The soloist

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Has anyone seen The Soloist yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Spu2nO0jw

I've just seen it yesterday, and I was shocked. Not only is it a great movie (I think Jamie Foxx does great here), but It's also a true story. So true that the people who it is about (Nathaniel Ayers and Steve Lopez) are still alive and well, and even assisted by the making of the movie.

The story is about a journalist (Steve Lopez - Robert Downey Jr.) who's looking for a good story, and finds a homeless guy, who is playing violin with only two strings and it turns out that the guy (Nathaniel Ayers - Jamie Foxx) was a Juiliard student, but quitted, because he suffers of scizofrenia.

It's not a happy-ending story (don't like the pink-clowd-hollywood-mass-movies), but it's real... it gives you a good view of the life of 90 000 :cool: homeless people living in L.A.

It's one of the best movies I've seen... well, lately...

All I wanted to say is: I liked it very much, so when you have the opportunity to watch it, it's worth it, really!

Ps: you can find a lot of video's concerning Natheniel on youtube, just type his name... if you're interested...

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
We watched it last night as well as the special features which included the making of and interviews with the people the movie was about. It was really fascinating and very well done.

The Slow Movement of Beethoven's 9th at the end had me in tears - it's a beautiful piece if it's done well. I was impressed to learn that most of the extras were actually real homeless people.

Well worth checking out! :laugh:

Jun 17, 2010
Joe Wright is one of the best directors in the film business right now. Whether considering his highly-acclaimed 21st Century adaptation of Pride And Prejudice (the best directorial feature film debut since John Huston's The Maltese Falcon in 1941 if you ask me) or the multi-Oscar-nominated war/romance epic Atonement, Wright's work really stands out in today's Hollywood. Wright works on a smaller scale for his third film, The Soloist, but achieves the same level of brilliance that his first two films have.

jaquestyras said:
Joe Wright is one of the best directors in the film business right now. Whether considering his highly-acclaimed 21st Century adaptation of Pride And Prejudice (the best directorial feature film debut since John Huston's The Maltese Falcon in 1941 if you ask me) or the multi-Oscar-nominated war/romance epic Atonement, Wright's work really stands out in today's Hollywood. Wright works on a smaller scale for his third film, The Soloist, but achieves the same level of brilliance that his first two films have.

I totally agree, jaquestyras! :laugh: Welcome, by the way! ;)

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
If you liked The Soloist (which I also think was spectacular and worth watching more than once), you might see if you can find Music of the Heart.

This movie is also based on a true story about a single mother teaching children in Spanish Harlem (not the most wonderful area of New York) to play the violin. The movie stars Meryl Streep, who learned to play the violin well enough to play in the final scene at Carneige Hall (Concerto in D Minor for Two Violins) with Pearlman and Stern, and many others students and professionals.

The DVD we got included the DVD of the documentary Small Wonders wihich also won awards.

This is an inspiring story that brings a lump to the throat--either version --the movie or the documentary.

User Menu

Newsletter