The perferct actors for the parts of The Witches

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Mad! I was SURE I had seen his name in the credits under Producer but when I tried googling it I could find nothing so said nothing......
YES! I was right! Don't be so cynical. Perhaps he put up a chunk of the money to help a friend get his production made.

We are all a little one eyed about thinking EVERYONE on earth loves DW. But you DO know its still unknown to ALOT of people. Just because we didn't like David Jason as Rincewind doesn't mean he wasn't wanted to play it.... OR liked by some. And if it meant that DW got made then so be it.

Jan 12, 2011
Alas,Germany
I think Miriam Margoyles would be brilliant for Nanny,she´s just the comfortable,blustery type with a twinkle in her eye like you would expect.
I like Maggie Smith for Granny,she has this air of indesputable command,which was why she was brilliant for Prof.McGonagall.Besides,I think those two would enjoy playing Pterry so much,that it would bring a lot of esprit to the dialoges.
I´m not sure about Magrat,I think so far I think Alison Hannigan is the best vote.
For Verence,if we are looking in the Harry Potter cast,I´d prefer one of the Weasley twins.They are experts at being funny,so would be a ggod choice,but can also play serious parts,too.Best is,they can switch from funny to serious really quickly.Rupert Grint always seemed to be the eternal idiot to me,much as I like him in HP.

Cool Middle Name

Lance-Corporal
Apr 2, 2011
Cardiff, Wales
I agree with Maggie Smith being Weatherwax. She has this air of knowledge and solidity in HP which would be great for Discworld.
She also has the apparent looks required of Granny Weatherwax, though i did always picture Granny being older.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
See, I don't think Maggie Smith will ever get the part precisely because of the part she playing in Harry Potter. It would be too much like type-casting. And her accent is wrong (in my opinion). Granny should sound a bit like the yokel she is. She needs something like a Somerset or possibly Norfolk accent. :)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I could suggest Honor Blackman as Granny Weatherwax, but she's too glamorous. But does anyone reckon that Jane Wymark would be a good contender? She's got the looks, with enough makeup, but do you reckon she's a good enough actress to transform into Granny Weatherwax?

User Menu

Newsletter