The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ogg

Lance-Corporal
Jan 23, 2009
Cornwall, UK
Am I the only one to think that this was a massive disappointment? Simply a few bits and pieces from each book for the supposed casual viewer and chosen by a blind Stephen Briggs...I honestly feel I could've done better selecting the passages.
Opinions are sought!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
:oops: I have a copy that Sharlene got me, but I haven't read it. As you say it's just a collection of bits and pieces. But it'll sit nicely unread in my collection - unless I decide to read it one day. :laugh:

Has anyone read the Discworld Companion? I've read it several times and always have it near to hand. It's getting really tatty now, but I have a first edition of it in hardback and a spare paperback that doesn't get read. ;)

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I got that book for Christmas, hardback, must admit I've not looked at it properly.

I have two copies of The Discworld Companion, hard 2003 & paper back 1994, again I am ashamed to say, I haven't looked at either yet. Got both from a car boot sale. :laugh:

Straw Walker

Lance-Corporal
Feb 6, 2009
Dover
www.g4mix.co.uk
Tonyblack said:
The Companions are really good for just reading and there's some great stuff in there - extra to what's in the books even. ;)
It is also an invaluable reference source when you've just ventured onto this site. I've read and enjoyed nearly all of Sir Terry's books but my memory for names and faces often fails me. o_O :)

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Hi Straw Walker, welcome to the forum. :)
I'm not good at remembering characters names either. I must read the Companion book, am reading Maskerade at present. For the second time. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tiffany said:
I'm not good at remembering characters names either. I must read the Companion book, am reading Maskerade at present. For the second time. :)
Interesting points about Maskerade. Walter Plinge wears a beret so does Frank Spencer. Michael Crawford who played Frank Spencer also played the Phantom in the original casting of Phantom of the Opera.

I went to see Phantom with a friend who hadn't read Maskerade. She warned me not to give away spoilers for the book. :laugh:

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Tonyblack said:
Tiffany said:
Interesting points about Maskerade. Walter Plinge wears a beret so does Frank Spencer. Michael Crawford who played Frank Spencer also played the Phantom in the original casting of Phantom of the Opera.

I went to see Phantom with a friend who hadn't read Maskerade. She warned me not to give away spoilers for the book. :laugh:
I saw Phantom as well in London. Have seen the film too. I am having a good laugh, over Greebo. Maskerade is now one of my favourte TP books. :)

Mar 8, 2009
Personally, I wasn't disappointed in Wit and Wisdom - my parents bought it for me just as I was leaving on holiday, and taking an armful of books wasn't really very practical :laugh:

Also, I haven't read every book in the series yet, so I quite enjoyed reading new passages. It's a shame it doesn't give an overview of the books as well though, so that you can really tell if you want to buy it.

Having already read most of the books... I was actually pretty happy with it. Twas like looking through another persons eyes at the books, and as he said in the Introduction

"In producing this book,I have not tried to extract every single gag and witty exchange from the series. Threre are too many, and to do that, I might just as well have tied a set of the novels up with a string and added a tag: "The Complete Wit of Pratchett."

james.a.vivian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 26, 2010
Sydney
As I am an extremely person to shop for (so I've been told), most people will buy me some sort of Pratchett item I received wit and wisdom for my B'day it's not a bad read for a short trip. The DW companion is a great book mine is always at hand it' bout 15 yrs old.

Dec 22, 2010
Reading/Peterborough
I enjoyed wit and wisdom...it's kind of a "toilet book" as it were...just there for picking up and flicking through for a minute, or reading in the bath or something. Although it did miss out some classics that I thought for sure should be there.

User Menu

Newsletter