The Quatermass All-Purpose Media Review Thread

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: One Punch Man Episode 1: The Strongest Man, Episode 2: The Lone Cyborg, and Episode 3: The Obsessive Scientist by Tomohiro Suzuki, from the webcomic by One

TYPE: TV series

DETAILS: OPM1.1-1.3, 3X25 minute episodes

Having read the first couple of volumes of the One Punch Man manga, it was probably well past time that I tried the anime. The question was, would this comedic superhero story translate well to the screen? Let’s find out…

Saitama is rather dull and average-looking, and with his bald pate and yellow jumpsuit, he doesn’t look much like a superhero. But thanks to his intensive training, he can now defeat any foe with a single punch. Sadly, this also means that he’s become rather bored with life. But when a heroic cyborg called Genos and the mysterious, malevolent leader of the House of Evolution start paying attention to him, Saitama’s boring existence may be over…or not.

The storyline is pretty thin at the moment, and sadly, that is to the detriment of this series. But the comedy in general is mostly on-par. I can see that the whole joke about Saitama being practically unstoppable will get old if not handled correctly, but so far, it doesn’t do too badly.

Max Mittelman is absolutely perfect as Saitama. He manages to convey Saitama’s deadpan, rather dull nature perfectly, without sacrificing the comedic or serious nature of the character. That being said, I think Zach Aguilar was slightly miscast as Genos, playing his role way too seriously and, well, not quite hamming it up enough. I think a character like Genos needs just a touch more ham in the performance, but between his serious stoicism, he doesn’t make a good contrast with Mittelman, which is a shame, as it’s not a bad piece of casting, it just doesn’t quite fit.

The production values are pretty damn good. Madhouse always seems to have good animation values, and this series is no exception. Beautiful animation abounds for both dramatic and comedic moments, and the action scenes are well done, especially when they do something more than Saitama one-shotting his foes.

Overall, while very thin on story, these initial episodes of One Punch Man were more than enough to make up for it in entertainment value.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: Berserk Episode 5: A Wind of Swords, Episode 6: Zodd the Immortal and Episode 7: The Sword’s Owner by Yasuhiro Imagawa, from the manga series by Kentaro Miura

DETAILS: B971.5-1.7, 3X25 minute episodes

So, once more, I come to the original anime adaptation of Berserk. The first set of episodes showed their age, but pulled through with their story and characters. But would this continue, or would it change for better, or for worse?

Three years after Guts was conscripted into the Band of the Hawk, he has become idolised by the men under him. But Casca is resentful both of Guts’ wilfulness and tendency to obey orders, not to mention Griffith’s favouritism towards him, and while his actions begin to show her that he at least cares about those under him, a rift remains between them. And it all comes to a head when they attack a fortress manned by the infamous and possibly immortal mercenary Nosferatu Zodd, a dark warrior who is no longer human…

Story-wise, the series is going fairly well. There’s a marked difference between this and the movie adaptation, in that it has many character moments not present in the film. Plus, the conclusion of the fight against Zodd hints at the tragedy to come at the end of the series.

The voice acting, while not quite on a par with the movie’s later dub, nonetheless does well. I mentioned in my previous review the superlative work of Marc Diraison, Kevin T Collins and Carrie Keranen as Guts, Griffith, and Casca respectively. The other voice actors do their work well enough, though I find Mike Pollock as Adon a little irritating and too goofy for the character. There’s also a surprise for other anime fans too, with Sean ‘Goku’ Schemmel putting in a turn as one of Guts’ lieutenants, Gaston.

Sadly, once more, the production values are a letdown. It’s not quite as bad here in terms of the animation, but the show does show its age, and the dub does have a few moments of missing lipflaps, even in close-ups. What’s more, Nosferatu Zodd’s voice treatment for much of the fight is unintelligible, requiring an effort to decipher even the more intelligible parts.

Overall, Berserk’s poor production values mar what is otherwise an interesting series. Still, it’s worth a shot…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Episode 10: Guren Dances, Episode 11: Battle for Narita, and Episode 12: The Messenger from Kyoto by Ichirou Okouchi and Hiroyuki Yoshino

DETAILS: CGLR1.10-1.12, 3X25 minute episodes

So, once more unto the breach for Code Geass, marking the halfway point for the first season of the series. But how would these episodes do? Let’s find out…

The Black Knights are getting covert support from the Six Houses of Kyoto, a group of plutocrats quietly supporting the various rebel groups. And just in time, too, for Cornelia has decided to launch an attack on the JLF’s headquarters in the Narita mountains. With Kallen gaining the Guren Mark II, a powerful experimental Knightmare, as her weapon, Lelouch puts into place an audacious plan that may yet allow him to capture Cornelia. But the best laid plans often have unintended consequences…

Wow. What a great set of episodes. The battle at Narita is probably one of the most daring and exciting ones that I have ever seen, and given my lack of fondness for military science fiction or mecha series, I have to admit, I was thrilled. There were also a number of quieter moments, with more hints as to CC’s past, as well as Lelouch coming face to face with the consequences of his actions. It wasn’t perfect by any means, with a few bum notes here and there (like a rather unnecessary and infamous sequence involving a certain character, a photo, and a table), but it’s certainly above the norm for the series.

