SPOILERS Torchwood - possible spoilers

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Anyone watching the new series of Torchwood on the BBC?

I've been watching it through the BBC iPlayer and have been really impressed with it so far. Of course, being set in and filmed in Cardiff, I have fun location spotting. :laugh:

superfurryandy

Lance-Corporal
Apr 29, 2009
Ena's Feld
I kinda gave up on it last series but have been most impressed this week - I thought the scene where Frobisher questions the 456 (Wed ep) was very well done, well paced and full of tension. Even Barrowman's impressed me!

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I watched every episode of Torchwood yesterday on i player. I couldn't not see what was happening after each prog. :laugh: Including the last, they put that one on quickly. It was 12.45 a.m. before it finished. :eek: :laugh:
I thought the series excellent, but Oh! What a naff ending!!

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
Torchwood as a TV series was starting to bore me, but these 5 episodes by Russell T Davies have been brilliantly written.
I will miss his input on the next series of Doctor Who.

Apr 29, 2009
London
It's been left like a series finalé, but also open to future episodes.

In fact, RTD has said in the last few days that series 4 is ready to go, and all it needs is the green light from the BBC.

He's also said he's willing to write them for the next ten years, but I think that's going a bit too far!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I disagree. Jack had to make a huge sacrifice. Not only did he lose his partner, but he killed his own grandson and earned the total hatred of his daughter.

Torchwood has been just about destroyed and he's had to fight people who should be on his side. He's gone off to lick his wounds - he's had enough of Earth for the moment and who can blame him?

So him going off like that seems to me to be perfectly logical. :laugh:

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
It wasn't the fact that Jack went off, Tony, I agree he had to, it was the way he went.
But as I have never seen any of the other series, perhaps he always goes off into the sky like a comet in a beam of light, with that device strapped to his wrist, though how convenient it was mended. :eek: :)
I much prefer the Tardis, something solid under your feet :laugh:

superfurryandy

Lance-Corporal
Apr 29, 2009
Ena's Feld
Well, I never thought I'd be singing the praises of Torchwood quite so much, but last week's stripped series was head and shoulders above the usual flummery and nonsense, enjoyable as that was at times.

The day was saved, but there was no happy ending, and I loved the twist with Bridget Spears and the PM - Barrowman was as good as I've seen him, and Capaldi was simply superb, bringing a tortured stillness to his character that spoke volumes even when he was silent - his major scene with the 456 (Wed ep) was a masterpiece of economy and pacing, and how heart rending was his final walk up the stairs and into the bedroom.

Nicholas Farrell was rather good as the PM as well.

Overall, very good indeed.

Tonyblack said:
I've been watching the Sarah Jane Adventures on the iPlayer recently. The one with the clown really freaked me out. I hate clowns! :eek:
Clowns freak me out too ... but what I really find scary are children's nursery rhymes said in haunting echoes. I find that real scary! :eek:

Oh and I love Sarah Jane - never really bothered about Torchwood as I can't stand Captain Jack! Not into over confident guys with american/canadian accents ... especially those who puts it about!

Someone once complained about SJA being a cheap spin-off of Dr. Who ... The editor of ceefax pages said: er ... isn't that the point? :rolleyes:

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Bouncy Castle said:
Series 4 seems to be a-go-go!!

http://www.flicksnews.net/2009/08/torch ... irmed.html

Excellent news!
Great news. :laugh: Especially if the story's as good as series three: 'Children of Earth'. I actually thought the style of a serialized story over five episodes, rather than 13 separate episode, worked much better and allowed for an all round higher quality.

User Menu

Newsletter