The Quatermass All-Purpose Media Review Thread

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: My Hero Academia Season 2 Episode 13: Time to Pick Some Names, and Episode 14: Bizarre! Gran Torino Appears by Yosuke Kuroda, from the manga by Kouhei Hirokoshi

TYPE: TV series

DETAILS: MHA2.13-2.14, 2X25 minute episodes

It’s been some time since I watched the anime adaptation of My Hero Academia, and it’s well past time I started again. How would watching the beginning of the next arc fare after such a long absence?

After the UA Sports Festival, Izuku Midoriya and his classmates find themselves rather popular. And after choosing their tentative hero names, they find themselves embarking on internships. Izuku gains an offer from All Might’s brutal mentor Gran Torino, but can the eccentric and possibly senile old man help him? Meanwhile, Tenya Iida starts down a dark path, one that could end in his demise…

The story is a pretty good adaptation of the beginning of this arc. The drama and the comedy are balanced well. True, it’s by no means perfect, with there being little plot, just exposition and worldbuilding in a transition phase to the next arc, but still, it works well.

Justin Briner is, as always, superlative as Izuku Midoriya, and so too is Christopher Sabat as All Might. Charles Campbell makes an interesting debut in these episodes as Gran Torino. The rest of the cast does well, though I feel Robert McCollum has lost the more promising elements of his debut as Stain.

Production values are pretty good, as usual. A particular highlight is Izuku’s first spar with Gran Torino, brief though it is. Everything works together as a coherent whole, even if these episodes aren’t as action-packed yet.

Overall, these were a good beginning to the next arc of My Hero Academia. Hopefully, I will continue…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: The Sandman, Chapter 2: Imperfect Hosts by Allan Heinberg, from the comics by Neil Gaiman et al.

DETAILS: SM1.2, 1X35 minute episode

So, after a significant hiatus, I finally got back around to watching the Netflix adaptation of The Sandman. But how would the second episode fare? Let’s find out…

Morpheus, aka Dream of the Endless, is upset at the state of the Dreaming, and in order to restore it, he needs his relics, tools that contain much of his power. However, to do so requires that he sacrifice the life of the Gargoyle Gregory, to seek audience with the Fates, something his underlings Cain and Abel aren’t happy about, given their attachment to the Gargoyle. Meanwhile, the Corinthian confronts Ethel Dee, the last person known to have Morpheus’ tools, intending to ensure Morpheus can’t regain them…

This episode’s weakest element is the plot. I do think some elements could have been merged with later episodes, as this feels like a transition between story arcs, though to be fair, this is partly a fault of the original source material, even when expanded upon. True, it’s not actually bad, and has some wonderful emotional moments and fantastic setpieces.

Tom Sturridge, as proven by the first episode, is going from strength to strength as Morpheus, while Boyd Holbrook as the Corinthian and Vivienne Acheampong as Lucienne build on the success of their prior appearances. Sanjeev Bhaskar and Asim Chaudry are pretty damn good as Cain and Abel respectively, giving some much-needed humanity and nuances to the comic characters’ dysfunctional relationship. Finally, David Thewlis makes his debut as the creepy and yet pathetic John Dee, with the promise of more to come.

Production values are, as before, utterly superb. The sheer fantastical scope of the Dreaming is given full force, and the special effects are on par to deliver that scope. A particular highlight is the sequence where Morpheus summons the Fates.

Overall, while nowhere near as good as the first episode, this episode of The Sandman is a decent transition to the later story arcs. Here’s hoping it goes back to its original giddy heights…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: House of the Dragon: Episode 3: Second of His Name and Episode 4: The King of the Narrow Sea by Gabe Fonesca, Ryan Condol, and Ira Parker, from the works of George RR Martin

DETAILS: HOTD1.3-4, 2X60 minute episodes

It has been some time since I watched House of the Dragon. But would absence make the heart grow fonder as I delve deeper into this prequel of Game of Thrones? Or would it not work out?

