Top 10 Funniest Books According to the British

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Found this interesting enough list on Abe books and as with any such list its great fun to poke holes in it . Personally don't see how Good Omens isn't there but hey -

Top 10 Funniest Books According to AbeBooks.co.uk Customers
1. Right Ho, Jeeves by PG Wodehouse (1933)

2. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (1961)

3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (1979)
4. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome (1889)

5. Wilt by Tom Sharpe (1976)

6. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (1980)

7. Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis

8. The Code of the Woosters by PG Wodehouse (1938)

9. Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (1996)

10. Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall by Spike Milligan (1971)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Because aside from Hitchhiker's none of them are SF&F related (I don't know #6 at all so maybe there's 2 :laugh: ) and most of them have been on TV or had movies made of them...? ;)

Some of them are also 'classic' books that have been around a long time so people get very fond of them. Fantasy/sci-fi's an acquired taste after all and Terry's books are wonderful, but not everyone's got the mind to pick up on all the facets in his writing - some people can only handle what they know and don't have the imagination to see the fullness and intelligence in the satire. :p

It's too much like hard work for some people to fully appreciate Terry's world or his humour :laugh:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Also ABE books have such a broad spectrum of readers that not all collect or read SF or Fantasy humorous or otherwise, by the same token there are no Holt or Rankin either it seems to be all UK authors, although a couple are unknown to me and I can't be bothered to find out about them.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Who's Wee Dug said:
Also ABE books have such a broad spectrum of readers that not all collect or read SF or Fantasy humorous or otherwise, by the same token there are no Holt or Rankin either it seems to be all UK authors, although a couple are unknown to me and I can't be bothered to find out about them.
Well Heller and Toole are both Americans, I've read 8 of these. I'm missing A Confederacy of Dunces and Bridget Jones and whilst they are funny having 2 Wodehouse novels and Three Men in a Boat suggest a bias towards older English males taking part on the vote.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
It looks like my a-level English teacher wrote the list & threw in "something for the ladies". I wouldn't mind knowing who they polled.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Jan Van Quirm said:
Because aside from Hitchhiker's none of them are SF&F related (I don't know #6 at all so maybe there's 2 :laugh: )
"Confederacy of Dunces" is definitely NOT a SF book. It's an amazing comic novel about a totally gluttonous and slothful intellectual wannabe in New Orleans and his interactions with a set of southern lowlifes. The author, John Kennedy O'Toole, committed suicide before it was published. I thoroughly recommend it.

J-I-B

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
pip said:
Found this interesting enough list on Abe books and as with any such list its great fun to poke holes in it . Personally don't see how Good Omens isn't there but hey -

I've read all of these except for 9, 10 and 4. Not sure they are all THE funniest books, but most of them deserve to be on the some kind of best humor books. The one I quibble most with is "Lucky Jim." Frankly, I've ever quite discovered why this is considered to be such a comic classic. To me it isn't funny at all. Just more dreary academic 'humor.'

J-I-B

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
raisindot said:
pip said:

I've read all of these except for 9, 10 and 4. Not sure they are all THE funniest books, but most of them deserve to be on the some kind of best humor books. The one I quibble most with is "Lucky Jim." Frankly, I've ever quite discovered why this is considered to be such a comic classic. To me it isn't funny at all. Just more dreary academic 'humor.'

J-I-B
Of the ones you haven't read I'd thoroughly recommend Three men in a boat. :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
raisindot said:
The one I quibble most with is "Lucky Jim." Frankly, I've ever quite discovered why this is considered to be such a comic classic. To me it isn't funny at all. Just more dreary academic 'humor.'

J-I-B
By coincidence, I'm reading this now for reading group. It is funny! Maybe it's funnier to me because I work in a university (academics can be funny too, you know :p )

User Menu

Newsletter