The performances are all enjoyable, as they have been before. Johnny Yong Bosch does well as Lelouch, getting more confident, even cocky as time goes by. In addition, Karen Strassman as Kallen and Kate Higgins as CC are also great.

Production values are pretty good for these episodes, as they would be for fight scenes. Hell, everything seems to mesh together perfectly, with some interesting and grotesque animation used for whenever the Guren’s Radiant Wave Surger is used. Overall, it works very well indeed.

While not quite perfect, these episodes of Code Geass marked a rise in quality, for these three at least. Here’s hoping the next episodes maintain this quality…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: Berserk Episode 8: Conspiracy, Episode 9: Assassination and Episode 10: Noble Man by Yasuhiro Imagawa, from the manga series by Kentaro Miura

DETAILS: B971.8-1.10, 3X25 minute episodes

So, once more, I come to Berserk. The story balances out the rather shoddy production values, but would this status quo be maintained? Or would it change for better or for worse?

The victories gained by Griffith and the Band of the Hawk have won them much prestige from the King, but it has also aroused envy in the royal court. Count Yurius, the King’s brother, is Griffith’s most spiteful foe, and, goaded by the scheming Minister Foss, has an assassin try to kill Griffith. The attempt fails, and Griffith gives Guts a task…to pay Yurius back in kind…

The story seems to be heating up somewhat. The conspiracy to assassinate Griffith and his counter plot is a good one, and there’s a wonderful and yet chilling monologue by Griffith on what he believes to be a friend. Plus, there’s some foreshadowing of the upcoming arc involving Doldrey.

The character development is going well, with the aforementioned monologue being one of the best parts, along with Guts confronting his own inner darkness after the assassination he is sent on. As usual, Marc Diraison, Kevin T Collins and Carrie Keranen as Guts, Griffith, and Casca respectively do a good job. I still cannot say the same about Mike Pollock as Adon, though Dick Bunting as Yurius/Julius has a surprisingly nuanced moment, and Greg Miller is wonderfully oleaginous as Foss.

Once again, though, the production values drag this down. The matching of the dub’s dialogue to lip flaps are, if anything, getting sloppier. The animation, however, seems to be getting somewhat better, albeit in small ways. But it doesn’t stop the reduction in quality, sadly.

Overall, these three episodes of Berserk were still enjoyable story-wise, but with a distinct lack of production values dragging them down once more. Gah!

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There Episode 1: The Self-Defence Force Goes to Another World, Episode 2: Two Military Forces, Episode 3: Fire Dragon and Episode 4: To Unknown Lands by Tatsuhiko Urahata, from the light novel series by Takumi Yanai

DETAILS: GJSDF1.1-1.4, 4X25 minute episodes

It’s odd what sort of anime series one stumbles across by accident, and GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There is one of them. The novelty of a modern military force entering a fantasy world was certainly a good one for me, but I had my qualms about taking the plunge into the story. But would my dip into GATE be rewarded, or would it be repulsed?

Ginza, Tokyo, the modern day. As Japanese Self-Defence Forces reservist Yoji Itami makes his way to a convention, a mysterious gate materialises within the city, before disgorging a massive army of monsters, dragons, and soldiers in armour not unlike the Romans. The military manage to beat back the invaders, but not before many people are murdered or go missing. Sometime later, the Japanese make a bold and controversial move, to send the JSDF through the mysterious gate and find out who was responsible for the attack and why. Itami is sent in with these forces, only to find things are more complicated than they thought. A vast Empire rules over this other world they’ve been sent to, dragons rampage across the land, and trying to establish any diplomatic relations may be harder than they thought…

Having heard about the fact that the series does have a strong edge of nationalism, of Japanese jingoism, I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of it, at least so far. True, what we actually see is admittedly to the story’s detriment, with the Americans and the Chinese not shown in the best light in some cutaways, and some parts don’t quite feel right, but otherwise, it was an enjoyable and interesting series. Some parts do feel slightly clichéd, in terms of fantasy, but it works out.

I have to admit, Yoji Itami is an interesting protagonist, and David Wald plays him up to the hilt. The other JSDF characters aren’t quite as distinctive, IMO, and while that’s not to the story’s detriment at this early stage, I think it might get better as time goes by. The characters of Tuka and Rory are already of interest, as is Lelei.

Production values are brilliant. A-1 Pictures did a damned good job on this series, I have to say. If I had to pick one issue, it’s probably something more to do with the sound mix on my Blu-Ray rather than the anime proper, as it was hard to make out dialogue in a couple of the scenes involving Emperor Molto. Other than that, it was great.

