This has nothing to do with Terry but.....

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

hgtodd

Dec 30, 2008
Bonny Scotland
:( Can anyone explain the film Donny Darko to me or just the jist of it would be fine. Have just watched it and would like to know what it was all about. I have a couple of theories but they are boring "anyone would think that" ones. yours hopefully Hx o_O

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Ok - first off I'd recommend you watch the movie again if possible as there's a lot going on.

Put your cursor on the box below and click three times to reveal spoilers for the movie. ;)

Tonyblack secretly said:
The story is basically that a boy with psychiatric problems reaches a point where his life takes a different path. It starts when he meet a horrifyingly costumed bunny named Frank. I think this is a reference to a very old movie called Harvey about a man how sees and talks to a giant invisible rabbit named Harvey.

The rabbit, Frank is something of a mystery but we learn that Frank is speaking to Donnie from the other end (sort of) a wormhole in time. Frank is also the boyfriend of Donnie's sister in his Halloween costume.

While Donnie is sleepwalking and meeting Frank for the first time an aircraft engine crashes through the roof of Donnie's house and crushes his bedroom. Significantly Donnie is saved by not being there. The engine is a mystery because the FAA have no idea where it came from.

It actually came from the future and in fact from an aircraft that Donnie's mom and sister will be on if the present continues in the way it is.

After a whole series of bizarre events Donnie discovers the way to time travel by using wormholes. What he actually does is bring a jet engine from the future to crush him to death in his bedroom. But at the same time he saves the lives of his girlfriend and his mom and sister.

This is a case of Donnie's life disappearing up the wrong leg of the trousers of time. :laugh:

Hope that helps. You might want to try Googling about the movie. It's a real cult classic and there's a whole batch of websites and articles about it online.

hgtodd

Dec 30, 2008
Bonny Scotland
Donnie Darko stuff

Sorry I didn't realise that there was a movie forum. I am new to this lark, bear with me. But thanks for the comments some were thoughts I had but the rest interesting. Hx
PS I see that TP is going to be on telly soon talking about living with alzheimer's. It is on BBC2.

User Menu

Newsletter