For three years, Daemon Targaryen has helped the Velaryons try to defeat the Crabfeeder and his corsairs. Meanwhile, Rhaenyra, despite her father’s claims, feels her position as the heir to Viserys has become tenuous with the birth of her half-brother Aegon, and to her estranged friend Alicent Hightower. Having seen what motherhood did to her own mother, Rhaenyra is reluctant to wed, especially to men who won’t see her as anything but a broodmare. And Daemon’s victory and return may yet cause more cracks to appear in King’s Landing…

I have to admit, after the first two episodes, these ones are something of a letdown, albeit in a minor way. I feel that they get too bleak, too quickly, even knowing that the Dance of the Dragons is on its way, and it’s depressing to see relationships go through ups and downs so rapidly, to say nothing of the rather uncomfortable intimate scenes involving Rhaenyra in the fourth episode. But the political machinations and the character interaction is nonetheless on key most of the time. And seeing Otto Hightower get some comeuppance is welcome.

The cast is superlative. Paddy Considine works well as Viserys, portraying both his more indecisive, compromising nature, and yet managing to show the fire of the Targaryens at times. Matt Smith as Daemon is a delight as always, as is his nemesis, Rhys Ifans as Otto. Milly Alcock and Emily Carey as Rhaenyra and Alicent show their chops, especially as the respective dark sides of their characters begin to show.

Production values are superlative as before. True, there’s some noticeable hiccups, like the CGI harts in the third episode, but on the whole, there’s a lot to commend these episodes. The battles at the Stepstones in the third episode, for example, especially the climactic one, or Daemon and Rhaenyra’s often-surreal sojourn through Flea Bottom.

Overall, this was a weaker set of episodes compared to the first two. But they’re still of considerable quality and enjoyable all the same…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: Game of Thrones Series 3: Episode 8: Second Sons, Episode 9: The Rains of Castamere and Episode 10: Mhysa by David Benioff and DB Weiss, from the novel by George RR Martin

DETAILS: GOT3.8-10, 3X55 minute episodes

For the first time in many years, I have come back to Game of Thrones. I left the series off just before the end of the third season. But now, I have come back, to finally tick this one off the list…

In Essos, Daenerys learns that Yunkai has hired the Second Sons to stop her, only to have an unusual offer from one of their number. In King’s Landing, Tyrion is wed to Sansa, but both intend to avoid consummating it, despite pressure from Tywin Lannister. Sandor Clegane travels with Arya to return to her family for a price. And in the Riverlands, Robb and Catelyn embark on a desperate plan to regain Walder Frey’s favour, only to fall into a deadly trap…

While the ending is a little anticlimactic compared to previous seasons, it still manages to have an impact, and we’re given at least some breathing space after the infamous Red Wedding. Said event is shown for all the shocking detail that can be mustered. The story pulls no punches, but manages to bring in some small hope as well to close out the season.

The cast do very well, and honestly, the trouble is picking specific examples. Michelle Fairley and Richard Madden bow out wonderfully as Catelyn and Robb at the Red Wedding, an event that also shows David Bradley as the cruel Walder Frey. Peter Dinklage also shows his skills as Tyrion, showing his drunkenness at his wedding and during his later talk with Sansa. And Maisie Williams and Rory McCann show a surprising interplay as Arya and Sandor travel together.

Production values wise, well, what else need be said? They are superlative, and everything hits the right notes, with the two weddings featured in the episodes being particular highlights, as is the final shot of the series of Dany being surrounded by those she liberated. So too is Sam killing a White Walker, with the scene preceding it chilling and atmospheric.

Overall, these were a great end to a great season of a great show. Here’s hoping the next season keeps up the standards…

(I just went back and checked. It's been over four years, it seems, since I watched Game of Thrones.)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Episode 40: The Congress Dances, Episode 41: The Eve of Battle, and Episode 42: The Demon Lords by Kazuyuki Fudeyasu, from the light novels by Fuse

DETAILS: TTRS2.16-2.18, 3X25 minute episodes

So, here I am, continuing the second season of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. But how would these episodes fare? Let’s find out…

Having resolved many of the issues about how to deal with Falmuth, Rimuru now turns his attention to Ramiris. She warns Rimuru that Clayman has convened a Walpurgis, a meeting of Demon Lords intended to turn opinion against Rimuru, while his forces make plans to wipe out the refugees of Euranzia in an attempt to become a True Demon Lord. Plots within plots and plans within plans begin to unravel, and while an army is sent to save Euranzia, the other Demon Lords watch on as Clayman’s plans unfold, and Rimuru counters them…

The plot, once more, is one of the parts that drags. Not quite as much as the last set, true, but there’s still a lot of exposition and plotting, and not quite enough action. It’s not bad, but I think this is a byproduct of adapting a single 200-300 page novel for six half-hour episodes, messing up the pacing.