Overall, the first four episodes of GATE are rather promising and enjoyable, even if the jingoism is a little offputting. Here’s hoping they maintain such quality in future episodes…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: Berserk Episode 11: The Battle, Episode 12: Together, Episode 13: Prepared for Death and Episode 14: Bonfire of Dreams by Yasuhiro Imagawa, from the manga series by Kentaro Miura

DETAILS: B971.11-1.14, 4X25 minute episodes

The original anime adaptation of Berserk has been one of great promise due to the story and characters, but let down badly by the animation. Age and the low budget have not been kind to this series. But as I reach the halfway point for the series, would this change?

During a battle against Chuder’s Blue Whale Super Strong Heavy Assault Knights, a feverish Casca is drawn into a fight with its brutal and misogynistic leader, Adon Coborlwitz. Guts manages to save her, but in the process, the two of them are stranded in a forest, with Chuder’s forces hunting them down. Guts learns that Casca has been pushing herself hard, even through her menses, and she reveals to him the truth behind her resentment, and the reasons why she joined the Band of the Hawk. But if facing inner demons wasn’t bad enough, Guts and Casca, both weakened by their ordeal, must face off against a hundred mercenaries, hired by Adon, who wants his revenge…

The story has been kicked up a notch, with a greater examination of the main three characters. Not only that, but we have some good battle scenes, and while the misogyny and disturbing themes can be rather off-putting, the rest of the story feels elevated. We even get an interesting bit of dialogue between Guts and Casca on their dreams or lack thereof.

There’s some wonderful character development for Guts and Casca in these episodes. This gives Marc Diraison and Carrie Keranen some real good scenes to do. Plus, we get more insight into Griffith’s past, and finally, Adon actually feels like a threat than just a comic relief villain.

While the production values do weigh heavily on the series, things are looking up slightly. True, the lip-flaps problem of the dub is still apparent, and so too are the low budget animation elements. And yet, the battle scenes, despite the repetitive animation in a couple of sequences, feel better than before, especially during Guts’ battle to protect Casca. And the lower budget animation actually helps with Casca’s flashback.

Overall, these four episodes of Berserk were an improvement on what has gone before. Here’s hoping the remaining episodes can maintain that quality…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There Episode 5: The Battle of Italica, Episode 6: Ride of the Valkyries, and Episode 7: The Princess’ Decision by Tatsuhiko Urahata, from the light novel series by Takumi Yanai

DETAILS: GJSDF1.5-1.7, 3X25 minute episodes

So, the first four episodes of GATE were pretty damn good so far, some jingoism and glorifying of the military aside. But how would the series hold up after the first few episodes are done? Let’s find out…

Having gone to the major city of Italica to trade dragon scales to help pay for the upkeep of the refugees, Itami and the 3rd Recon Unit, accompanied by Lelei, Tuuka and Rory Mercury, find something of a situation. Italica is under siege by bandits who were deserters from the imperial army, and the leader of Italica’s defence is the young princess Pina Co Lada, one of the Emperor’s daughters, and the leader of the Rose Knights. Winning the battle against the deserters will be a hard won battle, but even if they win, culture clash may hamper any attempts at diplomacy…

While there’s no actual jingoism present per se in this set of episodes, there is something of a glorification of the military and of, if not violence, then of the JSDF soldiers wiping out the deserters. Not to mention Rory Mercury’s very disturbing reaction to the battle, and Pina Co Lada being made out to be utterly incompetent rather than naïve. That being said, the humour and drama was spot on, in my opinion, and the story in general was pretty damned good.

David Wald’s Yoji Itami was pretty damned good, as noted before, and Brittney Karbowski as Lelei and Molly Searcy as Rory were good. I think, as mentioned about, Pina Co Lada was mishandled somewhat, but Jessica Boone does well for the role. Plus, the rest of the 3rd Recon team begin to get some proper development now.

As before, the production values are pretty damned good. The animation is very well done, and the fights are too. I can’t really add anything to it, to be perfectly honest.

While not quite as good as the preceding episodes, these episodes of GATE were pretty enjoyable. Here’s hoping that it continues that way…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: Berserk Episode 15: The Decisive Battle, Episode 16: The Conqueror, Episode 17: Moment of Glory, Episode 18: Tombstone of Flames and Episode 19: Separation by Yasuhiro Imagawa, from the manga series by Kentaro Miura

DETAILS: B971.15-1.19, 5X25 minute episodes

So, here I am once more watching more episodes of Berserk. After the surprising jump in quality for the last few episodes, I have to wonder, would that last? Let’s find out…

With the war between Midland and Chuder entering a decisive phase, Griffith asks to lead the Band of the Hawk in a seemingly impossible task: to conquer the seemingly impenetrable Fortress of Doldrey. But even as the battle is fought, trouble looms on the horizon, even if they’ve won. Guts is getting restless, desiring to leave the Band of the Hawk to pursue his own purpose, and Griffith may not let him leave the Band of the Hawk alive. And a group of nobles, led by the Queen and the scheming Minister Foss, intend to ensure that, even if Griffith survives the battle for Doldrey, he won’t live long enough to enjoy the fruits of his labours…

These sets of episodes have battles, plotting, and something we’ve been building up to since the tenth episode: Guts’ desire to leave the Band of the Hawk to pursue his own dreams. While not quite as intensely emotional as the prior episodes reviewed, it still manages to hit the spot, with many plot threads tied up…and the signs of the final story arc to come. Everything works to the benefit of the story.

