SPOILERS The Shepherd's Crown WARNING **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I remember seeing that when the book came out. I for one am glad that this blatantly sentimental ending wasn't included in the book. It was much better the way it in in the finished product, where Granny's presence in You is implied, but never spelled out.

septitchy

Nov 15, 2016
Hello everyone,

I have a question while reading this book. In Chapter 1, when Geoffery was taking care of the weak baby goat, there was a sentence:
"He is such a small thing, Geoffrey thought, looking into the kid’s letterbox eyes. I must give him a chance."
I don't quite understand what "letterbox eyes" means here. I'm guessing it might refer to the rectangular shape of a goat's pupil, but I'm not sure, and google didn't really help, either. It would be great if anyone could explain it.

Thanks in advance.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
septitchy said:
Hello everyone,

I have a question while reading this book. In Chapter 1, when Geoffery was taking care of the weak baby goat, there was a sentence:
"He is such a small thing, Geoffrey thought, looking into the kid’s letterbox eyes. I must give him a chance."
I don't quite understand what "letterbox eyes" means here. I'm guessing it might refer to the rectangular shape of a goat's pupil, but I'm not sure, and google didn't really help, either. It would be great if anyone could explain it.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the site! Yes, I think you've got it right about the goat's pupils.

septitchy

Nov 15, 2016
Tonyblack said:
septitchy said:
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the site! Yes, I think you've got it right about the goat's pupils.
Thanks a lot, Tony, for confirming my guess :)

septitchy

Nov 15, 2016
Hello my fellow readers,
I'm not sure about something I came across while reading The Shepherd's Crown, so I'm hoping to hear the opinion of the English native speakers (or just anyone who understands it better than mine ;) ) It is a trivial question and doesn't stop people from enjoying reading this book whatsoever, but it's really important for me to understand it thoroughly since I'm currently translating the book. So, thanks in advance for your help!

In Chapter 11, when Tiffany took Geoffrey to buy/mend his broomstick, the dwarf examined the stick and said "I could take the shell off. Perhaps a new staff?" also when they went to pick up the broomstick, it says "It was almost Granny Weatherwax’s old stick, if you discounted the new shell for the staff and new bristles."
I'm guessing the shell and the staff refer to the same thing which is the stick, but it seems unnecessary to me to use two different words for a simple object like this. Can anybody explain this to me? o_O:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've looked at that particular part and I'm not at all sure I know what they mean by the "shell". The broomstick is basically the staff and the bristles, presumably with some sort of binding to keep the bristles on the staff. Maybe that binding is what is meant by the shell. I certainly hadn't noticed that on previous reads, so well spotted!.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I don't remember that part, either. Looking over it, I think that whole bit is supposed to be a riff on auto mechanics in general or maybe auto body shops or those specializing in rebuilding antique cars. The kind who say "For your 1933 Model T For we'll just replace the motor, all the parts, and the body and with a fresh coat of paint it'll be just like it was when it was new."

I also think it may be a reference to the concept of preserving the essence of the original that Rhys explained in The Fifth Elephant, when he's discussing that even though he's replaced the blade and the hilt of his family's thousand year old axe, it's still, at its core, his family's axe.

In either case, it's a pretty weak joke

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I wish I could quote Tony's post, so I'll just write:

Tony said: "This idea of replacing all the parts of something and wondering if it is still the same thing actually seems to by a paradox mentioned by the Ancient Greeks in a thought experiment known as The Ship of Theseus, "
===========================
Define "same". :) Heraclitus's ship, 500 years after Theseus, may be made from different timbers, different ropes and different sails, but in spirit it may still be the Ship of Theseus.

This is like the "my grandfather's axe" argument in "The Fifth Element - er, Elephant". ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I wish I could quote Tony's post, so I'll just write:

Tony said: "This idea of replacing all the parts of something and wondering if it is still the same thing actually seems to by a paradox mentioned by the Ancient Greeks in a thought experiment known as The Ship of Theseus, "
===========================
Define "same". :) Heraclitus's ship, 500 years after Theseus, may be made from different timbers, different ropes and different sails, but in spirit it may still be the Ship of Theseus.

This is like the "my grandfather's axe" argument in "The Fifth Element - er, Elephant". ;)
Exactly!

BTW -f you want to quote someone's post, just click the "Reply" icon at the bottom right of their post.

User Menu

Newsletter