The Watch update

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Some friends of mine sent me links about the Watch (because they know I'm a Pratchett fan) but I just want to forget about it!! The Spanish dubbing also hunts me on my TV platform (as it appears as a new featured series). Please send love and courage to help me resisit this torture! :roflmao:
*sends love and encouragement ... and cookies*

Just wondering: how much is the license? What is it for? We don't have TV licenses in Australia, so I don't know what they mean.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
*sends love and encouragement ... and cookies*

Just wondering: how much is the license? What is it for? We don't have TV licenses in Australia, so I don't know what they mean.
Rath in the UK if you want to watch live TV or even record one for later viewing you must have a license at a cost of £159 yearly, even on a commercial station, only on catch up TV it's Ok , Netflix, Prime as subscription also not required.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
£159 yearly??? :eek: You could buy a brand new TV for that, couldn't you?

Sounds like a rip-off. :( Then again, I've never paid a TV license ... I looked it up and they were abolished in 1974, before I was even born. :mrgreen:

What happens if a person is (relatively) poor, and can't afford a license?

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
£159 yearly??? :eek: You could buy a brand new TV for that, couldn't you?

Sounds like a rip-off. :( Then again, I've never paid a TV license ... I looked it up and they were abolished in 1974, before I was even born. :mrgreen:

What happens if a person is (relatively) poor, and can't afford a license?
They can be fined up to a £1,000 if convicted which might be the case for some 75's and over.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Sigh. I tried this again, and was told: "For rights reasons, you cannot stream programmes on BBC iPlayer outside the UK, even on holiday."

Ah, well. So, I tried watching the trailer instead ... less than 2 minutes. That was enough.

This is not Discworld. This has never been Discworld. And the fact that the people who produced this claim that it's Discworld, and claim that Captain Vimes et al. are their creation ... well. :mad:

Now I'm going down to the sports store to get a boxing bag. Not sure why. I'm just in the mood to punch something. :mad:

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I hate to admit this but I watched episode 1 last night and actually quite enjoyed it. The characters, sets, and storyline are so far removed from the original that I found it quite easy to forget that they were meant to be Discworld.

I have just watched the first episode on BBC i player. I thought it too steam punk for a Terry Pratchett series.
If you forget about the original books it's very loosely based on & treat it as just a Sci-Fi series, it could be OK. I shall reserve judgement till I watch The Watch some more, but, Good Omens it aint.
I think it's a typical American interpretation.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Well, I watched the second episode and just lost interest and I'm not fussed about watching the rest. To put this into some sort of context, I managed the first three episodes of 'The Three Musketeers' (coincidentally made by the same people with the same showrunner) and the first six of 'The Walking Dead' (a separate entity entirely and apparently popular).

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Feegled from DW Emporium forum.
The Watch* is now on BBC iPlayer, with no fanfare... :laugh::laugh:
Gee, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Well, I watched the second episode and just lost interest and I'm not fussed about watching the rest. To put this into some sort of context, I managed the first three episodes of 'The Three Musketeers' (coincidentally made by the same people with the same showrunner) and the first six of 'The Walking Dead' (a separate entity entirely and apparently popular).
What did you think, Penners?

User Menu

Newsletter