Character-wise, we’re seeing the arcs of Guts, Griffith and Casca going through more development, culminating in Guts leaving the Band of the Hawk after a rematch of his earlier duel. This means that Marc Diraison, Kevin T Collins and Carrie Keranen do get quite a bit to do. And Rick Mann is especially creepy as Gennon.

Still, the production values do drag down the story. The lip flaps aren’t as much of a problem as before, though there’s a particularly bad matching of them when Griffith seduces Charlotte. That being said, the animation does manage to get pretty good in some parts, including Guts and Griffith’s last duel.

Overall, these episodes of Berserk managed to maintain the level of the last few episodes. Time will tell if this continues with the last few episodes coming up…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There Episode 8: Japan, Beyond the Gate, Episode 9: The Hakone Mountain Night Battle, and Episode 10: Despair and Hope by Tatsuhiko Urahata, from the light novel series by Takumi Yanai

DETAILS: GJSDF1.8-1.10, 3X25 minute episodes

So, here we are for the next few episodes of GATE. But here’s where the series gets rather political. Would that turn me off watching more of the series?

Itami, Tomita and Kuribayashi have made their way through the Gate, with Pina, her offsider Bozes, the Elf Tuka, the mage Lelei and Rory Mercury in tow. But even as culture shock sets in for those coming in from the other world, Itami and his allies find themselves answering hard questions in the Japanese Diet. What’s more, someone seems to be targeting them, someone with insider information…and they will stop at nothing to get their own way…

Okay, this is where the heavy-handed political stuff gets annoying, showing the Americans, Russians and Chinese in a very unflattering light. In addition, the scene where Rory tries to seduce Itami is pretty disturbing. Still, these are helped balanced out by the experiences of the characters from the other world in Japan, along with some good comedy and good sequences.

Still, the main characters are still enjoyable. David Wald is great as Itami, going from goofy to serious quite well, with Stephanie Wittel’s Shino Kuribayashi coming into her own. We also have the very entertaining Risa, played by Chelsea McCurdy, not to mention Molly Searcy’s performance as Rory. And then, there’s the apparently sleazy and snide but actually loyal Komakado, an intelligence operative.

In terms of production values, well, it’s still pretty damn good. Indeed, during a battle in the tenth episode, we have a four-way battle between US, Chinese and Russian special forces, with Rory also playing a role, and it’s animated beautifully. Certainly, I have little to complain about in that regard, though the sound mix is a bit tricky at times.

Overall, while the hamfisted political elements of these episodes of GATE are something of a turnoff, if one can see past them, they can enjoy some fairly good episodes…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: One Punch Man Episode 4: The Modern Ninja, Episode 5: The Ultimate Master, and Episode 6: The Terrifying City by Tomohiro Suzuki, from the webcomic by One

DETAILS: OPM1.4-1.6, 3X25 minute episodes

So, having watched the first three episodes of One Punch Man, I have gone onto the next three. But would they stay the same level of quality as the initial episodes? Time to find out…

An encounter with the bald Paradiser terrorists and the rogue assassin Speed O’Sound Sonic leads Saitama to the realisation that his name isn’t well-known, despite his exploits. On Genos’ suggestion, Saitama joins the Hero’s Association, but while he performs very well on the physical exam, the written test results are abysmal. And Saitama’s trials to be recognised as a hero are only just beginning in earnest…

Story-wise, well, there’s not much going on. True, they did improve somewhat on the manga by including elements seen in the future of the manga now, like characters yet to appear, and the humour is still hit more than miss. Still, I find myself dissatisfied with it.

That being said, Max Mittelman as Saitama is absolutely perfect, and I find Zach Aguilar seems to be growing on me as Genos. Eric Scott Kimerer is brilliant as Sonic, giving the right mix of humour, seriousness, and sheer insanity needed for the character. Plus, Marieven Harington is very promising as the arrogant and somewhat bratty Tornado in an early appearance.

The production values, however, are top-notch. Madhouse went all out, with the spar between Genos and Saitama being a particular highlight of these episodes, as well as Saitama’s physical exam. And the idiosyncratic animation style also plays into the comedic moments.

