The Wheel Of Time

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

VesuvianRuin

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Sheffield, UK
The Wheel Of Time series of books by Robert Jordan.

This is an epic story revolving around several characters and how they evolve as people from their humble beginnings in a farming village in the back of beyond.

The three main protagonists are ta'veren, whose actions shape and mould the weave of the world. There are their companions and the mysterious Aes Sedai who use and manipulate the One Power, a source of magic, to benefit their ends. The Aes Sedai will not use the Power as a weapon and they always speak the truth. But the truth is not always what it seems to mean.

The fight is ultimately against the Dark One who was imprisoned by the Creator at the beginning of time. The Dark One does have agents out in the world - Shadowspawn, evil Aes Sedai and Darkfriends.

This is a compelling series of books and once I started the first book I haven't been able to stop. When I finished one book and realised I didn't have the next one I immediately went straight out and bought the next 3 so that it wouldn't happen again.

Intriguing and compelling - pick one up and you'll be hooked like me!

Witch from Lancre

Lance-Constable
Aug 4, 2008
West Yorkshire
I must admit to an aversion of buying books in a series when I am left desperately wanting to read the next one and having to wait ages before I can. I usually wait until the last book in the series has been published and then read the first one knowing that I'll be able to get the others if I really like it.

Nausica

Lance-Constable
I love this series. :laugh: The way the characters develop over time, the complexity of the story-lines, the odd little bits of philosophical theory that, to me at least, don't feel like usual fantasy stuff. My sister introduced me to this back in 1995 (around the same time I discovered Discworld, actually o_O ), and I've been hooked ever since.

Eagerly - but also sadly - awaiting the next installment. I hope the writing is up to standard!

Jan 2, 2009
I know this is very old, I have the series up to date, but an getting rather fed up with it now as it has gone on too long and frankly, I'm getting bored with it. He doesn't seem to have produced a book for a long time, and, as the main characters such as Moiraine and Lan are either killed off or sent away on side missions, the whole series is starting to drag.

At first I thought it would be a quadrilogy, then it continued and I believe it is currently at ten vilumes. I think the guy is seriously in danger of repeating himself and starting the ever-decreasing circle manoeouvre! ;)

Cheers, Vena

cols

Lance-Corporal
Nov 5, 2008
ireland
Vena Ravenhaired said:
I know this is very old, I have the series up to date, but an getting rather fed up with it now as it has gone on too long and frankly, I'm getting bored with it. He doesn't seem to have produced a book for a long time, and, as the main characters such as Moiraine and Lan are either killed off or sent away on side missions, the whole series is starting to drag.

At first I thought it would be a quadrilogy, then it continued and I believe it is currently at ten vilumes. I think the guy is seriously in danger of repeating himself and starting the ever-decreasing circle manoeouvre! ;)

Cheers, Vena
My hubby's been waiting for years for book 11 which is meant to be the final book. He says this makes no sense as he can't see Jordan rapping everything up in one book.. if he does it'll be a disappointing book .

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Just found this on another Wiki:

Wikipedia said:
Jordan had repeatedly said that the main sequence would conclude with the twelfth book, with a working title of A Memory of Light. Numerous times, including most recently at ComicCon 2006, he said he would hold to this statement even if it has to be 1500 pages long. Before his death Jordan had planned to write two more short prequel novels, an encyclopedia, and possibly two or three other side-plot novels. Aware that he might not live to complete the series, Jordan prepared notes so that the series could be finished the way he wanted it to be.

With Jordan's death on 16 September 2007, the conclusion of the series was in question. On 7 December of that year, the publisher, Tor Books, announced that fantasy author Brandon Sanderson would finish A Memory of Light, using notes, written chapters, and audio recordings of the story provided by Robert Jordan before his passing.

Sanderson has said on his website he has begun writing the final book in the series. He also stated that he wants to finish the series in the final book as planned, but later acknowledged that the book may be up to half again his originally-planned length, and publishing in one volume may not be practical.
Full article here.

User Menu

Newsletter