Tom Sharpe's books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

AndieKry

Lance-Constable
Jul 10, 2010
Emerald Isle
Hi all,
don't know. I like the books by Tom Sharpe - have all of them. The same as Terry's books - meaning I have all of them and I think they are the greatest.
Best regards,
meself.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Sharpe's a good author of black comedy who's 'disappeared' for a long time (apparently he's got another Wilt book coming out soon though :laugh: ). Some of his work's a little too sharp for me these days - The Throwback being particularly nauseating for me. Blott on the Landscape and Porthouse Blue I enjoyed a lot though

Wilt I love to bits although secretly I admire his dim but determined wife Eva and I even enjoyed the obscure film starring Griff Rhys Jones and Mel Smith (as Inspector Flint) and Alison Steadman as Eva as they were all spot on in their roles

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
If you had bothered to scroll down three pages of this forum, you would have easily have seen the thread I posted on Sharpe many months ago.

http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/forum/v ... php?t=1390

:)

Just kidding. I love Sharpe. Some of it is sadistic and tough going, but for pure laughs it's hard to beat. The "Wilt" series is my favorite as well, and I am looking forward to the next one coming out. Although I have to disagree on the Wilt movie, which I thought was one of the most slow-moving and tedious things I've ever seen (it probably was also cut to shreds here in the States).

J-I-B

AndieKry

Lance-Constable
Jul 10, 2010
Emerald Isle
Well, sorry. I am a newbie here. Although I have all books by Tom and he is great. Wasn't sure that the readers here look at others. (I was almost crucified when mentione d a different name in other forum.)
Now ny goal is to collect all books available by Terry (and read all them).
I need to build a library for my sons - the best of mankind classics.
Life is short and we don't have enough to be good fathers to give all our knowledge (mothers, forgive us).
Some experience comes from the books "our father left to us".
in any case, we live and this is our goal.
Sorry for being filosofffical - forgot how to spell it.
Life is great!
Meself.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Certainly is Andie :laugh:

Being able to laugh at life is a good thing and although this is a Terry site as you've seen we talk about other authors and series as well. Some very well-read people on here and it's always interesting to exchange notes with other people who share at least one passion/taste with you :laugh:

nickinwestwales

Lance-Constable
Jan 9, 2011
Have just finished the newest `Wilt`-verdict,a rather damning `Okay`-the basic plot structure is sound but it fails to rack up the tension in the same way that Blott ,Riotous Assembly and the like did-It reads like a second draft that got printed by mistake-likewise `The Gropes`,which smacks of laziness from start to finish,again the idea is there (but very derivative of earlier work) but he has settled for chuckles instead of the helpless bladder-loosening hysteria that made his name
ATB
Nick

User Menu

Newsletter