Overall, these episodes, while a bit of disappointment due to the story (or lack thereof), are nonetheless entertaining enough.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There Episode 11: Visitor, and Episode 12: What Would Itami Do? by Tatsuhiko Urahata, from the light novel series by Takumi Yanai

DETAILS: GJSDF1.11-1.12, 2X25 minute episodes

Now, I have come to the halfway point of GATE. But will these two episodes be any good? Let’s find out…

It has been five months since the opening of the Gate, and Alnus Hill is not just the site of the JSDF military base, but now a small but thriving trading town. The Japanese are moving to try and negotiate peace between them and the Empire, while a mysterious visitor approaches Alnus. Yao Haa Dushi, a Dark Elf, has come to ask for the JSDF’s help in defeating a flame dragon, the very dragon they faced before…

As far as story is concerned, this one is a bit thin on the ground, setting stuff up for the future, as this was the end of the first half of the series. True, it lacks the actual jingoism that irritated me in previous episodes, and there’s some good signs of things to come, but it was actually a little disappointing. Then again, considering that it was only two episodes, this shouldn’t be surprising.

Character-wise, well, we don’t get much actual development. That being said, David Wald as Itami and Molly Searcy as Rory get some interesting moments. We also have the introduction of Yao Haa Dushi, who is given a decent performance by Rachel Landon, as well as hints of a future development of Bunny Warrior Delilah.

Production values are, as always, pretty good. True, there aren’t many actual action scenes in this, to some mild detriment, but the animation is pretty spot-on. Everything works out, really.

Overall, ironically for a pair of episodes without any irritating jingoism, they were rather disappointing. Still, the next episodes are sure to ramp things up…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: One Punch Man Episode 7: The Ultimate Disciple, Episode 8: The Deep Sea King, and Episode 9: Unyielding Justice by Tomohiro Suzuki, from the webcomic by One

DETAILS: OPM1.7-1.9, 3X25 minute episodes

So, here I am with the next few episodes of One Punch Man. But would these episodes bet any better than what has gone before? Well, let’s find out…

Called out to destroy a meteorite, Genos encounters the ancient but skilled martial artist Bang. But when Saitama destroys the meteorite when nobody else could, Tiger Tank-Top and his brother try to stir up a mob against him. Saitama manages to get out of that easily, but when the Deep Sea King and his minions show up, Saitama’s actions, and those of the other heroes, could cause a whole mess of trouble…

Story-wise, there’s actually quite a lot going for it. A lot is made of the themes of what it’s like to be a hero, as well as a mob mentality towards heroes when the public think that they’re not doing their job. This is actually the strongest lot of episodes yet, and while the plot is still thin and the comedy is sometimes miss rather than hit, it still works.

Max Mittelman as Saitama gets quite a few good bits, with Saitama showing himself to be surprisingly selfless, despite his professing to be a hero for fun, and there’s some good bits from Zach Aguilar as Genos as well. John DeMita as Bang is rather promising, and I have to say, Robbie Daymond really gives it his all as Mumen Rider, who gets some really good scenes in this. I have a bit more mixed feelings for Keith Silverstein as the Deep Sea King, but he ultimately pulls through.

As usual, Madhouse’s production values are through the roof. The extended fight against the Deep Sea King was an excellent one, and there’s plenty of spectacular animation. Overall, it works out pretty well.

Overall, these episodes of One Punch Man are the best so far. Here’s hoping that the final three episodes are as good, if not better…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There Episode 13: The Banquet Begins, Episode 14: The Imperial Capital Quake, and Episode 15: Tuka Luna Marceau by Tatsuhiko Urahata, from the light novel series by Takumi Yanai

DETAILS: GJSDF1.13-1.15, 3X25 minute episodes

So, I’m starting on the second half of GATE. But with things entering an even darker phase than before, would it still hold up? Or would it sink into the mire?

While the Japanese are trying to negotiate peaceful terms with the Empire, problems have arisen that complicate matters. Prince Zorzal is not only determined to destroy the peace process actively, but when he shows off Japanese slaves, it causes negotiations to stall. Meanwhile, Zorzal’s main slave, Tyuule, former Queen of the Bunny Warriors, plots to disrupt the process herself for her own ends. And Tuka’s mental state, already precarious, gains one last push into madness when Yao, determined to get help for her people one way or another, coldly tells Tuka the truth…

The story is picking up a little, though I think some parts of the story were put in purely to cause conflict, with little thought put in. And some parts are rather grimdark in a bit of an amateurish way, with a rather gratuitous rape scene in the 13th episode that seems a little unnecessary, and what happens in episode 14, while understandable under the circumstances, should have had more dire consequences. Still, other elements worked well, and the story overall, while some bits were gratuitous or annoying, was enjoyable.

