SPOILERS The Long War *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
Q, I think it's got more to do with the Higgs Boson elementary particle. :)

Edit - I think that's what you are saying though. o_O
Uhh, yes. I said that the joke had been done before. I just didn't want to spoil the pun. :|

How did someone put it? Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You may understand it better, but it's rather messy and humourless afterwards. :rolleyes:

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Quatermass said:
Just finished reading it, and I was surprised by the negative comments. While it is true that it's far from perfect, it feels at about the same level as The Long Earth, albeit for different reasons. I thought that the examination of how Stepping would affect politics was better than it was in the previous book, and the new species were welcome. But the sense of wonder has diminished, and the humour is not quite there either. Anyone else get the feeling that Stephen Baxter is the one doing most of the writing here? :think:

Overall, pretty good book.
Yes, me. :eek:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Finished it this morning. Its not bad but its not great. Some of the ideas in it are frankly crap to be honest. Its not that they're out there or anything , they're just not interesting in how they are written or portrayed. Ending was only ok and the whole War that's more of a cold war that never gets going made the book as a whole quite boring for large chunks.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Haven't read any previous messages because I want to avoid the spoilers, but I just started reading this. I'm about halfway through and still waiting for something to happen. Baxter must be borrowing from the George R. R. Martin school of endless new character introductions with long, uninteresting backstories and pages of long-winded exposition that go nowhere and clumsy pontificating from one-dimensional side characters. I really do hope this gets better and isn't just a 'transitional' book setting up for a third.

Finally finished it last night.

To be honest, I quite enjoyed it. It was a similar feel to The Long Earth (i.e., a slow journey of exploration, rather than a plot that actually goes somewhere coherent) but definitely felt much more exciting this time around - Joshua's situation with the beagles was enough of an exciting climax for me that still held a good sense of urgency.

I think it was just a little bit better than The Long Earth.

Yes, it is not the same as Terry's other books but I don't think it has to be.

rpedro

Jul 16, 2013
I actually have a question about the last page. After the earthquake and the flash of light what exactly happens to Datum? Did it blew up?

thanks guys

So at the end of The Long War (definite spoilers!)
- Yellowstone has erupted, and eventually crashes into an entire crater, at least as big as a US state
- the resulting dust and ash in the air is likely to make life on the Datum all over a very difficult thing to do...
- so it may not exactly /destroy/ Datum, but it's a major disaster.
Although we don't get to exactly know what's happening because we see it through Jansson's eyes as she lays dying.

I'm sure it's not just me, but I expected a short epilogue where Jansson awakes the same way Agnes did at the start of the book...

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Okay, now I've finished it and...well, I think it's a mess. A gigantic, overwritten mess. I didn't think the first book was that great, but at least it stayed mostly focused on the Joshua/Lobsang/Sally story.

Here we get all sorts of new characters added, many of whom (like Helen's father) play no role other than to voice a didactic point of view. I didn't understand the need for or the role of the clergyman. We get far too little of Helen (who to me is little more than a Long Earth version of the long-suffering Helen from the James Herriott books, always waiting at home while hubby it out birthing calves in the middle of the night). The political posturing is banal and childish, with no nuances at all. The whole miraculous 'winning back of the trolls' story--they're all about to go walkabout and a hologram convinces them to return?

So much of this is so stupid. Beagles and kobolds can learn perfect English in days, when it takes humans years and years and years to master a second language? And we're supposed to believe that in ten years kobolds evolved from glorified apes to become conniving CMOT Dibbler types hooked on The Kinks?

And this whole idea of nearby step worlds gradually becoming overdeveloped is ridiculous. It took mankind several centuries with a population of billions of ruin Earth, and now a fraction of that population is ruining the nearby Earths in just a decade?

And also the notion that with millions of these worlds available that Datum would have the resources to go after tiny little settlements in each and every one to make them pay taxes? Hell, there are plenty of places in our world where we can't easily find people.

And, also, if the twains are used instead of steppers to move people across worlds, why then couldn't they simply take those who couldn't step on their own (like Helen's brother) to other worlds? That would solve the jealousy issue immediately. After all, if a twain can move tons of inert inorganic materials across worlds, why not humans?

The resolution of the long war itself is a total cop out. A huge Lennon-like "Give Peace a Chance" rally ends a military operation? Yeah, we've seen how often THAT works in real life. And then suddenly all of the Know Nothings back on Datum earth see the light and become hippie-dippie troll lovers? Sure. Close-minded fanatics are known for their intellectual flexibility.

Worst of all was the ending. Yet another deus ex machina just like the nuclear bomb in the first one. Big, huge destructive catastrophe forces millions to leave the Datum, which looks like it's about to totally explode.

And the biggest waste is the use (or non-use) of Joshua. He's thoroughly wasted here. His trip to Earth has no effect whatsoever. His trip to Beagleworld has no effect other than creating an opportunity for him to be tortured and turned into a potential martyr, although for what we don't know. He doesn't save the trolls; hologram Lobsang does. So why is he here at all?

I think the main problem is that there is far too much Baxter and far too little Pterry. I'd guess that only a few chapters were written by Pterry, and those were the Lobsang chapters because they're characterized by the long-winded dialogue that has characterized Pratchett's recent work.

The only things I truly enjoyed in this book were the references to past DW books. The avatar of Lobsang essentially dressed as a sweeper (named Lobsang!) is a cheeky reference to Thief of Time and the hunt scene on Beagleworld was certainly based on the Wolfgang/Vimes hunt scene from The Fifth Elephant. I don't even think it would be stretching it to say that Second Person Singular is in some ways the Discworld itself, living beings traveling on the back of a living creature.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
I'm in total agreement with this summary. I didn't want to write a review myself until I have read it a second time in the hope that it made more sense then but I cannot face it. The book is frankly crap and a total waste of time reading it and an even greater waste of time writing it.

PS. This is my positive review, the negative one isn't fit for publication

User Menu

Newsletter