Still, Brittney Karbowski is a delight as usual as Rimuru. An interesting newcomer, despite appearing mostly in one scene, is Anthony Bowling as the flirtatious and yet dangerous Demon Lord Guy Crimson. The rest of the cast do pretty well.

Production values are, as with previous episodes, done pretty well. True, there’s no real battle scenes, but these episodes also do a great job of visualising imagery that was never illustrated in the light novels, with Guy Crimson’s meeting with Leon Cromwell and Velzard being a case in point. There’s nothing truly spectacular, but it’s still pretty good.

Overall, these were a good transition to the next arc of the story. Here’s hoping those improve…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: The Sandman, Chapter 3: Dream a Little Dream of Me by Jim Campolongo, from the comics by Neil Gaiman et al.

DETAILS: SM1.3, 1X45 minute episode

Having watched the first two episodes of The Sandman, I had to confess, while an enjoyable series, I did have some mixed feelings at times. So, with that in mind, how would the third episode fare? Let’s find out…

Morpheus’ quest to seek out his missing relics brings him to troubled occultist Johanna Constantine. But the authoritarian Endless and the sardonic and jaded occultist rub each other the wrong way. Can they track down Morpheus’ pouch of sand?

Story-wise, this feels a lot better than the previous episode, which felt like it was filler in many regards. Morpheus struggling to understand humanity and his struggle to accept Matthew’s assistance go well with Constantine’s own problems. Plus, the scenes where Ethel and John Dee discuss their plight hits all the right emotional points.

Tom Sturridge, as before, is brilliant as Morpheus, giving him a serene inhumanity and authoritarian nature, while Patton Oswalt is perfect casting as the voice of Matthew the Raven. David Thewlis gets some wonderful scenes as John Dee, showing emotional complexity to this tormented and yet twisted man. One bum note was the casting of Jenna Coleman as Johanna Constantine: while she has the right amount of darkness and sardonic wit, she’s too glamorous, not scruffy enough to be a genderflipped version of John Constantine.

Still, the production values are superlative as before. Ethel Dee ageing to death, Johanna’s nightmare, and the effects of the Amulet of Protection are all done well, grotesque though they are. And even the quieter moments are great, including the final scenes where Morpheus and Johanna bid each other farewell.

Overall, this was a great, if not perfect, episode of this series. Here’s hoping there’s more to come…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Episode 43: The Signal to Begin the Banquet, Episode 44: On This Land Where It All Happened, and Episode 45: Adalmann, The Index Finger by Kazuyuki Fudeyasu, from the light novels by Fuse

DETAILS: TTRS2.19-2.21, 3X25 minute episodes

So, here I am with the next lot of episodes of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. How would these episodes fare? Let’s find out…

With Rimuru accompanying Ramiris to the Walpurgis meeting between the Demon Lords, his forces intend to make their own attack on Clayman’s interests. While Clayman’s forces attacking Euranzia are intercepted by Benimaru’s own forces, Shuna, Hakurou and Souei undertake a dangerous mission into Clayman’s own territory. Both sets will face one of Clayman’s elite servants, the Five Fingers: Benimaru and his allies must face the cruel Yamza, while Shuna, Hakurou, and Souei are forced to face the undead mage Adalmann…

While mostly filled with battles than exposition or plot, and thus lacking in the latter, this still manages to overcome the hump of the previous episodes in this part of the season. Not only do we get to see one of Clayman’s more obnoxious lieutenants get his comeuppance, but we have Shuna finally showing how awesome she can be with a bit of lateral thinking, with the moment from the novels having as much impact on the screen. And we have the final scenes showing the beginning of Walpurgis, promising much for the final episodes of the season.

While Brittney Karbowski does well as Rimuru as usual, Rimuru doesn’t appear as much in these episodes. Instead, the story is carried more by others. Ricco Fajardo as Benimaru, Tia Ballard as Shuna, Stephen Fu as Phobio, and Elizabeth Maxwell as Albis are particularly enjoyable.

The production values are pretty good. True, there’s none of the ridiculously dynamic camera work present on some other shows by other production companies like UFOtable, but many of the fight scenes are spectacular. Some highlights include Benimaru putting paid to the smug Yamza, now forcibly changed into a copy of Charybdis, or Shuna showing Adalmann how outmatched he is.

Overall, these were good episodes of this series. And the finale promises to be as good, if not better…

****½

User Menu

Newsletter