David Wald as Itami does well as usual. That being said, I’m not sure I liked the way Tuka’s character was handled. I don’t think you’d become quite that delusional. And Yao frankly acted rather nastily, even if her motives were sympathetic. Zorzal seems more like a plot device designed to cause conflict than a character, though I’d imagine Kregg Dailey had a fun time hamming it up, while Maggie Flecknoe portrays Tyuule’s two-faced nature very well.

Once more, the production values are top notch. Seriously, I don’t think there’s anything further I can say about this series that I haven’t already. So I’ll just leave it at that.

Overall, despite some rather nasty character turns and some disconcerting and discordant elements, these three episodes of GATE were still quite enjoyable.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: Berserk Episode 20: Sparks, Episode 21: Confession and Episode 22: Infiltration by Yasuhiro Imagawa, from the manga series by Kentaro Miura

DETAILS: B971.20-1.22, 3X25 minute episodes

So, at last, I’ve gone back to watch the next few episodes of Berserk. We’re heading for the home stretch now. Time will tell how things turn out…

A year has passed since Guts left the Band of the Hawk, and he has been spending that time living with master blacksmith Godo, while training himself to reach even greater heights. But when he learns that the Band of the Hawk have been declared outlaws in his absence thanks to Griffith’s dalliance with the princess, Guts comes to their aid. Saving them, he finds himself confronted by Casca with a surprising revelation. Meanwhile, Griffith, having undergone a year of torture, finds himself having disturbing visions…

The story at this point is most certainly heating up. We’ve got the hints of the climax, as well some surprising revelations and themes. Not to mention some tender moments and some sinister ones as well.

Marc Diraison as Guts and Carrie Keranen as Casca certainly hold the show here, with their relationship taking an interesting turn for these episodes. We also get Guts developing more, with the first episode of this arc showing his thoughts. And then, there’s the monologue of the tortured Griffith, showing his contradictory but strong feelings after being tortured.

Once more, the production values are rather low. There’s a lot of sloppy lipflap matching once more. There’s some pretty good battle scenes though, as well as the disturbing massacre of the Band of the Hawk by a group of Apostles.

Overall, this set of episodes of Berserk were good, and it sets things up for the end…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There Episode 16: The Fire Dragon, Once More, and Episode 17: Decisive Battle by Tatsuhiko Urahata, from the light novel series by Takumi Yanai

DETAILS: GJSDF1.16-1.17, 2X25 minute episodes

So, here we are again for more episodes of GATE. But how would these episodes fare? Let’s find out…

Itami has gone AWOL to fight the Flame Dragon and put Tuka’s demons to rest once more. The rest of the JSDF scrambles to find a way to back him up, but there’s more trouble ahead. Someone has ordered Delilah, the Bunny Warrior acting as a spy for the Formal line, to assassinate Noriko. Things are coming to a boil, and maybe not everyone will be coming out of it alive.

I’m not sure I like the greed the Japanese side has towards the oil reserves in this set of episodes. Nonetheless, it does have a satisfactory end to both the Flame Dragon story arc, as well as Tuka’s own arc. And the assassination attempt offers a bit more insight into the pasts of Delilah and Tyuule.

As usual, I enjoy David Wald as Itami, and while I think Tuka’s story arc has been mismanaged somewhat, Juliet Simmons gives it her all. So too does Brittney Karbowski as Lelei and Molly Searcy as Rory. There’s also a very good story arc for Delilah, even if it’s a somewhat short one, and her voice actress does well in changing to a confident assassin, albeit one who is reluctant to carry out her mission.

Production values are, as always, very good. The battle against the Flame Dragon, as well as the subsequent battle against other foes, is done pretty well. So too is the brief battle between Delilah and Yanagida.

Overall, these episodes of GATE, while not brilliant, were nonetheless very enjoyable. Brief, but just the right kind of brief…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: Berserk Episode 23: Eve of the Feast, Episode 24: The Eclipse and Episode 25: Time of Eternity by Yasuhiro Imagawa, from the manga series by Kentaro Miura

DETAILS: B971.23-1.25, 3X25 minute episodes

At long last, I am up to the final three episodes of the first adaptation of Berserk. But would the end be satisfying? Well, let’s find out…

Escaping with Griffith, the remnants of the Band of the Hawk are wondering what to do next. However, Griffith, tormented by his pathetic state and influenced by hallucinations or something else, stumbles across his Behelit. An Eclipse darkens the world, and the Behelit activates, bringing Griffith and the Band of the Hawk into a hellish otherworld, one where the demonic Apostles have gathered, and the four members of the Godhand, grotesque emissaries of a higher power. And the Godhand wish to make Griffith into one of their number, in exchange for Griffith sacrificing the remaining members of the Band of the Hawk. Will Griffith agree to their Faustian pact? Has his fate been predestined from the beginning? And can Guts, Casca and the rest of the Band of the Hawk make it out alive?

