The School for Good and Evil

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Clem Peppermint

Lance-Constable
Jun 11, 2024
Australia
The School for Good and Evil book is one of my favourites, it was a great story and one of my most reread! I hate to sound clichéd, but I really do feel like the book was better. Although they did a great job at portraying the kingdom and characters, I don't feel like the set design or plot really compared to the complexity of the book.

However, as is the same with any fictional tale, the image that's pictured in your mind is often radically different from person to person, so this might be an opinion of one :)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Films can't easily render the complexity of a good novel. I think the ratio is one page of text per minute of film, which makes the average film the equivalent of a 90-page short story. A TV miniseries can do more - four hours is about 240 pages, a short novel. A six hour series gets it up to 360 pages, a respectable book without much fluff. Any longer and you are venturing into TV-Season territory.

Then there are the problems of portraying the characters' inner lives - thoughts and opinions, old memories etc. Books are a more forgiving medium.

Clem Peppermint

Lance-Constable
Jun 11, 2024
Australia
Films can't easily render the complexity of a good novel. I think the ratio is one page of text per minute of film, which makes the average film the equivalent of a 90-page short story. A TV miniseries can do more - four hours is about 240 pages, a short novel. A six hour series gets it up to 360 pages, a respectable book without much fluff. Any longer and you are venturing into TV-Season territory.

Then there are the problems of portraying the characters' inner lives - thoughts and opinions, old memories etc. Books are a more forgiving medium.
My thoughts exactly! Those figures are really interesting, I never knew :) Thanks!

User Menu

Newsletter