy of The Unadulterated Cat online today, and it should be on its way here. I can hardly wait to read it. I've never used Abe Books so I can't help you there.

And thank you for the compliment! I am beginning to get some email feedback from listeners. I've averaged under 50 plays for the first 10 episodes, but the curve of listens per show is on a lovely upward trend. I've had a couple of very encouraging ones. As I'm sure you know, encouragement in the form of positive feedback to a creative artist is like stygium-- very cool to have, but dangerous if it's not kept in perspective. Constructive criticism is similar, but it's much harder for most people to give constructive criticism than encouragement. And of course there are those folks who think destructive criticism is cool.

Anyway this is all to say that I love the encouragement I've gotten from you and Tony already. I feel like you are two true Pratchettarians, to maintain your commitment to running these boards, and the fact you're listening-- more than once-- is delightful.

I will absolutely return the favor. I can't wait to watch your videos. I've bookmarked your page, and will be giving them a full viewing in the next couple of days. They'll help my own process as I put together Friday's show, even though they're not about the Discworld. What you're doing is right up my alley, and the fact that you are another Nac Mac Feegle podcaster tickles my innards. "Ta' can onlie be one t'ousan!"

best bard regards,
that guy with as many aliases as Moist Von Lipwig :geek::roflmao::rolleyes:

and from my producer and director, who are also most definitely torties (actually we think they're really visitors from Tralfamadore, disguised.) My wife is on me to pick another planet because she has trouble saying "Tralfamadore." Some people just have no sense of adventure. IMG_0476.jpg

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I beg your pardon, but I don't know what you mean by "Nac Mac Feegle podcaster"... :oops: Och, I dinnae ken ta' can onlie be one t'ousan! Mebbe one t'ousan an' win, aye? :)

An' aye, yer tabbies are bonny! ;) My avatar is my mom's cat in earlier days. Noo, she be sniffly an' sneezy wit' a cold. Och, noo! Waily waily waily ... :(

Crivens! Rath I love your dramatic readings of American political speeches (and Poe.) Hearing them done in 'Stralian really makes one attend to the words again, and your cadence and emphasis are a wonderful imaginative re-creation of the style of American political oratory in the 18th and 19th centuries. Well done. And alas, how things have changed.

Bigjobs. Gonna give 'em sich a kickin'! And the Portal is indeed a Feegle in the world of slick bigjob podcasts. And everyone knows Feegles have more fun. :mrgreen:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I just listened to the latest episode (via. Spotify). It's always good to refresh ones memory regarding how the Discworld works and to hear again some of Terry's stealth punes, such as Hersheba (Hershey Bar).

The nature of belief would be an interesting topic for season 2, I think. Belief is everything on the Disc. Without it the gods would not exist - although that works for our world as well.

The nature of belief would be an interesting topic for season 2, I think. Belief is everything on the Disc. Without it the gods would not exist - although that works for our world as well.
I like the way you think, Tony! Your suggestion is spot on. "The nature of belief" was one of the things rattling around in my head. It just needed coalescing from reading the three words-- since it seemed to be incapable of providing them itself. And as it happens I'm re-reading Lords and Ladies at the moment, and it has some excellent stuff about belief as practiced by both Nanny and Granny. So away we go.

It will also be fun to explore the way belief blends into and influences narrative causality.

Nienna

Lance-Constable
Dec 15, 2008
Northern Ireland
Just started listening, on episode 3. Alongside the Mad Notions podcast (lads from my part of the world who chat about music history myths) you are now accompanying me on my journeys to and from work!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I just listened to the latest podcast. You were absolutely correct when you said: "I hear you saying ; what about . . .?" My first thought was : what about Small Gods? As for Pyramids - the story of Dios is incredibly tragic.

User Menu

Newsletter