The Quatermass Perpetual Book-Reading Blog...Part 2

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 20

My Hero Academia volume 7: Katsuki Bakugo: Origin, by Kohei Horikoshi.

So, here I am once more, reading My Hero Academia. But how would I enjoy this latest volume? Let’s find out…

The fight against Stain draws to a close with the vicious Hero Killer captured. But his ideals and beliefs have become widely known, and already, there are villains in the shadows gathering around his ideology, and the League of Villains may just be ready to take these malfeasants in. Because of this, All Might, on prompting from Gran Torino, reveals the origins of One for All, and the link they have to the vicious villain All for One, who may yet still be alive. All of which means Izuku has to step up his game. But Bakugo has noticed this, and Izuku’s rival finds himself champing at the bit to prove himself, even at the expense of anyone in his way…

This volume feels like a transition between arcs, really, and the story does somewhat suffer for it. It’s not that substantial, feeling like filler. And I feel that giving Bakugo any real humanity at this point, to say nothing of an epiphany, is too little, too late at this point, to say nothing of the sheer stupidity of the faculty of UA having Izuku and Bakugo team up for their exam.

However, what is there is still pretty damn good. Stain’s final stand is great, as are the consequences thereof for both heroes and villains, and we finally have an insight into not only One for All’s origins, but also the villain who, albeit inadvertently, created it, All for One. And, of course, it’s VERY satisfying to see Izuku haul off and punch Bakugo in the face, something that sod has had a long time coming.

Overall, this volume of My Hero Academia was an enjoyable one. I hope the next volume will continue to be as good as the prior ones…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 21

Re: Zero- Starting Life in Another World volume 1 by Tappei Nagatsuki.

Yet another isekai light novel is my latest book to be reviewed. But I had heard of the novel premise, one rarely used in fiction (with Terry Pratchett’s own Thief of Time, as well as the game Undertale examining the concept in a meta way), of the protagonist having the ability to go back in time when he dies, like a save point. But how would it do?

Subaru Natsuki is a bit of a shut-in, and yet, after being sent to get some groceries, he ends up stranded in another world, one that seems straight out of a fantasy RPG. There, he encounters a girl who calls herself Satella, searching for something stolen from her by a thief. But when they catch up with her stolen item, they are murdered, along with the thief and her guardian. Then, Subaru wakes up shortly after he arrived in this world. He now has the ability to go back in time when he dies…but that’s not necessarily a good thing, for even as he resolves to help Satella get her valuable item back, he finds himself in the crosshairs of a sadistic killer…

Let’s get the bad stuff out of the way. There’s very little actual plot, and in fact, what there is seems to be setting stuff up for later volumes, an aggravating tendency for both manga and light novels. In addition, most of the characters, while not particularly bad, aren’t really outstanding by any means, and Satella, or rather, Emilia, is not as likeable as I thought she should be, at least not until the end, while Elsa is a rather generic psychopath with a thing for fondling people’s entrails.

That being said, the story’s concept is a relatively novel one. In addition, it’s got its own charm and is enjoyable for what it is. It has a lot of potential that I wish was shown in this novel rather than not being set up for future volumes.

Overall, the first volume of Re: Zero was an enjoyable one, but lacking in any real substance. It’s main note is the central gimmick of a save point, so to speak, and I wish there was more to it…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 22

Tokyo Ghoul: re volume 5, by Sui Ishida.

So, here I am, continuing with Tokyo Ghoul: re. But would I enjoy this next volume of the series? Let’s find out…

Shu Tsukiyama’s obsession with Ken Kaneki’s and his new life as Haise Sasaki may yet bring down his family as the CCG begins to target the Tsukiyamas and their associates. While Haise begins learning more about his past, much to his dismay, Eto has captured Shu’s faithful servant Kanae and is brainwashing Kanae. All of which culminates in a vicious battle in which not everyone will survive, Ghoul or Dove…

Okay, so, while the plot seems to be moving again, the last third of the volume seems to be just a single running battle. In addition, many of the Doves we’re supposed to be giving a damn about, well, I don’t. Same goes for a few Tsukiyama-affiliated Ghouls.

But these are relatively minor quibbles that hold this volume shy of perfection. The psychodrama involving Haise as he uncovers more about his past, as well as Kanae succumbing to Eto’s manipulations and torture, and revelations about her past. In addition, the sudden advent of Kijima’s assistant Furuta seems ominous, especially given his actions and his prior obscurity.

