The villainous nanny ogg & co

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Sep 22, 2010
Greetings All,

Apologies for the join and immediate post - a friend and I were discussing the books, and the subject of whether the three witches can be considered in any way villainous came up.?

I reckon not - he reckon's well hey, they're witches...

Any opinions from y'all?

-J

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site, rocketjohn! :laugh: No need to apologise for posting here.

Discworld witches are basically district nurses, healers, home-helps and dealers in justice. I wouldn't say they were villainous, but they certainly aren't always popular. And one or two of them have quite a high opinion of themselves (mentioning no names ;)).

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
I'd go even further than Tony--Discworld Witches are anything but villainous--although Granny, for example, worries about going to the bad. The are the Guardians of the Borders, the wise women, herbalists, "doctors" and judges of Lancre (primarily). They do occasionally go to other parts of Discworld, but they (like the wizards) are generally concentrated in the Ramtops where the concentration of magic is highest. Their magic is quite different from wizard magic--but it has little similarity to the conventional notion of witches.

Witches can be opinionated, selfish, short tempered, and perfectly willing to trade on their position (eg. Nanny Ogg and her children, and daughters-in-law). They are not necessarily fun company, but they are who you want when things go "pear-shaped".

And Welcome to the forum--I envy you the chance to get better acquainted with the Discworld Witches (and the odd but nice lot who post here).

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Hi rocketjohn :) I actually think that witches go out of their way to prevent each other from becoming villainous - no-one wants to go the way of Black Alice, stuck in her own oven by a couple of kids - so they look out for the early signs of cackling.

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
They do have a dark side to them but they keep it under control.....In the book Lords and Ladies we are given an insight of what they could be with the breaks taken off.... if they turn they could end up like the Evil Witch of fable. As yet they cant really be cast as evil but it could happen if they turn to the light side! Granny Weatherwax nearly did when She was bitten by a Vampire.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
As said, as "guardians of the edges," witches themselves aren't villainous.

That, however, doesn't prevent others from trying to blame them for villainy, as happens in "Wyrd Sisters," and, to a lesser degree, in "Carpe Jugulum."

J-I-B

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
And then there's Lily Weatherwax - although she's technically a fairy godmother who always makes sure the story happens regardless of how it effects the godchild... o_O She is not good at all! ;)

They're not all 'good' in the traditional manner in the same way that they're mostly not bad. I'd say Mrs Earwig's also a pretty lousy witch in all kinds of ways - certainly as a mentor/tutor.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Jan Van Quirm said:
And then there's Lily Weatherwax - although she's technically a fairy godmother who always makes sure the story happens regardless of how it effects the godchild... o_O She is not good at all! ;)
Oddly enough though, Lilith 'thinks' she is the good one and that what she's doing is for the best.

User Menu

Newsletter