The Great Ghost Rescue

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
One of my favourite books as a young 'un, The Great Ghost Rescue, is being made into a film! Squeeee! I can't wait.

It might be rubbish, but I don't care. It's about time Eva Ibbotson got a book turned into a film. I'll be there on day one with my popcorn. Alone, probably, unless I can find a sticky midget to take with me.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I had never heard of it before, Dotsie but I Googled & it looks good. May go & see it with my friend. We love kids films.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Dots.. you don't need sticky midgets to go see kids movies.....

and if you disguise yourself as an old man or a priest you get a whole row to yourself and get to stretch out in comfort. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I used to go and see 'kids' movies on my own (Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia etc.). You need to go to the first showing of the day (usually around 11.30 am) when it's term time. Not a sprog in sight and the cinema practically empty.

Who the hell wants to pay through the nose to sit in a crowded, noisy cinema full of kids with the attention span of a goldfish? :laugh:

dennykay

Lance-Corporal
Apr 21, 2011
Berlin, Germany
Tonyblack said:
Who the hell wants to pay through the nose to sit in a crowded, noisy cinema full of kids with the attention span of a goldfish? :laugh:
ugh. children in the cinema = no fun.

LOTR - the return of the king was out, i went to see it the day it came out. i had seen the two towers in the same cinema, also on opening day, complete with people in chain mail who stood up and yelled 'hail, king theoden!' on his first scene - that was great!

so, the cinema was absolutely full. one row down a sat mother with her son, who kept talking and talking during the movie, but it wasn't too bad, as the kid even knew they were called oliphants, not elephants, and the kid wasn't too loud, and it was kinda cool.

but then.

last scene: at the grey havens, gandalf just watched bilbo enter the boat and is -just now!- turning to tell frodo to get on board, and the whole cinema knew what would be happening (having read their Tolkien), you could actually hear the inhale of literally everybody to begin crying over the shocked hobbits' faces, and there was a millisecond of silence after the inhale, and into that millisecond of silence, the kid from one row down asks, full volume: "Moooom, why are hobbits so small?"

everybody, and i mean everybody, turned around and glared at that kid. i hope he wasn't scarred for life.

User Menu

Newsletter