Overall, this volume of Tokyo Ghoul: re was a very enjoyable one, and I want to continue the series…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 23

Overlord volume 11: The Dwarven Crafters, by Kugane Maruyama.

After the disappointment of the tenth volume of Overlord, I had to wonder whether this isekai series still had any legs. That being said, I did decide to approach the eleventh volume with the hope that it would continue the usually high standards of the series. But would my hopes be fulfilled, or dashed?

His curiosity aroused by the dwarves and their rune crafters, Ainz Ooal Gown makes a journey to the dwarves’ home lands in the mountains. However, he stumbles across a bitter war between the dwarves and their rivals, the mole-like kuagoa. Gaining the help of young rune crafter Gondo Firebeard, Ainz strikes a deal with the dwarves: he will help them repel the kuagoa in exchange for any knowledge on runes they can give him. But the kuagoa are backed by something perhaps even Ainz Ooal Gown should fear…

Okay, let’s face it, the plot of this particular volume isn’t that much. By now, we’ve retrodden the formula of Ainz pretty much curbstomping any enemy he comes across, and I’d prefer to have him face an actual challenge. Plus, after subverting a number of fantasy clichés, Maruyama goes to dwarves, and the plot, if one squints, is reminiscent of The Hobbit, where a dragon steals the treasures of dwarves. Not to mention the book ending on one hell of a cliffhanger.

However, these are relatively minor quibbles. The plot, while lightweight, is decent enough, and the characters both old and new do well. I like how Shalltear was given a chance to redeem herself for the events of the third book, and the nerdy dragon Hejinmaar, while he appears only briefly, is still enjoyable.

Overall, this volume of Overlord was a return to form, and then some. One wonders what the future volumes will bring…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 24

Tokyo Ghoul: re volume 6, by Sui Ishida.

I really have nothing to say as a pithy preamble to this next volume of Tokyo Ghoul: re. I’ve enjoyed this series so far. Let’s just hope it continues to do so…

The battles at the Luna Eclipse buildings come to a head, when Haise, on the verge of being defeated by Eto and a deranged Karren von Rosenwald, willingly allows Ken Kaneki to take the reins from him for good. But Kaneki has become even more coldhearted, seemingly uncaring about his former allies in either the CCG or Ghoul society. After the dust has settled, he leaves the Quinx Squad, and having regained his memories, begins to target Eto, through her identity as the writer Sen Takatsuki…

I have to admit, for such a turning point of a volume, it was something of a disappointment. This is mostly from how a newly-reawakened Kaneki seems to treat his allies on both sides of the story, and while it is possible that he is putting on a façade, it’s still disconcerting. Plus, some elements of the story, including the new Quinx agents, don’t really do it for me.

That being said, it still gets a lot right. Kaneki dealing with both Karren and Eto in short order, along with the former’s end and the exploration of the latter’s past being done well. Indeed, we have at least one shocking revelation about Eto, as well as Eto being cornered by the CCG, only for her to do something very unexpected that seems to be a gamechanger.

Overall, this volume of Tokyo Ghoul: re was a good one, but a little bit of a comedown. Here’s hoping the next ones are somewhat better…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 25

Dangerous Days in Ancient Egypt, by Terry Deary.

Once more, I come to one of Terry Deary’s irreverent history books for older readers. But the quality of the Dangerous Days series can be variable at times. Would this one be better than the norm?

Dangerous Days in Ancient Egypt takes a look at the history of that famous land. From the first pharaohs all the way to the end of the Ptolemaic Dynasty, this book examines those very dangerous days. Not only that, but it looks at the sometimes rather dodgy early archaeologists who also fuelled Egyptmania, but also lined their own pockets…

I have to say, compared to the previous volumes, this one was disappointing. Deary seems to cram in as many of the pharaohs as possible, and thus causing this book to lack substance, feeling more like a trivia book than even an entertaining history book. This, combined with the usual tone that prioritises irreverence ahead of everything else, doesn’t help matters.

This isn’t to say the book is bad at all. Certainly it presents some interesting facts, and is enjoyable to read. It just feels lesser than the previous works, and to be fair to it, it does shed a light on many pharaohs who wouldn’t be known to many people, as well as some interesting Egyptian texts.

Overall, this book, while interesting and good, lacked substance, and certainly fell below the norm for the Dangerous Days books. A shame…

***½

User Menu

Newsletter