This is actually quite a horrific set of episodes, and certainly won’t be for everyone, especially those with an aversion to horrific violence. What’s more, the ending to the series is ridiculously unsatisfying, given that it cuts off with Guts and Casca mid-peril, with no explanation as to how Guts came to survive to become the brutal warrior from the first episode. That being said, the rest of the story is bloody excellent, tying together many of the disparate threads already present, and it’s filled with tension from beginning to end.

The character arcs come full circle. Kevin T Collins steals the show as Griffith, as he comes to terms with the cost of his dream, his revulsion at his current state, and his decision to sacrifice his former comrades to gain power. Marc Diraison as Guts and Carrie Keranen as Casca also get a lot of good moments, and Christopher Kromer goes out with style in Judeau’s last moments.

The production values are ramped up quite a bit for these last episodes. The lip-flaps matching is less problematic than previous episodes, thankfully, and the animation of the Eclipse sequences is suitably horrific and surreal. Despite the still low budget animation, it manages to convey the horrific finale pretty well.

While shamefully incomplete in a vital way, and rather horrific stuff, these last episodes of Berserk were nonetheless a good ending to the series. Just don’t watch it if you’re queasy or hate gore…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: One Punch Man Episode 10: Unparalleled Peril, Episode 11: The Dominator of the Universe, and Episode 12: The Strongest Hero by Tomohiro Suzuki, from the webcomic by One

DETAILS: OPM1.10-1.12, 3X25 minute episodes

So, finally, we come to the season finale of One Punch Man. It’s pretty apposite, given the recent release of the teaser trailer for the second season. So, let’s find out how it goes…

Esteemed fortuneteller Madame Shibabawa has died, but not before leaving one last message: the Earth is in grave peril. Saitama tags along with Genos to a meeting of S-Rank Heroes, only to get caught up in an attack on Earth by the Dark Matter space pirates. While the various Heroes try to save people and stop the invaders, Saitama boards the space pirates’ ship alone. But their leader, Boros, is a ridiculously strong entity, and perhaps Saitama had met his match…

Whoo! What a great ending to the series, and one that showed that, despite the various heroes’ bickering and backbiting, most will band together to help others. There’s also some ominous foreshadowing involving a number of characters, like Metal Knight, and Garou.

Max Mittelman is a delight as Saitama, as always, while we have some more of Will Barret as Bang and Marieve Herington as Tornado. Of the relative newcomers, I have to say I enjoyed Kyle Hebert as the arrogant but skilled Atomic Samurai. And there is, of course, Chris Jai Alex as Boros.

The production values are, as always, pretty top notch. The various battles are spectacular, especially Saitama and Boros’ final conflict. It was a major thrill from beginning to end, and a perfect capping point for the series.

Overall, the final episodes of One Punch Man were very enjoyable indeed. It’ll be a long time to wait for the next season, but I’m looking forward to it…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: Elfen Lied Episode 1: A Chance Encounter- Begegnung, Episode 2: Annihilation- Vernichtung, Episode 3: Deep Feelings- Im Innersten and Episode 4: Attack- Aufeinandertreffen by Takao Yoshioka, from the manga by Lynn Okamoto

DETAILS: EL1-4, 4X25 minute episodes

Perhaps one of the most infamously violent and horrific anime series of all time was Elfen Lied. This twisted tale of the darkness within humanity and a violent new species is something I’ve been both curious and yet cautious about watching. Still, now, I’ve decided to give it a go…

In a mysterious research facility based on an island off the Kamakura coast, Lucy, a young woman with pink hair and horns massacres her way towards an escape in a brutally murderous fashion, using psychokinetic powers. However, even her powers don’t save her from being injured by a gunshot wound to the head. Lucy washes up on a mainland beach, becoming docile and infantile when she is discovered by cousins Kohta and Yuka, who have just reunited after years apart. They bring Lucy, whom they dub ‘Nyu’ for the noise she makes instead of speaking, home. However, Lucy may cause a rift between Kohta and Yuka so soon after they’ve been reunited. And what’s more, those behind the research facility are determined to recapture or kill Lucy, as the fate of humanity is at stake…

Let’s be perfectly blunt here: I knew that Elfen Lied was not for the faint of heart long before I watched it, and I was proven right. The violence and disturbing imagery on display is certainly not for everyone, and it’s a pretty bleak and brutal series from the get-go. Hell, the first third of the opening episode alone has more gore and nudity than you’d really expect even from some other dark anime series. Still, much of it is already intriguing, and showing hints of a bigger game at play.

The voice acting is…well, fairly average, and I already have mixed feelings about the character of Yuka. That being said, Kira Vincent-Davies is actually quite good as Lucy and her alternate personality Nyu, though it takes until the fourth episode before we hear her as Lucy. Seriously, I’m surprised that this is the same voice actress who played Osaka in Azumanga Daioh. And the character of Nana is actually one of the more endearing, and her fate at the end of the fourth episode is actually surprisingly tearjerking.

Old anime doesn’t age well, sadly. True, the animation isn’t actually bad for the most part, but after being spoiled by better anime, it feels a little staid. And I noticed that the sound effects were very generic for the most part. That being said, some of the imagery on display, when it isn’t being as disturbing as hell, is actually quite striking. Not only that, but the CGI effects of the vectors, while a bit cheesy by modern standards, nonetheless manage to work well more often than not.

Elfen Lied is not for the faint of heart, and the sheer brutal and somewhat gratuitous violence and disturbing themes will turn off many people, and rightly so. Still, these first four episodes do have some promise, for those who have the stomach to continue.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: Doctor Who: The Girl Who Died by Jamie Mathieson and Steven Moffat

DETAILS: Serial 9.5, 1X45 minute episode

It’s past time I tried nibbling away at my irritating backlog of Doctor Who stories. I decided to watch this one part story from the ninth series, one that would have a major impact on the remainder of that series, as well as bringing in Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams. But would The Girl Who Died be just an example of gimmick casting?

Recovering from a particularly perilous adventure in the 9th Century, the Doctor and Clara find themselves taken prisoner by Vikings and taken back to their village. The Doctor’s attempt to get them to free them by pretending to be Odin backfires when Odin himself appears in the skies, claiming to bring the best warriors in the village to Valhalla. But as Clara and a Viking girl called Ashildr find out, Odin is actually the leader of a raiding party of aliens called the Mire, who came to harvest their strongest warriors for the hormones within them. Unfortunately, Ashildr’s angered declarations lead the Mire to decide to face the remaining Vikings. The Doctor doesn’t know how to help them fight, and he doesn’t have a plan. But even if he does figure something out, the price they pay may be too great…

The villains of the piece, the Mire, are frankly rather boring, but the rest of the story is a delight. We have the Doctor torn between helping them, with a callback as to why his face resembles that of Caecilius from The Fires of Pompeii. It’s a nice, and almost entirely neat story with the right mix of comedy, horror and tragedy.

Peter Capaldi goes through some brilliant sequences in this story, including the aforementioned epiphany about his appearance, while Jenna Coleman as Clara does well. David Schofield is wonderfully hammy as ‘Odin’, and Ian Conningham as Einarr is also good. But the star of the show is, of course, Maisie Williams. While not quite on a par with Game of Thrones, she does very well indeed, with the best being the final shot of the episode, where she conveys through facial expressions Ashildr’s changing psyche.

Production values wise, well…I have to say this is where the story falls down a little. The physical costumes of the Mire and Odin are impressive, and the scenes around the village are good. Unfortunately, the CGI, sadly, is somewhat dodgy, breaking the immersion, particularly with the serpent at the end, though the final shot helps make up for it.

Marred a little by generic ‘ultimate warrior’ villains and dodgy CGI, The Girl Who Died was still an enjoyable romp.

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
REVIEW: Elfen Lied Episode 5: Receipt- Empfang, and Episode 6: Innermost Feelings- Herzenswärme by Takao Yoshioka, from the manga by Lynn Okamoto

DETAILS: EL5-6, 2X25 minute episodes

The first four episodes of Elfen Lied had an intriguing story buried under rather gratuitous violence and nudity. So, I decided to go forth with the next couple of episodes. Would they be an improvement?

Mayu’s disturbing past is revealed as she struggles to adjust to life with Kohta, Yuka, and Nyu. But even as that is resolves, another threat arises when Kohta and Yuka head to university, Nyu in tow. For the lecturer, Professor Kakuzawa, recognises Nyu, claiming her to be a relative of his, Lucy. But in truth, he has his own plans for her, plans that Lucy will reject violently. And Kohta begins struggling with his own psyche, with revelations that threaten to overwhelm his sanity…

Once more, the story seems to be rather overly gratuitous when it comes to dark themes. What happens to Mayu is rendered rather too explicitly for my liking, showing almost everything but the act, and I feel that was unnecessary. Still, aside from that, the story does seem to be finding its feet more, with some wonderfully emotional scenes, as well as some of the first substantial dialogue with Lucy and Kohta. It certainly helps make up for what was in the original few episodes, and there’s the first real hints of a greater conspiracy, beyond an inhumane research facility, as well as Kohta’s memory problems proving to be a plot point.

As always, the star of the show is Kira Vincent-Davies as Lucy and her alternate personality Nyu. It’s startling how different the two are, and we get some very substantial dialogue from Lucy. Another is Cynthia Martinez as Mayu, whose rendition of the character as she goes through hell is heartbreaking.

As stated before, old anime doesn’t age well. True, the direction and art choices are actually fairly good for the most part. But there’s still a sense of, well, that they could have done better, or else implied rather than shown outright.

Still, these episodes of Elfen Lied mark an improvement. They’re definitely not for the faint of heart or the easily disgusted given the violence or very dark themes, but maybe persistence will bring its own reward…

***½

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter